You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

171 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

1 minute ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Eh? You want us to NOT buy someone to replace Mane but give more money to Mo as wages?

Yeah. Sadio cannot be kept, but Mo can. Mo's proven, an elite player. I'd put that money towards Mo, use Diaz, Jota and Mo, and find a younger, lower priced striker as back up.

1 hour ago, JohnnyH said:

He might do, but to do that Pep has to change his philosophy of choking the life out of a game by packing the midfield, and for the first time Pep will knowingly allow some space on the pitch for the opposing team to play in. Haaland might get a goal a game, but City are giving up that vice like grip of the game they love to have to accommodate him and they will leak chances than they are used to. Think Ronaldo at Utd but to a lesser degree. 

having said that, I don’t think Haaland will break records next season. He might the season after, but I think City will initially struggle with the change. What struggling means will be the question. Does it result in a slow start we can take advantage of, or do they get a bunch of 1-0 wins while struggling to put together cohesive play. 

I honestly don’t see a big tactical change. Pep wouldn’t change his style for anybody. I think Haaland will score more than a goal a game over the season. Closer to 40 goals in the Prem alone. He will absolutely fucking battering ram the shit defences. I think this next season is going to be absolutely ridiculous for them. 

I hope this’ll be quoted at the end of the season and he turned out to be an absolute joke. 

3 hours ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Haaland is an absolute goal machine. I expect him to break scoring records next season. 

Yep. He's the one player I didn't want them to get. Can only hope Nunez has an impact like Torres. Or even half as good. 

7 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Yep. He's the one player I didn't want them to get. Can only hope Nunez has an impact like Torres. Or even half as good. 

Yeah, outside of the hope he’d come to us, I figured somebody like Madrid would be in for him. It’s pretty shitty that he went to City. I also don’t like this ‘it’s Nunez vs Haaland’ shit either. It’s only going to turn out bad for Nunez, he has enough to do in order to justify the big fee let alone compare to Haaland. Everyone talks about MBappe, but Haaland is a class above MBappe. He will be a generational footballer like Messi or Ronaldo. He will score hundreds of goals for City if he stays there and stays fit. They’ll be winning the CL and Premier Leagues for years to come, as if they weren’t going to anyway. Under Klopp and FSG Liverpool are doing something miraculous, which is keeping in and around them, but when you look at it over the longer term it’ll be us getting the occasional trophy in comparison to them getting

most of them. 

Hopefully Guardiola fucks off and whoever replaces him just fucks everything up. 

4 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Yeah, outside of the hope he’d come to us, I figured somebody like Madrid would be in for him. It’s pretty shitty that he went to City. I also don’t like this ‘it’s Nunez vs Haaland’ shit either. It’s only going to turn out bad for Nunez, he has enough to do in order to justify the big fee let alone compare to Haaland. Everyone talks about MBappe, but Haaland is a class above MBappe. He will be a generational footballer like Messi or Ronaldo. He will score hundreds of goals for City if he stays there and stays fit. They’ll be winning the CL and Premier Leagues for years to come, as if they weren’t going to anyway. Under Klopp and FSG Liverpool are doing something miraculous, which is keeping in and around them, but when you look at it over the longer term it’ll be us getting the occasional trophy in comparison to them getting

most of them. 

Hopefully Guardiola fucks off and whoever replaces him just fucks everything up. 

I think Mbappe is outstanding as well and would have loved him here but Haaland seems far more equipped for the PL. 

The only thing with Haaland is he seems like a complete nob. Hopefully him and Guardiola fall out. Saying that, City haven't been short of nobs playing for them. 

22 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

9 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

most of them. 

Probably wishful thinking more than anything else on my part, but I'm hoping that the significant way they'll have to adjust their game to accommodate him might offset some of his positive impact. They were pretty damn effective as things were. 

2 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

Probably wishful thinking more than anything else on my part, but I'm hoping that the significant way they'll have to adjust their game to accommodate him might offset some of his positive impact. 

I really don’t see them having to adjust that much. No more than Bayern with Lewandowski. 

I’ll be shocked if City win less than 34 league games next season. Even if Haaland makes them a worse team they’ll win more games domestically because their psychological hold over the majority of the teams will be more vice-like than ever.

I’ve little doubt Nunez will be a success by any traditional measure, but there’ll be all sorts of nonsensical comparisons when Haaland is knocking then in against teams who’ve given up before a ball is kicked.

4 minutes ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I’d be shocked if City win less than 34 league games next season. Even if Haaland made them a worse team they’ll win more games domestically because their psychological hold over the majority of the teams will be more vice-like than ever.

Much of that is out of our hands, but we really need to get at least four points from the fixtures with them next season. We're overdue a league win against them. 

Is he going to win them all that many extra points? 

They win nearly every week anyway - the overwhelming majority of their games are ridiculously one sided affairs and they batter teams in loads of games.

Who cares if he scores 4 v Fulham in a 7-0 romp, they'd have won the game 4-0 anyway without him....

