You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pre-season 2022

JohnnyH

On 06/07/2023 at 19:30, Scott_M said:

I hope everybody has been working out like this and coming back to preseason suitably motivated…

I like Hendo, but having a photographer document your additional fitness work comes across as more than a little a bit needy.  

• Upvote 2

13 hours ago, El Rojo said:

I like Hendo, but having a photographer document your additional fitness work comes across as more than a little a bit needy.  

I get peoples point on this, IMO I’d rather see posts like this than stories of other below par performers last season out partying to Calvin Harris and have beers with players from rival clubs. 

Not a criticism of VVD, he can spend his time off as he likes, I just hope he’s back to his very, very best next season. 

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Charismatic was the one that jumped out at me. I can't think of a less charismatic pundit. He's even out done by Danny Murphy. 

I think he is very good with his insight into attackers thought processes.

• Upvote 1

Charismatic he certainly is not, but the most egregious descriptor on that list is "cool."

As if anyone who could remotely be described as "cool" would go to the effort of hiring a marketing firm to promote him as a brand ambassador. Anyone who's ever heard Michael Owen speak would go into hysterics at the thought of describing him as "cool."

21 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

Jordan is still only a 33 year old man and has been an athlete all his life, I fully expect him to be in good shape its his job. Working on his fitness is to be expected, same for all of them. I'm hoping less games for him means when we do need him he's at the peak he can be.

The biggest challenge he may have is his role in the team. It looks like his old 8 position is going to be expected to deliver quality attacking play, which is not really his bag. Milner through this period of his career got his games by being able to do pretty much everything across midfield and full back - when klopp wanted some experience he could chuck milner anywhere. I don't know if Henderson has this in him - I hope I'm.wrong, but he's never come across as someone who has this type of tactical flexibility to his gsme. My guess is he'll end up as one of the 6s, but I don't know he'll get a lot of game time. 

10 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Yeah, but he's not charismatic! 

Ha ha, not arguing that

He's a bit self-centred to say the least as well.

My friend used to have a driving job and his firm got the contract to pick up and return England players to camp and match officials etc. He had to take Michael and his wife ( heavily pregnant ) home at one point and as he pulled up in the driveway, Owen jumps out and nips smartly into the house leaving his Mrs still in the car to sort out the 3 or 4 pieces of luggage. The mate obviously carries them in, but he was astonished.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, sir roger said:

Ha ha, not arguing that

My friend used to have a driving job and his firm got the contract to pick up and return England players to camp and match officials etc. He had to take Michael and his wife ( heavily pregnant ) home at one point and as he pulled up in the driveway, Owen jumps out and nips smartly into the house leaving his Mrs still in the car to sort out the 3 or 4 pieces of luggage. The mate obviously carries them in, but he was astonished.

The lad can’t win. If he’d helped her in people would be complaining he wasn’t selfish enough when opportunities arose.

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, sir roger said:

Ha ha, not arguing that

Suarez would have walked around to help his wife out, feigned elbow contact and brought one hand up to his choppers while storming around brandishing an imaginary yellow card with the other.

Human nature being what it is, we might see an upsurge in form from Hendo and Fabinho now that there’s genuine, expensively attained competition for their places. I reckon they’ll both play important roles next season, particularly Fabinho, who finally got some time off this summer. 

• Upvote 2