You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

171 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

A couple of good videos on Nunez - The first is from March this year before we played them in the Champions League that touches on his background and early career, while the second is an opinion piece on whether Darwin will make the grade with us following the confirmation by Benfica that they have sold him to us pending completion of his medical and the agreement of personal terms.

• Upvote 2

I actually pin all my hope on his Almeria highlights. 

I know it's Segunda Liga, but we sometimes rate the Championship so....

I still don't like it.  Way too much expectation on him, not least as the media will measure him directly Vs Haaland, if he doesn't hit the ground running then Klopp is going to be asked about him incessantly.  

But, with my optimism hat on, I'm excited to see him with Firmino and Diaz more than I am to see him with Jota and Salah.  Just am. 

11 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

Don’t shoot the messenger 

I'm with the doubters, I think he's a project, not a finished player.  But obviously we're targeting winning the league next season, and at £65m we're expecting the sort of impact that Van Dijk and Alisson had, but we may have to wait another 12 months.  Whereas seemingly City are signing the sort of player that will hit the ground sprinting. 

Nunez will settle quicker than Haaland. Haalands style of play requires a totally new strategy from Pep. That’ll be difficult for both the manager and the player (it’s why I think Haaland is a signing for post-Pep). And that’s why I think we’ll win the league fairly comfortably next season. 

• Upvote 1

Haaland will score a bomb load of goals for the cheats next season, especially against all the shite the league is chocker with - he'll bully the fuck out of them. But they'd have scored all those goals anyway, so is he going to make much of a difference.....

So what if they bum Fulham 6-0 instead of 4 or 5... 

The question is will he do it and make them better in the about half a dozen difficult games they have a season and in the European Cup.

1 hour ago, an tha said:

Haaland will score a bomb load of goals for the cheats next season, especially against all the shite the league is chocker with - he'll bully the fuck out of them. But they'd have scored all those goals anyway, so is he going to make much of a difference.....

So what if they bum Fulham 6-0 instead of 4 or 5... 

The question is will he do it and make them better in the about half a dozen difficult games they have a season and in the European Cup.

That's the thing isn't it.  

And...he's a 9, nothing else.  So all the times they've played with a false 9 has given them an extra player in midfield, but he isn't going to give them that. I think it's a risk for City, it's a bit change in them dominating the ball. 

• Upvote 1

40 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

That's the thing isn't it.  

And...he's a 9, nothing else.  So all the times they've played with a false 9 has given them an extra player in midfield, but he isn't going to give them that. I think it's a risk for City, it's a bit change in them dominating the ball. 

Not sure how much they'll change - they'll still have all the ball IMO, especially given most of the league don't even try and play against them and they'll attack in their usual manner - his job will be to get into the box find space and tuck away the chances he gets served up - of which there will be loads.

Thing is they don't really need him, but they can buy him and pay him whatever anyway and it is no problem at all if it works or not.

2 hours ago, Butch said:

Every cunt now is overpriced. I'm in. 

You’re in a cunt?

Maybe you should focus on that instead of posting about Nunez. That is, if you want to have a chance of getting back in that particular cunt at a later date. 

I wonder how much we'll use him in the buildup. He seems like the kind of attacker you don't really want touching the ball in certain areas of the field. We've been pretty direct at times under Klopp, that's probably more the kind of service you'd want to give him. 

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Haaland is an absolute goal machine. I expect him to break scoring records next season. 

He might do, but to do that Pep has to change his philosophy of choking the life out of a game by packing the midfield, and for the first time Pep will knowingly allow some space on the pitch for the opposing team to play in. Haaland might get a goal a game, but City are giving up that vice like grip of the game they love to have to accommodate him and they will leak chances than they are used to. Think Ronaldo at Utd but to a lesser degree. 

having said that, I don’t think Haaland will break records next season. He might the season after, but I think City will initially struggle with the change. What struggling means will be the question. Does it result in a slow start we can take advantage of, or do they get a bunch of 1-0 wins while struggling to put together cohesive play. 

1 hour ago, JohnnyH said:

He might do, but to do that Pep has to change his philosophy of choking the life out of a game by packing the midfield, and for the first time Pep will knowingly allow some space on the pitch for the opposing team to play in. Haaland might get a goal a game, but City are giving up that vice like grip of the game they love to have to accommodate him and they will leak chances than they are used to. Think Ronaldo at Utd but to a lesser degree. 

having said that, I don’t think Haaland will break records next season. He might the season after, but I think City will initially struggle with the change. What struggling means will be the question. Does it result in a slow start we can take advantage of, or do they get a bunch of 1-0 wins while struggling to put together cohesive play. 

Is Haaland significantly worse on the ball than Lewandowski or Aguero? Pep built pretty decent teams with them leading the line. 

13 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Is Haaland significantly worse on the ball than Lewandowski or Aguero? Pep built pretty decent teams with them leading the line. 

It’s not about them being bad. Its about just not being as good. It’s about the massive tactical change he’s about to make to his team. That never just happens easily and without issue (of course, it might this time, but history suggests otherwise) and if it can knock them off their stride by 2 or 3% in those first months then that might give us the edge like in the year we won it. 

I trust in Klopp, but truthfully, I am nervous about this signing.

With Sadio and Mo leaving, this is a critical time in our ability to keep close to Manchester City, and to keep Chelsea, Spurs and Manchester United below us.

If he's to do his learning 'on the job' for a couple of years, then that price is too high, and the funds could have been better spent on a known quantity, say on Mo.

2 minutes ago, luxury_scruff said:

I trust in Klopp, but truthfully, I am nervous about this signing.

With Sadio and Mo leaving, this is a critical time in our ability to keep close to Manchester City, and to keep Chelsea, Spurs and Manchester United below us.

If he's to do his learning 'on the job' for a couple of years, then that price is too high, and the funds could have been better spent on a known quantity, say on Mo.

Mo isn’t leaving this summer. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, JohnnyH said:

It’s not about them being bad. Its about just not being as good. It’s about the massive tactical change he’s about to make to his team. That never just happens easily and without issue (of course, it might this time, but history suggests otherwise) and if it can knock them off their stride by 2 or 3% in those first months then that might give us the edge like in the year we won it. 

I don't think its a massive tactical change. They had Augero not too long ago. 

He will score lots and create lots by dragging the defenders with him, creating space for others (who score lots anyway). 

I do hope the 2 or 3% becomes true.