You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Vieira's dive

Brownie

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the French telly, the commentator said it was an act of great sportsmanship from Vieira for putting his hand up and admitting he dived... :whistle:

Sort of like shooting someone in the leg and being praised for not shooting them in the face.

Anyone notice that Houillier has put on what looks like 30 lbs? He does the French tv colour commentary and he looked right tubby when they showed him in the booth. It's not good for someone who had a heart attack recently.

To me (and probably the ref) it looked like he was trying to avoid a possibly dangerous tackle (a tackle that never came).

A possibly dangerous tackle?? If he thought it was a potentially dangerous challenge then he shouldn't be playing football. The "challenge" was like any other challenge just to get the ball plain and simple. It was ankle high, it's not as if the challenge was knee high like Toure's in the 3rd minute.

What I am saying is, if you are gonna throw yourself to the floor when someone aims a boot at you (without doubt Viera knew that Hamman had pulled his foot back again) then you are not gonna go into a 50/50 tackle with any kind of commitment.

One of the heroes of politics once said: "I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them."

I’ve watched the Vieira dive again on my VCR, and ….. I was wrong. Actually it looks like Vieira tried to get Hamann booked, then realised the ref wouldn’t fall for it and immediately gesturing it was no foul so that he wouldn’t get a second booking himself.

UTM, Tom R and Tim: I’m bending over!

One of the heroes of politics once said: "I have opinions of my own -- strong opinions -- but I don't always agree with them."

I’ve watched the Vieira dive again on my VCR, and ….. I was wrong. Actually it looks like Vieira tried to get Hamann booked, then realised the ref wouldn’t fall for it and immediately gesturing it was no foul so that he wouldn’t get a second booking himself.

Hallelujah :thumbsup:

*inserts pineapple up Tosh's tea-towel holder* ;-)

Been in Copenhagen for four days. Come back and guess what. Gerrard still dived.

Fact.

Not sure about Shankly thinking i'm controlling what people think but football is a contact sport. Your foot touching someones knee is by defenition not a foul. I'll have £50 with anyone who thinks it is. By the way I'm a qualified ref.

Been in Copenhagen for four days. Come back and guess what. Gerrard still dived.

Fact.

Not sure about Shankly thinking i'm controlling what people think but football is a contact sport. Your foot touching someones knee is by defenition not a foul. I'll have £50 with anyone who thinks it is. By the way I'm a qualified ref.

Not usually one to defend "Stevie", as you well know, but I don't think he "dived". I think he was turning in and just fell like a clown. The contact was purely coincidental and timed well with his fasll and he'd have fell anyway.

Not a dive, but deffo not a pen either.

Vierra, though. Absolute fuicking disgrace. 152-match ban I reckon.

It was a foul.The defender raised his foot to trip Gerrard and struck his knee.Whether he then decided to fall is irrelevant.

You don't have to be brought to ground to be fouled but refs won't give a penalty without a fall which is a big reason for so much diving.

It was a foul if it did actually knock him off balance, but i don't believe it did.

Hypothetical for you people. Two players running alongside each other, one leg touches the other player's leg slightly, but so much as to affect his balance at all. We think this is a foul? It isn't. It's called contact. Football is a contact sport.

Please look at it again troops...he looks like someone has hit him in the back with a mortar. Don't know about you nut my natural reaction when I fall is to put a hand out to land on, not throw them both in the air as if i'm about to take off.

Vieira was 3 ft past Didi, Tom's 10 match ban would sort this shit out.

By the way I'm a qualified ref.

Can you then enlighten us whether the Danish ref who did NOT disallow Saviola's goal was right because, in his own words, "the ball went for the hand and not the other way 'round", although Saviola/Monaco definitely benefited from this handball?

The rules say that a foul should be given if the handball is deliberate, which in this case I think it was not, but it's hard to understand why they don't give freekicks to the other team when the attacking team gains such an advantage from a non-deliberate handball.