You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Player Welfare / Burnout

Mark M

Just looking at a non International tournament summer and as of yesterday there was still a full list of matches being played.

I seen Robbo didn't play for Scotland as he's now picked up an Injury as Jota has as well.

With this nations league nonsense there's more International matches for players to play - my understanding is the new Champions league format will have more matches for players to play & throw a World Cup into the mix mid season we could be heading for more player injuries / burnout. 

How long would players normally get in years gone by for summer breaks if there was no tournament ?

18 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Just looking at a non International tournament summer and as of yesterday there was still a full list of matches being played.

I seen Robbo didn't play for Scotland as he's now picked up an Injury as Jota has as well.

With this nations league nonsense there's more International matches for players to play - my understanding is the new Champions league format will have more matches for players to play & throw a World Cup into the mix mid season we could be heading for more player injuries / burnout. 

How long would players normally get in years gone by for summer breaks if there was no tournament ?

Absolute joke. Fucking cunts. 

• Upvote 1

35 minutes ago, Mark M said:

In the (really) old days they'd often get about three months. That's slowly been eroded to the current laughable length.

The standard pro contracts stipulate that players should get at least five weeks off a year and that clubs 'must not unreasonably withhold a request from a player to take three consecutive weeks' off, which typically would fall during the summer. If you compare it with most other sports, that brief minimum break seems crazily reckless. The chronic intensity of top level football just demands better treatment of the athletes. 

Our run in, actually, really concerned me, because you could see there that, no matter how good the players, they simply became too mentally as well as physically fatigued to do themselves justice. I look at squads now and think, regardless of how good they look in August, unless you've really got at least one top class striker, and a couple of midfielders, whom you can ensure will still, somehow, be fresh come May time, any big games during that period are going to be such an anti-climax, because the teams are just too knackered to give much.

The PL run-in, CL finals, World Cups - the games tend to be so disappointing (unless they're error-prone clusterfucks) because everyone is on their last legs. Five subs ought to help, but more needs doing, if not out of a duty of care then at least out of a more cynical desire to make the last part of a season more entertaining.

• Upvote 4

18 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The players are the ones who can change this. If they rule themselves out threaten to retire from the international game the authorities will shit themselves. 

It's easy to blame International games for this, the calendar was severely disrupted from covid and this was what was agreed between all parties. The club game didn't shorten the league or CL, they have gone and done the opposite. Robbo will barely have his sun cream on when he will be asked to head over to Hong Kong for a kick about to make money.

Managing players that will go to the world cup is the key, I think we fare alright compared to other sides in the players that will get a winter break.

Mo

Diaz

Matip

Robertson 

Tmiskas

Thiago (probably)

Keita

Milner

Gomez (probably)

Bobby (probably)

Jones

Elliott 

Carvalho 

Kelleher 

We only have Trent, Alison, Fabinho, Henderson, Nunez, Jota and Virgil that will go.

City will have Ederson, Walker, Laporte, Dias, Cancelo, Rodri, Grealish, Foden, Sterling, De Bruyne, Jesus, Silva, Gundogan and maybe Ake that all go.

Fuck all will get done - because of ££££££££££'s

I dare say it is in the media as an issue today because the Ingerlund Vermin lost.....well suck it up, knobheads - where was the outcry when it was us affected by schedules, loads of games, the 5 sub rule not coming in etc.....It was all just 'get on with it' 'stop moaning' etc.

I saw Gary Neville crying about it on twatter today....all because Ingerlund got dicked.

As it happens they are all dead on to say it is too much etc...but as i say fuck them, only give a toss know because it is an excuse for Ingerlund.

Am I right in saying some league like Spain alter the fixtures for the sides that go far in European competitions ? Does Germany do that as well ? The Premier league just do not give a fuck at all from that side of things.

12 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Am I right in saying some league like Spain alter the fixtures for the sides that go far in European competitions ? Does Germany do that as well ? The Premier league just do not give a fuck at all from that side of things.

