You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

171 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

5 minutes ago, luxury_scruff said:

I thought selling Sadio, Takumi, Ox, Neco, largely covers the £64M-£75M that he's costing.

We have money to spare to fund Mo staying. Especially if you structure it around performances/trophies.

We desperately need a world class attacking midfielder, whoever the fuck that might be . Other than Thiago and Fab , the others are all  technically mediocre . 

4 minutes ago, luxury_scruff said:

I thought selling Sadio, Takumi, Ox, Neco, largely covers the £64M-£75M that he's costing.

We have money to spare to fund Mo staying. Especially if you structure it around performances/trophies.

I havent heard any talk of performance related pay from his advisors and I'm not sure he'd accept that at this stage of his career.

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Don't get me wrong, I'm with you on replacing Mane's goals. I just think when you already can't beat them with 97 points, and they add the best young striker since... I dunno, he's a beast though, it just pushes it even further. I think we could get 100 points and not win the league. It's ridiculous. 

I tell you what, if there's any merit to these German stories and if their house came crashing down and they had their titles stripped, I'd actually piss myself laughing. 

If we get 100 pts and it still isn't enough to win league that would be beyond laughable and surely at that point something would need to change in game and the financial side of it.

The bar is already ridiculously high, and has been pushed there through cheating but that would be taking it to beyond ridiculous.

I can't see it happening myself....i actually think that 93-96 pts is what will be needed again this year.

Haaland scored shit loads for Dortmund but their team was slightly better and scored slightly more goals before he went there. (I think). So always the chance it might not work that well at Man City.

But him and De Bruyne you’d think is guaranteed goals and assists.

Nearly as good as Trent and Darwin is going to be.

4 minutes ago, Reckoner said:

I like it when players ARRIVE. So much more exciting than just arriving. And the way that car pulls up to the gate. Whoooo. Classy.
Mind. Blowing. Footage.

I sense some sarcasm in your tone, but haven't you noticed the stop/go lights? Fucking awesome. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I sense some sarcasm in your tone, but haven't you noticed the stop/go lights? Fucking awesome. 

Just got on those lights. That was pretty amazing. And the way the steward lets on to the driver. Totally a club in harmony working together. #mysteward 

One thing that slightly worries me is the track record of big powerful strikers bought from overseas over the past couple of years has been woeful; Lukaku, Wesley, Haller, Joelinton, I reckon it’s mostly because defenders in the PL are stronger and faster than those in other leagues. Let’s hope Darwin bucks the the trend. 

• Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, aRdja said:

One thing that slightly worries me is the track record of big powerful strikers bought from overseas over the past couple of years has been woeful; Lukaku, Wesley, Haller, Joelinton, I reckon it’s mostly because defenders in the PL are stronger and faster than those in other leagues. Let’s hope Darwin bucks the the trend. 

Maybe because, ya know, they're shit.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I think people are giving City too much credit when it comes to signing Haaland in terms of tactical reasons. They signed him for the same reason Chelsea signed Shevchenko. Shiny new toy and a reminder that they're the biggest boys in town. It's sportswashing 101. They didn't just go for Guardiola because he was a good manager, they got him because people who don't like football and fairweather fans knew who he was. They buy what they want and if it doesn't work they throw it away, with the sole intent of saying to you 'what do you think of my wife's nice new tits."   

They're a big fat, diamond-encrusted gold Rolex in a shop full of Patek Philippes. 

Came here to say this. 

It's just another factet to their sports washing. Barcelona gained a lot of fans purely because of Messi being there. That's what man city want, the biggest name in football playing for them so the general public overlook the human rights abuses and cheating that led them there. And they're betting a fair amount of money on Haaland being the next biggest superstar in the game. I say betting, but it's not exactly a big gamble for them. 

3 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yeah, outside of the hope he’d come to us, I figured somebody like Madrid would be in for him. It’s pretty shitty that he went to City. I also don’t like this ‘it’s Nunez vs Haaland’ shit either. It’s only going to turn out bad for Nunez, he has enough to do in order to justify the big fee let alone compare to Haaland. Everyone talks about MBappe, but Haaland is a class above MBappe. He will be a generational footballer like Messi or Ronaldo. He will score hundreds of goals for City if he stays there and stays fit. They’ll be winning the CL and Premier Leagues for years to come, as if they weren’t going to anyway. Under Klopp and FSG Liverpool are doing something miraculous, which is keeping in and around them, but when you look at it over the longer term it’ll be us getting the occasional trophy in comparison to them getting

most of them. 

Hopefully Guardiola fucks off and whoever replaces him just fucks everything up. 

Nuñez is at exactly the right club not to feel the pressure of the transfer fee. Our players get given time to settle in - and if Salah, Diaz, Jota and Firmino are all firing, nobody will give a fuck if he doesn't hit the ground running.

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

I think people are giving City too much credit when it comes to signing Haaland in terms of tactical reasons. They signed him for the same reason Chelsea signed Shevchenko. Shiny new toy and a reminder that they're the biggest boys in town. It's sportswashing 101. They didn't just go for Guardiola because he was a good manager, they got him because people who don't like football and fairweather fans knew who he was. They buy what they want and if it doesn't work they throw it away, with the sole intent of saying to you 'what do you think of my wife's nice new tits."   

They're a big fat, diamond-encrusted gold Rolex in a shop full of Patek Philippes. 

It's one of the reasons why FSG are so much better than the type of owners that City and Chelsea have. They'll occasionally spend big, but only for football reasons.

Imagine if one of those teams broke the bank to bring in the world's best defender, only for the manager to say "and I'm going to line him up with a freebie from Schalke, an academy kid and a cheap left back who's just been relegated with Hull". The manager would be out of the window, as some hyped up £50m full back comes through the front door.

• Upvote 2

39 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Maybe because, ya know, they're shit.

Could be a bit of both. Haller is killin’ it now for Ajax and was very good for Frankfurt before his move. Lukaku was very good for Inter, generally accepted as the best striker in Serie A at the time. I honestly think the PL isn’t really for everyone, if you’re a footballer who relies on your physical attributes, then you need them to be at an elite level to have a chance to succeed in the PL. 

5 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

It's one of the reasons why FSG are so much better than the type of owners that City and Chelsea have. They'll occasionally spend big, but only for football reasons.

Imagine if one of those teams broke the bank to bring in the world's best defender, only for the manager to say "and I'm going to line him up with a freebie from Schalke, an academy kid and a cheap left back who's just been relegated with Hull". The manager would be out of the window, as some hyped up £50m full back comes through the front door.

Agreed. As others have said re Nunez, sometimes there's no alternative but to break the bank for the player you want.

We had years and years of 'punts' on players and its money down the spout if they don't work out. But when we have spent big on VVD and Alison, it's worked - very often you get what you paid for, not always,  but if you do your homework it pays off.

City and Utd are two sides of the same coin. They don't always buy what they need, there are other factors at play. Utd do it to placate their mental fans, while City do it to be bilyl big bollocks, )although their record of pulling it off is far, far better than Utd's).

I always felt that was a large part of the reason they bought Sterling, simply because they could and it was us. New money hates old money. 

49 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Came here to say this. 

It's just another factet to their sports washing. Barcelona gained a lot of fans purely because of Messi being there. That's what man city want, the biggest name in football playing for them so the general public overlook the human rights abuses and cheating that led them there. And they're betting a fair amount of money on Haaland being the next biggest superstar in the game. I say betting, but it's not exactly a big gamble for them. 

People on twitter today arguing over which signing had the most likes. I’m dismayed that this is a thing but I bet it influences some transfers.