You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Someone’s Having a Real Laugh - How Long Until They ‘Bin Bag’ Ten Hag?

13 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Hehe. He had a bad year but was good for them the year prior. I reckon they need a right back more. Wan-Bissaka is solid enough defensively but he is useless going forward, I’d look at bringing Lamptey or Livramento too. 

The problem is the system. Maguire did well for them when they were a counter-attacking side. He's perfect for a team sitting deep, where he can stick his Easter Island statue forehead on everything and everyone, and not have to worry about space behind him.

As soon as the fans expected more, and Solskjaer pushed the team further up the pitch, he showed his limited mobility. There's no way to accommodate him in a high press, unless a midfielder is always on hand to wipe his arse.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

The problem is the system. Maguire did well for them when they were a counter-attacking side. He's perfect for a team sitting deep, where he can stick his Easter Island statue forehead on everything and everyone, and not have to worry about space behind him.

As soon as the fans expected more, and Solskjaer pushed the team further up the pitch, he showed his limited mobility. There's no way to accommodate him in a high press, unless a midfielder is always on hand to wipe his arse.

They didn’t play with a DM last year, I reckon with De Jong he’d be okay, as from what I recall De Jong is good defensively, played centre half for Ajax. 

17 minutes ago, aRdja said:

They didn’t play with a DM last year, I reckon with De Jong he’d be okay, as from what I recall De Jong is good defensively, played centre half for Ajax. 

Fair point. Sounds like De Jong wants to be the deepest midfielder, so it could mitigate Maguire's limitations a bit.

49 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

They played Fred and McTominay more often than not - two muckers that can only be termed "offensive".

They sound like the stunningly dull headline act someone would announce on an old TV hogmanay broadcast. 'Thanks once again there to the Glasgow Women's Police Pipe and Drum band! Lovely stuff there girls! And now, a real treat fer ye all: Fred and McTominay!!!'

Played with two DM’s last season for the majority and teams still exposed Maguire…

They’ll shell goals again next season imo, Ronaldo staying will add fuel to the fire because if he stays he’ll have a big sulk on because he’ll be expected to press and work harder than he did last season, glorious.

De Jong would help them in a lot of ways, but they could also be made to look like mugs because it's obvious he doesn't really want to go there. I get why they're trying to sign him as it's a good opportunity with Barca needing to sell, but buying a player who doesn't want to come could be a disaster. We would never do something like that under Klopp. 

Eriksen on a free is decent on paper. I think he can play with Fernandes or he can replace Fernandes, but again, it's a risk, this one because of his health.

If they sign Lisandro Lopez I can see him playing alongside de Jong (again if he signs) in midfield rather than in defence, despite the idea he's good defensively he's predominantly a player who dictates plays and is better on the ball.

Lopez would assume the Lasse Schone/Edson Alvarez role.

49 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

If they sign Lisandro Lopez I can see him playing alongside de Jong (again if he signs) in midfield rather than in defence, despite the idea he's good defensively he's predominantly a player who dictates plays and is better on the ball.

Lopez would assume the Lasse Schone/Edson Alvarez role.

That could work yeah. Lopez is too small for CB in Premier League I'd have thought. He's 5 foot 9.

51 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Erik Ten Hag confirms that Harry Maguire will remain as Manchester United captain.

leonardo-dicaprio-toast (1).gif

It’s laughable but also… who else do you put in there?

De Gea would qualify mainly by dint of “Has been there a long time and gets paid loads.” There’s no chance they’ll be able to shift him easily, but he does limit how they play. 
In the back four, only Varane and Maguire are automatic choices - what’s Varane’s English like?

The midfield is clearly a void; knowingly who the hell they’ll play is a big enough ask, but picking a captain from Fred, McTominnay or an imaginary player they haven’t signed yet would be bold.

All their wide forwards are misfiring. 
Which leaves one option: Captain CR7.

Lopez = Small Argentinean left back/centre back/midfielder currently at Ajax wanted by Utd/Arsenal

Schone = Danish utility player who played alongside de Jong at Ajax under Ten Hag

Alvarez = Mexican defensive midfielder currently at Ajax.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

Lopez = Small Argentinean left back/centre back/midfielder currently at Ajax wanted by Utd/Arsenal

Schone = Danish utility player who played alongside de Jong at Ajax under Ten Hag

Alvarez = Mexican defensive midfielder currently at Ajax.

It's Lisandro Martinez, not Lopez. Lisandro Lopez was a striker who played for Lyon years ago. 

Just now, 3 Stacks said:

It's Lisandro Martinez, not Lopez. Lisandro Lopez was a striker who played for Lyon years ago. 

Hah, you're right. It's Martinez. 

Apologies, I was just about to watch Otoboke Beaver. Highly recommended by the way for all fans of female Japanese hard core punk bands. They were glorious. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah I keep calling him Lopez even though my head says Martinez (and I have two tabs open with Martinez in them.

Lisandro Lopez will always be Porto's Lopez rather than Lyon's.