You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

PODCAST: Darwin Nunez is a Red

tlw content

Darwin Nunez is a Red as Jurgen landed his top target to start the summer off with a bang. An initial fee of £64m potentially rising to £85m could see the Uruguayan become the club's most expensive signing and his arrival understandably has the fans hugely excited.

Chris Smith is joined by Julian Richards, Paul Natton and TLW Editor Dave Usher as the lads talk all things Darwin.

View full article

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic

Not entirely sure about that. Klopp clearly wanted him badly, but there's no way that Naby wasn't jumping off the page on all the spreadsheets. I'd say Thiago may have been more Klopp than scouts, but I'd be amazed if they didn't all desperately want Keita as he fits the profile perfectly.

• Upvote 1

Just listened to this and have to say that Dave absolutely nailed it with his fees rant.  A couple of days ago I was listening to 5 live news and the main sporting story was about how close Liverpool were to signing their 100 million euro player. Literally the next sentence spoke about how Man City’s £51 million pound signing was settling in. Wow look, Liverpool paid nearly double for their player.

The euro/sterling thing is bad enough but the Haaland price tag is fucking ridiculous. It’s not about how much Dortmund received, it’s about how much that syphillis ridden club paid out.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Chris said:

Karius cost like £6m too didn’t he?

It may have even been a tad under that. They took a flier on him as he was young and had done well in Germany. It didn't work out, but as you say its not like we spent big on him.

When they spend sizeable amounts its because they're sure. And other than Keita (and Ox I guess) they've all delivered and then some.

5 hours ago, suzy said:

Just to say - I immediately knew Chris meant David Bellamy! 

Thanks, Suz’ 

it was a FANTASTIC gag spoiled only by the minuscule detail David Bellamy’s name wasn’t David Bellingham. 

Fine margins in this game, Clive. 

• Upvote 2

The €100m is the correct way to report it because that's what it is. If we meet the criteria to pay the add ons then we will pay in Euros, that could be in 4 years time when  additional numbers could be £5m higher or lower depending on exchange rates at that time.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, No2 said:

The €100m is the correct way to report it because that's what it is. If we meet the criteria to pay the add ons then we will pay in Euros, that could be in 4 years time when  additional numbers could be £5m higher or lower depending on exchange rates at that time.

That's true. It's not the reason they are reporting it in Euros though.

I knew when I said that line that only a small percentage of listeners would get the reference, but even if only one person got it I'd say it was worth it. I also knew that, unlike Chris and his David Bellingham line, the other lads on the pod would get it. Chris and Jules defo, probably not Paul as *spits* he thinks the Wire is the better show.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, dave u said:

I knew when I said that line that only a small percentage of listeners would get the reference, but even if only one person got it I'd say it was worth it. I also knew that, unlike Chris and his David Bellingham line, the other lads on the pod would get it. Chris and Jules defo, probably not Paul as *spits* he thinks the Wire is the better show.

He's right though....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, dave u said:

Of course I got it. The Sopranos is ace. 

• dave u unpinned this topic