You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

169 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

I'm all in on the lad. Andy Carroll he most certainly isn't. Second fastest in the champions league this season, just behind Alphonso Davies. 

League
Matches
Goals

I'm all in, if Mane goes he should be the replacement. We need something different up top. 6ft 1, quick, scores goals, works hard and has even more potential. Can also be a good foil for our wide players to play passes into. We can't sign midgets forever. Klopp has done well with a tall forward before (Lewandowski) so he'll know how to make the attack work. It's time to evolve the team and keep everyone else guessing.

• Upvote 1

His goals from last season often look really scrappy in the compilation, but he looks great in the air - has that knack of seeming to hang up there for ages. We'd have to adapt our attacking game if we get him, which probably isn't a bad thing at this stage. 

Given Julian Ward's Portuguese links, I reckon we'll get him if we want him. 

I think he's alright but he's being shopped around everywhere, I reckon most of the links are his agent trying to move him on for a massive payday while he can.

Very different player, but I don't think he's close to Mane's level. We'd have to change a lot to fit him in.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Second fastest in the champions league this season

So faster than MBappe? Faster than Vinicius Jr?  I’d be interested in seeing that list. 

As for whether or not we should buy him… I think we’d have to change the way we play, so if it was up to me then probably not, but if he is the manager’s choice and that’s where he wants to go with it, then sure. But overall it’s a no from me. 

27 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

The benchmark for me is being better than the last Nunez we had.

I don't ask for much.

So he needs to win more than one European cup? Sounds good to me,

9 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

So faster than MBappe? Faster than Vinicius Jr?  I’d be interested in seeing that list. 

As for whether or not we should buy him… I think we’d have to change the way we play, so if it was up to me then probably not, but if he is the manager’s choice and that’s where he wants to go with it, then sure. But overall it’s a no from me. 

I only got that from here on twitter. I think it's peak speed not in general. You've compared him to Carroll so for that reason I'm afraid I won't be paying too much attention to your opinion on him anymore. Sorry mate. 

I was in the Kop for Benfica and he looked electric. I can definitely see him only getting better here. 

14 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Yep, I'm on the Nunez train.

His finish for the offside goal against us was so nonchalant, he looked like a striker totally at home slotting chances away. Since then I've done extensive scouting and watched him twice. Pretty sure it was him anyway.

Ok, it's difficult to argue with such forensic analysis, so I'm in.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

I only got that from here on twitter. I think it's peak speed not in general. You've compared him to Carroll so for that reason I'm afraid I won't be paying too much attention to your opinion on him anymore. Sorry mate. 

I was in the Kop for Benfica and he looked electric. I can definitely see him only getting better here. 

I said he gave me Carroll vibes. He does. He’s not exactly like Carroll, he’s more mobile than Carroll, but he’s also a played that did well against us, like Carroll, and I think wouldn’t mesh with the team unless we built it to utilise him, like Carroll. So I’m out. 

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I said he gave me Carroll vibes. He does. He’s not exactly like Carroll, he’s more mobile than Carroll, but he’s also a played that did well against us, like Carroll, and I think wouldn’t mesh with the team unless we built it to utilise him, like Carroll. So I’m out. 

silenttreatment-donttalk.gif

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

This ‘second fastest’ thing. I can’t find it anywhere except for that tweet that doesn’t give the source. Not that it matters really, but unless other players just didn’t sprint all season, it would be strange. 

It'll probably be in the UEFA Technical report for this seasons CL (if it's been published in full yet).

Often doesn't mean much, Origi was the fastest player in the CL final against Spurs allegedly.

40 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Unlike Carroll, though, he hasn't been damaging his calf, heel and ankle since he was about six by landing with all of his weight on the back of his feet (thanks for that, N'Cazzle youth coaches, who saw it happening and did nothing); he also doesn't move with all the grace and urgency of an ancient oil tanker; he also hasn't been subsisting largely on crisps and ale since he became a professional; he also hasn't required fans in the Main Stand to shout out, 'Get onside, ya daft bastard!' several times a game; and he's not, as far as I know, a massive bellend. So: nothing at all like Andy Carroll.

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

unless other players just didn’t sprint all season, it would be strange. 

What, all of them??? I'm not even sure why you're so sceptical. He scared the bejaysus out of many watching when he ran against our defenders. 

1 hour ago, sh#t waffle said:

I took an instant dislike to his face during the games against us, so it's a no from me – until we sign him, when I will instantly start to find his face endearing and won't hear a word against it.

This is close to where I am. I think I even said similar in the match reports when we played them.