Who cares if he adds a 4th or 5th goal in the latter stages to what was already a comfortable 3-0 win against Huddersfield.

It isn't as if they are looking to replace the loss of 20 goals a season or something with a player leaving, and failure to do so could be a difference maker - all they are doing is adding more firepower to a gun that blows the opposition away week in week out anyway.

The only real difference he can make is if he can win them the 5 or 6 games a season they face where they are actually challenged and of course whether he can help them in the European Cup.

Haaland or no Haaland they are nailed on to get 93 pts plus in league. Mostly down to being very good anyway but also down to the league being full of cowardly shite who offer zero resistance against them.

6 minutes ago, an tha said:

They win nearly every week anyway - the overwhelming majority of their games are ridiculously one sided affairs and they batter teams in loads of games.

Who cares if he scores 4 v Fulham in a 7-0 romp, they'd have won the game 4-0 anyway without him....

Who cares if he adds a 4th or 5th goal in the latter stages to what was already a comfortable 3-0 win against Huddersfield.

It isn't as if they are looking to replace the loss of 20 goals a season or something with a player leaving, and failure to do so could be a difference maker - all they are doing is adding more firepower to a gun that blows the opposition away week in week out anyway.

The only real difference he can make is if he can win them the 5 or 6 games a season they face where they are actually challenged and of course whether he can help them in the European Cup.

Haaland or no Haaland they are nailed on to get 93 pts plus in league.

I think it's a fair point, he's not going to win them that many more points by virtue of there not actually being that many more points to win. What he can do is push them that little bit further away from us, and give them a hell of an edge in games against us and in Europe. 

1 minute ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I think it's a fair point, he's not going to win them that many more points by virtue of there not actually being that many more points to win. What he can do is push them that little bit further away from us, and give them a hell of an edge in games against us and in Europe. 

That is about it.

All we can do is try to improve ourselves on our already ridiculously high standards.

We have already been denied titles with 97 and 92 pts due to where they have shifted the bar to - that bar is gonna be pretty much in that same place again with Haaland or without him.

How we replace Mane's 20 goals and his assists is gonna be much more critical in the title race than how this lad at Man City does IMO.

3 minutes ago, an tha said:

That is about it.

All we can do is try to improve ourselves on our already ridiculously high standards.

We have already been denied titles with 97 and 92 pts due to where they have shifted the bar to - that bar is gonna be pretty much in that same place again with Haaland or without him.

How we replace Mane's 20 goals and his assists is gonna be much more critical in the title race than how this lad at Man City does IMO.

Don't get me wrong, I'm with you on replacing Mane's goals. I just think when you already can't beat them with 97 points, and they add the best young striker since... I dunno, he's a beast though, it just pushes it even further. I think we could get 100 points and not win the league. It's ridiculous. 

I tell you what, if there's any merit to these German stories and if their house came crashing down and they had their titles stripped, I'd actually piss myself laughing. 

29 minutes ago, an tha said:

Yes. Lawro was one of those who made that point when the news first came out. It's tempting to think that Haaland's been bought mainly to boost their European chances. 

It's ironic but hardly surprising that, whilst Nunez's past knee problems have caused some fans to fixate on supposedly chronic frailities, Haaland's own past knee, hip and other injury problems tend to be ignored. We just don't know how either will cope with the PL, but the respective medical teams must have a good, and far better-informed, idea. 

There's also the fact that both teams will have to adapt to fit in the player, and that carries with it a degree of risk. 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' is an adage that applies more to them than to us. We're the ones chasing. I'm confident Nunez can be accommodated, but it's by no means simple for Haaland to be slipped into City's style. The chances for dissonance seem quite high, thankfully.

1 hour ago, luxury_scruff said:

Yeah. Sadio cannot be kept, but Mo can. Mo's proven, an elite player. I'd put that money towards Mo, use Diaz, Jota and Mo, and find a younger, lower priced striker as back up.

Hasn't that money gone towards Nunez? And the club has a budget. Whether you agree with the budget or not,it's difficult to argue with the success it's brought against teams with far bigger budgets than our own.

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

most of them. 

We out did city in three of the four competitions this season, city were fifteen minutes from a disaster of a season . We should not fear them.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, elvis said:

We out did city in three of the four competitions this season, city were fifteen minutes from a disaster of a season . We should not fear them.

I'm not saying we should fear them, mate. I'm saying Haaland is going to make them stronger and make it easier for City to dominate. 

I think people are giving City too much credit when it comes to signing Haaland in terms of tactical reasons. They signed him for the same reason Chelsea signed Shevchenko. Shiny new toy and a reminder that they're the biggest boys in town. It's sportswashing 101. They didn't just go for Guardiola because he was a good manager, they got him because people who don't like football and fairweather fans knew who he was. They buy what they want and if it doesn't work they throw it away, with the sole intent of saying to you 'what do you think of my wife's nice new tits."   

They're a big fat, diamond-encrusted gold Rolex in a shop full of Patek Philippes. 

• Upvote 4