You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Paul McCartney - greatest living Liverpudlian

johnsusername

I dont think its a fair reflection of McCartney to list The Beatles stuff as examples of him alone as they were collaborations of which he played a large part in of course. His individual stuff has been largely bland and highlights why The Beatles were so brilliant as they fed off each other. I wasnt a great fan of Lennon's individual stuff either yet him and McCartney were incredible together.

1 hour ago, Tony Moanero said:

No need to delete the thread, just change the title.

The thing is Tony, it's not just the title, it's what it sets up as a topic and the opening post.

It's horrible and not representative of who I was then over ten years ago and certainly not now.

We've all posted drunken, ill thought out shite on here at some point.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Remmie said:

Which came first, the jazz funk version of get back or funky town? 

I think this is one of the most magical, beautiful things, I’ve ever seen. We are privileged to have been able to watch a creative process developed by the greatest band of them all. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

On 19/06/2022 at 17:25, VladimirIlyich said:

I dont think its a fair reflection of McCartney to list The Beatles stuff as examples of him alone as they were collaborations of which he played a large part in of course. His individual stuff has been largely bland and highlights why The Beatles were so brilliant as they fed off each other. I wasnt a great fan of Lennon's individual stuff either yet him and McCartney were incredible together.

In popular culture, only Brian Wilson is close to McCartney in terms of musical genius. At his peak he was ridiculously inspired and prodigious. I've always been a massive Lennon fan, but in strictly musical terms McCartney was out on is own - his range, his versatility, his technical levels.

He can play just about any instrument - he plays the drums on 'Dear Prudence,' 'Back in the USSR,' ‘Martha My Dear’ and ‘The Ballad of John and Yoko.’ He plays lead guitar on numerous songs, including 'Taxman'. Unlike the others, he could go into a studio with a clear sense of every aspect of a new song, and he led the way in terms of musical experimentation. The talent is absolutely incredible.

On top of that, I can't think of anyone who coped better with such fame. He's essentially a really decent man.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, gkmacca said:

In popular culture, only Brian Wilson is close to McCartney in terms of musical genius. At his peak he was ridiculously inspired and prodigious. I've always been a massive Lennon fan, but in strictly musical terms McCartney was out on is own - his range, his versatility, his technical levels.

He can play just about any instrument - he plays the drums on 'Dear Prudence,' 'Back in the USSR,' ‘Martha My Dear’ and ‘The Ballad of John and Yoko.’ He plays lead guitar on numerous songs, including 'Taxman'. Unlike the others, he could go into a studio with a clear sense of every aspect of a new song, and he led the way in terms of musical experimentation. The talent is absolutely incredible.

On top of that, I can't think of anyone who coped better with such fame. He's essentially a really decent man.

For year many people believed that Lennon was the Beatles and the driving force. What Get Back proved is that it was McCartney who driving the band on.

A true musical genius. I never agree with anything Paul Gambaccini says but he was right on one thing. He always said whenever he was in the same room as McCartney he always thought he was in the company of a modern day Mozart

It's nice now that he finally seems to be getting the respect and affection he deserves from people in his own country. Elton John, for example, would behave disgracefully, treating others like his inferiors, calling women the c-word, acting like a spoilt brat, and he'd get a far easier ride than McCartney, who behaves as 'normally' as possible given his fame and seemed to actually get sneered at for not being an arrogant tit. 

• Upvote 1

I saw him in Orlando a month ago, and it seems he played the exact same set as on the weekend, but we didn't get Glory Days and I Saw Her Standing There. It really was magical. I wasn't expecting Golden Slumbers and Carry That Weight as part of the encore and absolutely blubbed. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, redheart said:

For year many people believed that Lennon was the Beatles and the driving force. What Get Back proved is that it was McCartney who driving the band on.

A true musical genius. I never agree with anything Paul Gambaccini says but he was right on one thing. He always said whenever he was in the same room as McCartney he always thought he was in the company of a modern day Mozart

I think that's very true. But Lennon's input was the 'special sauce' that combined to give them that brilliance,not forgetting Harrison's inventiveness on the guitar before developing his own songwriting prowess. It needed all that input to make The Beatles what they were. Not forgetting Ringo's relentless rhythm that drove those songs. I'm not a fan of McCartney's solo stuff as I think his music is better in a band.

46 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I think that's very true. But Lennon's input was the 'special sauce' that combined to give them that brilliance,not forgetting Harrison's inventiveness on the guitar before developing his own songwriting prowess. It needed all that input to make The Beatles what they were. Not forgetting Ringo's relentless rhythm that drove those songs. I'm not a fan of McCartney's solo stuff as I think his music is better in a band.

I think as well it's too easy to look into that window of a month period or whatever it was and see macca at his peak then, when really it looked like Lennon's mind was elsewhere. It could be like watching Mo Salah in the 2nd half of this season and concluding Mane is the better player. 

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think as well it's too easy to look into that window of a month period or whatever it was and see macca at his peak then, when really it looked like Lennon's mind was elsewhere. It could be like watching Mo Salah in the 2nd half of this season and concluding Mane is the better player. 

I'd say that by the time Get Back was filmed both Lennon and Harrison were looking to get out and weren't as motivated as McCartney was. Imagine them when they were motivated!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I'd say that by the time Get Back was filmed both Lennon and Harrison were looking to get out 

Lennon would actually still be proposing ways to stay together after they did their last recordings. 

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/sep/11/the-beatles-break-up-mark-lewisohn-abbey-road-hornsey-road

When Harrison left his immediate reaction was to suggest bringing Clapton in. But he always had long periods of writer's block, and laziness, in between bouts of creativity. If it wasn't McCartney it was Yoko - he needed pushing.

Harrison gets the most romanticised treatment IMHO. He had quite a few songs for his first solo album more because he was so slow at working them up rather than any supposed resistance to his input (The Beatles worked on All Things Must Pass fo ages and he still didn't know what to do to it), and after that, was his output that impressive? 'Gone Troppo,' anyone?  Every journalist looking to make an 'interesting' critical claim will always hype up George's work - whilst probably having few of his records in their collection.