Some leagues do, yeah. I know the Eredivisie accommodated Feyenoord when they got to the later stages of the Conference League. They either moved their game that was the weekend before or had them play on the Friday instead of the weekend so they'd have more rest. I think Spain did something like that too.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

It's really bad for English teams, especially. And not having 5 subs while every other league had it was a big competitive disadvantage. It's hypothetical, but it could have been a difference in freshness between us and Madrid.

Madrid were fortunate that they'd won their league with a few weeks of the season left & could afford to rest earlier than us.

We looked absolutely gassed second half against Madrid in the final 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

Seems like there’s an easy solution;

- keep CL the way it is

- get rid of League Cup

- reduce PL by two clubs to make in line with Bundesliga (and Ligue 1 season after next).

I agree, especially with the 18 team leagues. Unfortunately, the self serving clubs in the Premiership (ie the ones that exist to just be in the Premiership - Brighton, Everton, Brentford, Palace etc) will never, ever agree to it. 

And even if they did, all the clubs or governing associations would find something else to fill up the calendar again. Friendlies in the Middle East and whatever. 

• Upvote 2

There is too much football and the match going fans and players are the last to be considered when it comes to scheduling, but we’ve known this for years.
Think back to 1989 and the ridiculous number of league games we were made to play in such a short time to complete that season following Hillsborough.

I think it’s true that this is only an issue today because Hungary had a result last night that made the Blazers sit up at FA HQ, there is/was no consideration for us or City on the final run in and it was definitely a factor in our second half performance against Madrid in the final. 
I’d even go as far as to say Ancellotti deliberately played us the way he did, fully expecting us to lose sharpness as the game went on.

It will continue until someone makes a stand, be it a club or clubs or the players themselves through the PFA.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Scott_M said:

I agree, especially with the 18 team leagues. Unfortunately, the self serving clubs in the Premiership (ie the ones that exist to just be in the Premiership - Brighton, Everton, Brentford, Palace etc) will never, ever agree to it. 

And even if they did, all the clubs or governing associations would find something else to fill up the calendar again. Friendlies in the Middle East and whatever. 

Haha Everton just exist to to in the premier league - if there was some Blues reading that heads would be exploding… 

42 minutes ago, Mark M said:

Haha Everton just exist to to in the premier league - if there was some Blues reading that heads would be exploding… 

It’s true though! There is literally no point to them. A relegation battle is the most excitement they’ve seen since their last relegation battle. 

• Upvote 2

I thought it interesting that a bunch of our players have all gone down injured this week. They're either completely done and have been fucked up or they'd agreed with the club to get the fuck out of dodge this week so they could get their 3 weeks in and be back during the 1st week of training before we fuck off to Asia. With loads of games left, how many do we have still out on international duty?

8 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The players are the ones who can change this. If they rule themselves out threaten to retire from the international game the authorities will shit themselves. 

Personally I would do away with international games full stop. 

Speaking of the UK only here, Ingerland are shite, the other three have never really made much impact on the world stage anyway, so why bother? (No offence meant, but its true)

International games just get in the way, and or get very valuable players injured, thus stopping them playing for their mother team, ie the ones who have them day in day out most of the year, and spent a shed load to get them.

Fuck it all off and stick to domestic leagues.

• Like 1

The Nations league is horseshit and needs binning, especially this summer, after a delayed Euro, a World Cup scheduled later than normal, on the back of two COVID influenced seasons. The qualifiers for the next Euros would normally start this September, but it will probably be the Feb/Mar international break next year.

• Upvote 1

Surely if players don’t want to be picked for their national teams then they don’t have to be?
I have to say I don’t feel too enamoured by our players turning out for their national teams, but they obviously want to be there, for whatever reason, or they wouldn’t bother. Right?

1 hour ago, MOGLET said:

Personally I would do away with international games full stop. 

Speaking of the UK only here, Ingerland are shite, the other three have never really made much impact on the world stage anyway, so why bother? (No offence meant, but its true)

International games just get in the way, and or get very valuable players injured, thus stopping them playing for their mother team, ie the ones who have them day in day out most of the year, and spent a shed load to get them.

Fuck it all off and stick to domestic leagues.

Most of the world would disagree with that though to be fair. It's not just about the UK and most of the players who turn out for us, the highlight of their careers is doing something big with their country, followed by anything they do for their club.