You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Pre-season 2022

JohnnyH

3 hours ago, an tha said:

I preferred the days when pre season was just something that happened without all the bullshit that happens now and you might have seen a couple of lines in the echo about the pre season games at most.

Only really paid it any attention at all/it was news was when the charity shield came around.

Better days.

Normally I'm glad for the pre-season stuff to come back, I'd sooner watch our u19s getting pre-season game time and loads of our fans losing their head because they're all going to be the greatest in the world ever than July sports - wank tennis and the complete nonsense that is F1 and the British GP. But at the moment I don't feel I've had sufficient break. I think the aftermath of Paris has made it feel like last season is kind of still going. It certainly doesn't feel closed for me.  

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Normally I'm glad for the pre-season stuff to come back, I'd sooner watch our u19s getting pre-season game time and loads of our fans losing their head because they're all going to be the greatest in the world ever than July sports - wank tennis and the complete nonsense that is F1 and the British GP. But at the moment I don't feel I've had sufficient break. I think the aftermath of Paris has made it feel like last season is kind of still going. It certainly doesn't feel closed for me.  

Last season whilst boss in terms of being in for everything until the death was constant stress - but that is case now anyway as the ask to win league is so ridiculous compared to what it was.

Needing to be nigh on perfect, when a draw is a bad result, when any dropped points feel almost fatal, when over 90 pts is not necessarily anywhere near enough - is just stressful in the extreme and it is relentless....the days of half a dozen losses and you can still be fighting for title or long gone, and it is making every week so fucking stressful.

So yeah a break from it is needed!

Have to register tomorrow morning for the bulk ticket sales for 1st half of season - so all that additional stress of ballots and waiting for ACS results (despite being in it since it started have to "apply" every year) etc etc starts again too.

Fucking game...good job we love this football club.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, an tha said:

Last season whilst boss in terms of being in for everything until the death was constant stress - but that is case now anyway as the ask to win league is so ridiculous compared to what it was.

Needing to be nigh on perfect, when a draw is a bad result, when any dropped points feel almost fatal, when over 90 pts is not necessarily anywhere near enough - is just stressful in the extreme and it is relentless....the days of half a dozen losses and you can still be fighting for title or long gone, and it is making every week so fucking stressful.

So yeah a break from it is needed!

Have to register tomorrow morning for the bulk ticket sales for 1st half of season - so all that additional stress of ballots and waiting for ACS results (despite being in it since it started have to "apply" every year) etc etc starts again too.

Fucking game...good job we love this football club.

I'm glad I don't have to do all that stuff, I think it would quickly damage my joy for it all. 

11 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm glad I don't have to do all that stuff, I think it would quickly damage my joy for it all. 

Don't know how other clubs do it, but i can't imagine there are many who make it as convoluted, awkward and time consuming as ours.

• Upvote 1

On 24/06/2022 at 22:19, Kevin D said:

I didn’t really think we were going to win that one, in fairness. After being mad at Ramos and Karius, I got over it in a couple of days.

Wool.

What the hell is going on with us playing a friendly 24 hours after the charity shield? 
I’ve just bought tickets for it, now I wonder will it be a team of kids?

21 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I could do with another month off for sure. 

3 hours ago, alles ist gut said:

Capture.PNG

From the stills, but not part of the video, the lesser-spotted Kaide Gordon

He'd surely benefit more from a season-long loan than the few League Cup minutes he might otherwise get. 

Salah/Firmino/Diaz/Nunez/Jota and potentially Carvalho up there too. Some great options there. 

We’ve really come a long way, as The Athletic points out this pre season (putting less commercial pressures on the squad who appear very settled.)

“It’s certainly a far cry from the circumstances surrounding Liverpool’s last trip to Thailand seven years ago. Fans were restless and Rodgers was fighting for his job after narrowly surviving an end-of-season review following a disastrous end to 2014-15 that culminated in a 6-1 humiliation at Stoke City. Coaches Mike Marsh and Colin Pascoe had been sacked with Sean O’Driscoll appointed assistant manager. Pep Lijnders and Gary McAllister were also added to the first-team staff.

Steven Gerrard had just brought the curtain down on his Anfield career, Raheem Sterling had belatedly forced through a move to Manchester City, Mario Balotelli and Fabio Borini had been left behind as Liverpool tried to off-load them, while Roberto Firmino and Philippe Coutinho were absent following their commitments at the Copa America.

Rodgers cut an agitated figure as he tried to convince the owners to trigger Christian Benteke’s £32.5 million release clause. On the second leg of the trip in Brisbane, he eventually got his wish. Within three months Rodgers had gone and the Belgian attacker didn’t last much longer.

Liverpool lined up against the Thai All Stars in Bangkok in July 2015  with Adam Bogdan in goal and Rickie Lambert up front.”

• Upvote 6

8 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

We’ve really come a long way, as The Athletic points out this pre season (putting less commercial pressures on the squad who appear very settled.)

“It’s certainly a far cry from the circumstances surrounding Liverpool’s last trip to Thailand seven years ago. Fans were restless and Rodgers was fighting for his job after narrowly surviving an end-of-season review following a disastrous end to 2014-15 that culminated in a 6-1 humiliation at Stoke City. Coaches Mike Marsh and Colin Pascoe had been sacked with Sean O’Driscoll appointed assistant manager. Pep Lijnders and Gary McAllister were also added to the first-team staff.

Steven Gerrard had just brought the curtain down on his Anfield career, Raheem Sterling had belatedly forced through a move to Manchester City, Mario Balotelli and Fabio Borini had been left behind as Liverpool tried to off-load them, while Roberto Firmino and Philippe Coutinho were absent following their commitments at the Copa America.

Rodgers cut an agitated figure as he tried to convince the owners to trigger Christian Benteke’s £32.5 million release clause. On the second leg of the trip in Brisbane, he eventually got his wish. Within three months Rodgers had gone and the Belgian attacker didn’t last much longer.

Liverpool lined up against the Thai All Stars in Bangkok in July 2015  with Adam Bogdan in goal and Rickie Lambert up front.”

Jesus that's one depressing read. Thank God for Jurgen Klopp.

• Upvote 1