You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

If we were to sign one more player....

If we were to make one more signing.....  

100 members have voted

1. 1. If we were to make one more signing this summer, would you go for a midfielder or a forward

I was in conversation with @dave u on the transfer thread and we were talking about maybe being in for Saka. I am really keen if we have one more signing left in us, I'd get a midfielder because I think we're weak there. But if we could get a replacement for Salah/firmino in now, I would be up for that too. Especially if it's a deal like Saka potentially at 40m. I'll post our last messages after this. 

This is the last part of our discussion

17 minutes ago, dave u said:

Do you think we'd sign him now when we already have Salah, Firmino, Diaz, Jota and Nunez?

I mean, I can certainly make a case for why we should (a season bedding in before replacing Bosman Mo) but can you see us actually doing that? I can't.

Funny you should say that as I was just about to start a thread on that very subject. Yeah, I could see that, especially as firmino and Salah are both out of contract next season. I'm not too stressed about bedding forwards in, klopp has actually shown he doesn't seem to need to do that with forwards. But I think the only issue about bringing him in now is a squad management one. I don't think money is a problem as cash won't be an issue, transfers are spread over the period of a contract and from a P&L perspective amortised over their contract. So all it would be effectively is finding 1 year's salary and 1 year's amortisation for P&L purposes - dunno what the salary would be, £6-7m per year? And on a 5 year deal, just £8m amortisation. That's just no issue for us. 

We're a very opportunistic club with signings and if we like Saka and he's available because of a CL release clause at 40m, I would be amazed if we weren't in for him. 

• Upvote 1

If you can get Saka at 40 million(ish) then you'd be stupid not to take it and go into the season top heavy, knowing Salah is leaving, and next summer, looking for more of a utility player who can play on the right side of the attack and double up as a Firmino replacement (a right sided Jota if you like)

It takes the pressure off knowing you can concentrate on the midfield next year without having to also go big on the right side of the attack.

I don't think it'll happen because I think the club might make one more push for Salah between now and Christmas and until they're 100% with what's happening with that they won't want to commit.

• Upvote 1

Have felt that Saka for £40m was a no brainer this summer ever since it was first mentioned months ago - and that was (and is) irrespective of other business. That deal is the very definition of a bargain in the context of modern football: young, English and very talented. Get it done Jurgen lad. 

A midfielder is a must, take Fabinho and Thiago away and there's very little going on. We faced the prospect of going up against Madrid with Milner, Keita and Henderson.

That's a decent midfield but compared to our attack, defence and goalkeeper it's by far the weak link.

I'd love to see a proper athlete in there, an Edgar Davids-like box to box ferocious motherfucker with real talent.

• Upvote 3

I think we are safe up front, but wouldnt put it against Mo to say I want to go right at the death of the window, (Mane gone) (Mo to follow) no pun intended, and it wouldnt be the first time we have lost our top striker at the windows death. (Torres)

We are pretty weak in the middle if truth be told, and we need something in there now.

When I say weak, I mean if we have an injury or two we suddenly run out of options, or we play sub par/not as good players in the middle.

So midfield it is for me, the front are sound with or without Mo, and the defence is pretty solid in all positions, with cover.

Thiago and Fabinho are the only two midfielders we have that are really top class. Ideally we should have 4 or 5 of those, and a couple of very promising youngsters in addition.

Thiago can’t be relied upon to stay fit, and if Fabinho got a lengthy absence it would be a disaster.

If possible we should bring in two top class midfielders this summer. One of the two should have DM as his best position, the other one should be a box to box type. With two in either Keita or Henderson would probably have to leave, in addition to Ox that should be sold regardless of who we get in or not.

Edit: From what I understand two new first team signings in midfield just isn’t gonna happen. I acknowledge that our policy is waiting until the right players are available. Which is a good way to operate imo, but puts us in a difficult position short term with the lack of true quality in midfield.

Hard to say. Thiago and Fabinhoare  widely accepted as world class midfielders, and upfront we only have Salah who’s world class, and looks like he wants to leave. Therefore I’d probably go with a right sided forward.

I've gone with a midfielder but that's mostly because I don't think we'd bring in another forward while Mo is still here. It also depends on who the midfielder is I suppose. I'll take Bellingham over any forward signing currently, and personally I'd love us to go for Conor Gallagher (whether Chelsea would sell is another matter).

But if Saka is actually available for £40m and if Mo is definitely not extending, then I'd happily see us make that move right now even if it meant no midfielder.

Now let me just pull that splinter out of my arse cheek.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, Section_31 said:

A midfielder is a must, take Fabinho and Thiago away and there's very little going on. We faced the prospect of going up against Madrid with Milner, Keita and Henderson.

That's a decent midfield but compared to our attack, defence and goalkeeper it's by far the weak link.

I'd love to see a proper athlete in there, an Edgar Davids-like box to box ferocious motherfucker with real talent.

Completely with you on this. I struggle to see how anyone wants anything different.

Take Thiago out of that midfield and we are nothing special. Particularly if Fabinho is out too.

On the basis that Thiago misses loads of games over the course of a season and next season will probably miss even more as he gets older I struggle to see how it isn't a no brainer.

17 minutes ago, Captain Turdseye said:

Where’s this talk of Saka replacing Salah come from? Fucking hell. That sounds atrocious. 

Any player we sign is going to be a downgrade on Salah (and may remain a downgrade).

The ideal scenario from a squad building perspective is that Diaz and Nunez, with a year under their belts, are up to speed and it takes the pressure off his replacement so they're afforded the same settling in period.

3 hours ago, dave u said:

I've gone with a midfielder but that's mostly because I don't think we'd bring in another forward while Mo is still here. It also depends on who the midfielder is I suppose. I'll take Bellingham over any forward signing currently, and personally I'd love us to go for Conor Gallagher (whether Chelsea would sell is another matter).

But if Saka is actually available for £40m and if Mo is definitely not extending, then I'd happily see us make that move right now even if it meant no midfielder.

Now let me just pull that splinter out of my arse cheek.

I don't see why Klopp couldn't turn Saka into a right sided midfielder.  The lad is young, bright, and is a fantastic prospect.

20 hours ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

I'd honestly take Gini back for a season. Wouldn't need any learning of the Klopp way and has a great fitness record. We don't look to be buying a Midfielder so get him on loan for a season until a proper long term option presents itself. 

we honestly need better than Gini.  He's better than what we have, but not by enough.