You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Calvin Ramsay - Welcome to Liverpool

Given how much adjustment time Klopp has given to more established defensive players I'd be surprised if he plays much of a part next season.

Gomez will be second choice to Trent so we might see him in the carabao when Gomez switches to CB but not sure where he get's games beyond that (maybe a few minutes at the end of a match here and there?)

16 minutes ago, cloggypop said:

If you’ve got three Scots in your side, you’ve got a chance of winning something. If you’ve got any more, you’re in trouble.

Bill Shankly

Everton must have loads of Scots.

2 hours ago, cloggypop said:

If you’ve got three Scots in your side, you’ve got a chance of winning something. If you’ve got any more, you’re in trouble.

Bill Shankly

We do seem to win a lot more trophies when we have a Scot or two in the team.

I wonder if the stats for it are anywhere. 

8 hours ago, m0e said:

Trent will not move into midfield.

The same way Cafu didn't move into midfield.

Hope this helps.

We might have won the European Cup if Trent wasn’t playing in defence but instead a right back who isn’t constantly caught out.

Hope this helps.

3 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

We might have won the European Cup if Trent wasn’t playing in defence but instead a right back who isn’t constantly caught out.

Hope this helps.

Would have helped if Van Dijk closed down the man who was in acres of space on the wing instead of jogging along in a straight line without making a serious effort to go cut out the ball which led to the goal.

Also it's incredible that we play a right back who's "constantly caught out" but we still end up with in the top rank of clean sheets each season. Trent should be giving his wages to the other three defenders who do all the heavy lifting.

8 hours ago, m0e said:

Trent will not move into midfield.

The same way Cafu didn't move into midfield.

Hope this helps.

That’s too simplistic IMO. Steven Gerrard started off at RB and moved to midfield. Trent’s natural position is centre midfield, they moved him to right back in the youth team because that was the shortest path into the first team. 

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

That’s too simplistic IMO. Steven Gerrard started off at RB and moved to midfield. Trent’s natural position is centre midfield, they moved him to right back in the youth team because that was the shortest path into the first team. 

Trent has the whole game in front of him playing right back which suits his vision and passing ability. Gerrard was a rampaging bull who you wanted to be all over the pitch, and most importantly, in the box. So he suited midfield. It's not all that comparable. You have to look at skill sets.

And Trent does midfield type things at right back anyway, he goes central, he changes positions.. And this Ramsay kid looks similar. 

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Trent has the whole game in front of him playing right back which suits his vision and passing ability. Gerrard was a rampaging bull who you wanted to be all over the pitch, and most importantly, in the box. So he suited midfield. It's not all that comparable. You have to look at skill sets.

And Trent does midfield type things at right back anyway, he goes central, he changes positions.. And this Ramsay kid looks similar. 

Which would make a transition more straightforward I would’ve thought. Playing in midfield would allow him to pull the strings without worrying about the likes of Vinicius Jnr or Zaha cheating behind him. I’m ambivalent either way, I just thought m0e’s reasoning was overly simplistic. What does Cafu have to do with Trent? Loads of players moved roles. Even the very best. Maldini moved from full back to centre back, so did Thuram. Lahm and Kimmich moved from full back to midfield. Scholes moved from a second striker to deep lying midfielder, list goes on. 

“If you watch our games you see that Trent’s position already changed, not all games but in games where it is possible the position has changed already so there is no need to make him a midfield player,” Klopp explained.

“It’s a little bit of shame that we talk still in 2021 like this about football. Players play everywhere, especially good players.

“Trent is not very often on the left-wing, that’s true, but on the right-wing already everywhere on the pitch.

“In a game where England is dominant, or when we are that dominant, then Trent could play midfield definitely – I would rather think then the No. 6, or in this case the No. 8, that’s possible.

“But why make the best right-back in the world a midfielder?

“I don’t understand that really. As if the right-back position is not that as important as the others.

“If people say that I struggle to really understand how you could think that.

“Some people think that because he plays 10 yards further up on the pitch he would be more influential.

“Being more influential than Trent Alexander-Arnold in the last how long he has played for me is really tricky and you need to have a proper look to find somebody.

“We adapt and try to use his skillset, absolutely, but in the end, the right-back is the one who defends the right side and he is doing that really well and when we have the ball we use him as good as we can.”

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

Which would make a transition more straightforward I would’ve thought. Playing in midfield would allow him to pull the strings without worrying about the likes of Vinicius Jnr or Zaha cheating behind him. I’m ambivalent either way, I just thought m0e’s reasoning was overly simplistic. What does Cafu have to do with Trent? Loads of players moved roles. Even the very best. Maldini moved from full back to centre back, so did Thuram. Lahm and Kimmich moved from full back to midfield. Scholes moved from a second striker to deep lying midfielder, list goes on. 

I mean, not really. Why do you have to shoehorn someone in midfield when they already do world class playmaking from out wide and in central areas from a different position, and that position clearly suits them?

Kimmich wanted to play midfield, he forced himself there. Lahm in midfield was a Guardiola concoction when he was reaching the end of his career.

In any case, Trent will probably play midfield at some point when his legs start going and whoever manages him doesn't want him running up the side of the pitch anymore, but for now, there's no reason to put him somewhere else. This isn't the mid 2000's; fullbacks can be as creative, if not more, than midfielders. You don't have to move a guy into midfield to have him be more creative. It's not a position that is stifling.

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

I mean, not really. Why do you have to shoehorn someone in midfield when they already do world class playmaking from out wide and in central areas from a different position, and that position clearly suits them?

Kimmich wanted to play midfield, he forced himself there. Lahm in midfield was a Guardiola concoction when he was reaching the end of his career.

In any case, Trent will probably play midfield at some point when his legs start going and whoever manages him doesn't want him running up the side of the pitch anymore, but for now, there's no reason to put him somewhere else. This isn't the mid 2000's; fullbacks can be as creative, if not more, than midfielders. You don't have to move a guy into midfield to have him be more creative. It's not a position that is stifling.

Shoehorning is a loaded choice of word. Obviously we’d only play him in midfield if we think it would benefit the team. I think he’s the skillset to excel in that role, I’d like him there because it would allow to play closer to goal without worrying about tricky wingers cheating behind him. Think of him playing De Bruyne role, it has the potential to be devastating IMO, but you’d only move him if you have a RB who’s very good so here’s hoping.

11 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Shoehorning is a loaded choice of word. Obviously we’d only play him in midfield if we think it would benefit the team. I think he’s the skillset to excel in that role, I’d like him there because it would allow to play closer to goal without worrying about tricky wingers cheating behind him. Think of him playing De Bruyne role, it has the potential to be devastating IMO, but you’d only move him if you have a RB who’s very good so here’s hoping.

Premier League assists last season - Trent = 12, de Bruyne = 8.

Maybe Man City need to move de Bruyne to right back to fully unlock his creative potential?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Jose Jones said:

Premier League assists last season - Trent = 12, de Bruyne = 8.

Maybe Man City need to move de Bruyne to right back to fully unlock his creative potential?

Lol that’s a fair challenge. I would’ve included goals too however.