You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

LIV sportwashing golf v PGA

Mathewbet1

10 minutes ago, Mathewbet1 said:

Greedy bastards them golfers. It's all kicking off now. The prize money is ridiculous, all above board and clean money of course. 

At least the press interviewing them are asking difficult Q’s. The football press should be ashamed watching them. 

• Upvote 2

14 minutes ago, Special K said:

I think it was Dustin Johnson who said that he's in it for the money "to ensure my family are taken care of". The same report mentioned he is worth $75 million.

His wife is the daughter of Wayne Gretzky, former greatest hockey player in the world and worth a couple hundred million in his own right.

Mad, as I've always thought of golf as a working class game of the common man.

Trying to imagine all these amateur athletes in golf clubs up and down the country, most of whom probably don't even like golf, scratching each other's backs for various business deals, to have parking charges quashed or getting mate's rates for veneers for the Mrs, parked up in their very own parking space with gold plaque and shaking their head about the fact money talks.

PGA have handled this shite.They are going to have to compromise they don’t have a leg to stand on at this point.

Hard to knock the players for taking it imo. Yeah the moneys dirty but would be a bit miffed if I was Poulter etc as to why I should turn it down as you watch your own governments and seemingly every facet of sport embrace it lining their own pockets in the process, yet suddenly the line is drawn at golfers of all people. The horse bolted on this stuff long ago, best just make peace with it at this point.

Shit spectacle for the fans though no doubt about that. Nothing really at stake when everyone’s laughing all the way to the bank. Hopefully the majors will be a bit more pragmatic in their approach. Pretty much the only ones I watch these days anyway, they should remain in tact.

3 hours ago, Gooch said:

PGA have handled this shite.They are going to have to compromise they don’t have a leg to stand on at this point.

Hard to knock the players for taking it imo. Yeah the moneys dirty but would be a bit miffed if I was Poulter etc as to why I should turn it down as you watch your own governments and seemingly every facet of sport embrace it lining their own pockets in the process, yet suddenly the line is drawn at golfers of all people. The horse bolted on this stuff long ago, best just make peace with it at this point.

Shit spectacle for the fans though no doubt about that. Nothing really at stake when everyone’s laughing all the way to the bank. Hopefully the majors will be a bit more pragmatic in their approach. Pretty much the only ones I watch these days anyway, they should remain in tact.

I have zero interest in golf, but this is fairly similar to the whole debacle with UEFA/FIFA and the Super League in so far that both pga and UEFA straight away threatens to ban people, clubs etc. Currently we are at a point where the organisations are trying to be bigger than the sport and the players they say they represent. This doesn’t sit with me at all. 

Some old American dude on SSN last night was ace. Said something along the lines of the top 5 grossing sportsmen 3 are golfers, Mickleson who was moaning that they don’t get paid enough for their talents is something 6th ever more than Beckham and Kobe Bryant. Pure greed. I expected nob jockeys like Poulter to go for it but seeing top names go is heartbreaking. Devalued the sport immensely. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kurtbadenhausen/2017/12/13/the-25-highest-paid-athletes-of-all-time/

Someone should tell Mickleson and his big fat head that if sportspeople were paid against their talent in their given sport that Ronnie O’Sullivan would own 3/4 of the world and tell him to go and fuck his face into the water 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Gooch said:

Worded it badly on my part, was meant to address the ethics of the people making it rather than the source of the money itself.

I think I've probably used the term myself, I just had a flash of inspiration when I actually thought something through.

1 hour ago, Lario said:

Too much high horsery going on.

We'd all be playing in it if given the chance, especially those fucking journos.

Same way we'd all play for Newcastle.

All true to a point, I respect someone like Dustin Johnson straight out pointing out it will make him so rich he can retire 10 years earlier than 90% of the cunts saying its to give back to golf and inspire kids. I hope they are all dismembered, stuck in a suitcase and dissolved, start with McDowell.

4 hours ago, No2 said:

All true to a point, I respect someone like Dustin Johnson straight out pointing out it will make him so rich he can retire 10 years earlier than 90% of the cunts saying its to give back to golf and inspire kids. I hope they are all dismembered, stuck in a suitcase and dissolved, start with McDowell.

Dustin Johnson could have retired years ago,if he didnt keep having to keep re-stocking his drinks cabinet.