Sign in to follow this  
Bjornebye

Nicolo Barella - Our New Italian Stallion?

2 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Actually, his goal scoring for Inter is pretty poor.

3 seasons, 135 games, 11 goals. 

CM. 13 assists in 48 games last year. 

5 hours ago, Remmie said:

Have to pick you up on this, don't buy players because they are Italian has to be one of the most tedious piles of superstitious bollocks that gets repeatedly trotted out here. Mo and Allison came from the Italian league and did alright. I am aware they aren't Italian but if we are using a tiny sample size as definitive proof than that is about as useful. 

I'll go on Dossena, Aquilani, Balotelli, Borini, Padelli and Paletta ... actual Italians and every single one we've ever signed, before I go on Mo or Ali. A zero percent hit rate.

They were among the absolute worst signings ever made by the club and just hearing their names makes me shudder and thank my lucky stars we aren't that shit anymore. Enough to make anyone swear off them for life. 

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Remmie said:

Have to pick you up on this, don't buy players because they are Italian has to be one of the most tedious piles of superstitious bollocks that gets repeatedly trotted out here. Mo and Allison came from the Italian league and did alright. I am aware they aren't Italian but if we are using a tiny sample size as definitive proof than that is about as useful. 

I had assumed it was a running joke. Because, as you allude to, the alternative is real window licking territory. 

4 hours ago, Scott_M said:

I'm sure you're aware he was suspended and that was the joke!

Anyways, great player. Was my favourite player at the Euro's last summer. A goal scoring midfielder who gets in the box. It'd be all in on him signing for us if there was a thread of truth it it. 

Unfortunately there won't be.

Are you confusing him.with the lad from Juve that done his knee in?

8 hours ago, Chris said:

I'll go on Dossena, Aquilani, Balotelli, Borini, Padelli and Paletta ... actual Italians and every single one we've ever signed, before I go on Mo or Ali. A zero percent hit rate.

They were among the absolute worst signings ever made by the club and just hearing their names makes me shudder and thank my lucky stars we aren't that shit anymore. Enough to make anyone swear off them for life. 

A bit pedantic, but Paletta was Argentinian and didn't switch until after we sold him. 

We also bought two piss-poor Senegalese players about 20 years ago. Were you warning about the folly of buying Mané?

The Italian league has changed a lot in recent years. Their games now feature plenty of goals and have a focus based more on attacking play than the past. The right signing could be as valid as a signing from any other major european league.

8 hours ago, No2 said:

Are you confusing him.with the lad from Juve that done his knee in?

No. That was Ferderico Chiesa. I also thought he was a very, very good player as well. 

Have we been linked by any credible source? I don't know why, but it just doesn't feel credible to me. I'm sure at 50-60m and keita moving to knock that down it's achievable and I assuming he's not earning stupid money at inter. But then we would have to give him a good pay rise I reckon. 

1 hour ago, Jose Jones said:

Yep, swap deals never happen.

Not with Italian teams.... they will want Keita, 80 million and an option to buy back Barella next summer for 4 million after they keep him on loan for this season (we pay 90% of his wages). 

8 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

A bit pedantic, but Paletta was Argentinian and didn't switch until after we sold him. 

We also bought two piss-poor Senegalese players about 20 years ago. Were you warning about the folly of buying Mané?

Fair point. No I wasn't worried about Mane because of Diouf and Diao. 

But 0 for 6 (5 by your count) on Italian players and them being great big massive 0s is a bigger sample size. Plus the absence of a track record of Italian players being effective in the Premier League in the last ten or 15 years. African players on the other hand...

I don't like Italian footy, never have, even since it was everyone's perfect Sunday lunch coma nap on Channel 4 in the 90s. Find it boring, uninspiring and lacking quality and don't find 'shithousing' endearing.

3 minutes ago, Chris said:

Fair point. No I wasn't worried about Mane because of Diouf and Diao. 

But 0 for 6 (5 by your count) on Italian players and them being great big massive 0s is a bigger sample size. Plus the absence of a track record of Italian players being effective in the Premier League in the last ten or 15 years. African players on the other hand...

I don't like Italian footy, never have, even since it was everyone's perfect Sunday lunch coma nap on Channel 4 in the 90s. Find it boring, uninspiring and lacking quality and don't find 'shithousing' endearing.

Does your avatar drop a huge hint that we're in for Craig Bellamy?

• Upvote 1

Just now, El Rojo said:

Haha, now there's a player that'd have been great under Klopp. 

It's I called him David Bellingham (a reference to who we would have signed instead of Jude in the past) in a recent podcast, to much hilarity from the other pisstakers.

7 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Diaz reminds me a bit of Bellamy.