You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

171 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

2 minutes ago, Grinch said:

It’s a word you fucking div, have a fucking day off trying to police the forum

And yes he was a very silly fucking cunt and will now miss three games and however many Klopp decides to leave him out for.

I'm not trying to police anything, I'm rightly calling out stupid cunts who spend more time moaning and slagging the club and it's players off than anything else. 

1 minute ago, an tha said:

Deffo strikes me as having an attitude problem and it has reared its head just 2 games in.

Can he/will he learn from this......i suppose we are gonna find out.

No red cards for Benfica? Did you watch or even know anything about him before he signed? One incident. Now the knives are out. 

Not sure I was massively off with my initial assessment, still early days but has to be much much better.

On 24/05/2022 at 19:51, TD_LFC said:

I don't think the concern is laziness or that he's too static.

The concern is whether his build up play is good enough considering the amount of work our central strikers put in to create both chances and space for the wide attackers who are essentially our goal scorers.

For example:

https://fbref.com/en/players/4d77b365/Darwin-Nunez

https://fbref.com/en/players/178ae8f8/Diogo-Jota

https://fbref.com/en/players/4c370d81/Roberto-Firmino

https://fbref.com/en/players/c691bfe2/Sadio-Mane

He plays in one of the top sides in Portugal where most weekends they are the dominant team yet he's in the bottom 5% for assists, 9% for expected assists, 17% for passing, 1% for pass completion, 39% for progressive passes etc.

If Klopp's planning a tactical switch with the central striker becoming more of a goal scoring focus then Nunez would be a good option.

It would be an expensive option though if you're not fully committed to the switch especially when you already have someone like Jota already at the club.

On 08/06/2022 at 09:09, TD_LFC said:

We tend to use the central striker to create space for the wide forwards rather than as the focus of the attack and then they get involved in the second phase of the attack, Nunez's build up play hasn't been great at Benfica and he's more of a 'traditional' number 9 so some tweaks will be needed to how the front three operate.

It's not a massive issue but something to consider when we're, supposedly, looking at making a player our biggest signing.

It'd be interesting to see who out of him and Salah has to compromise but either way having Robertson and Trent firing balls in won't hurt.

On 24/05/2022 at 20:19, TD_LFC said:

If the subject of doubt was his goal scoring I would have, I don't think anyone was questioning his output as a goal scorer though.

The problem is you can be a brilliant player but you can also be the wrong player for a team and system and just because you do something really well it doesn't always translate.

It's entirely possible that Nunez's lack of build up play is the product of Benfica's system and it's been unfairly curtailed by the way they play, I don't know enough about Benfica to give an opinion on that, but at the price involved any club that wants to use him as anything but a pure goal scorer would have to be very sure that it's a system rather than player issue.

Luckily the club have some pretty good people to make that assessment so if we did sign him then we're probably safe.

1 minute ago, Bjornebye said:

I'm not trying to police anything, I'm rightly calling out stupid cunts who spend more time moaning and slagging the club and it's players off than anything else. 

No red cards for Benfica? Did you watch or even know anything about him before he signed? One incident. Now the knives are out. 

Course you’re not.  Well guess what it’s none of your fucking business what I think say or write on here.

Now get back to sucking Nat Phillips off you fucking Brit cunt.

• Downvote 2

He's got 2 goals in 3 games and hasn't even played well. 

The club under Klopp have arguably the best strike rate at signing attackers in world football.

He's miss kicked a few shots and got sent off after getting frustrated. Hardly time to be writing him off already.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Elite said:

The club under Klopp have arguably the best strike rate at signing attackers in world football.

He's miss kicked a few shots and got sent off after getting frustrated. Hardly time to be writing him off already.

Hes had a superb start on the pitch, the nitpicking that begun from people who watched five minute YouTube clips or loaded their football manager database is just typical of modern football fans.

He’s then gone and lost the head completely.  He could have been red carded for the first attempt ffs.  One of the dumbest sending offs since we last had a Uruguayan forward.

He’ll have plenty of bench time to learn from this.

I know many will disagree but I thought he was a bit unlucky with the sending off. Andersen shoved him - with some force - in the back of the head, bit of a sucker punch, and Darwin turns round to barge him back but catches him with his head. Maybe. He was fucking stupid as it gave that manc prick a decision (or opportunity) and hopefully he’ll learn from it but I thought the shove in the head from behind was at least as “violent”.

Hes been a bit of a mixed bag but most new signings are under Klopp. I’m sure he’ll improve.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, KMD7 said:

He fucked up and I'm sure he's gutted. Hopefully he'll learn from this 

This isn’t hysterical enough for me.

8 minutes ago, Joey8FrogsLegs said:

Very stupid thing to do, and let his team mates and the supporters down there.

Hopefully he’ll learn from it, I fully trust Klopp to have a word with him and I expect it to have an effect.

He’ll be back stronger and better.

Nor this.

8 minutes ago, Elite said:

Disappointing lack of hysteria here too.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

The attitude problem is not just about how many red cards he has or hasn't got.....it is in my view a character trait he has - it has led to a red card here tonight, yes - but that is not to say i feel he has a disciplinary problem.

It is for me (and i said it when i voted no to signing him in the poll on this thread) just a feeling i get with him that his attitude is not good.

6 minutes ago, Manny said:

I know many will disagree but I thought he was a bit unlucky with the sending off. Andersen shoved him - with some force - in the back of the head, bit of a sucker punch, and Darwin turns round to barge him back but catches him with his head. Maybe. He was fucking stupid as it gave that manc prick a decision (or opportunity) and hopefully he’ll learn from it but I thought the shove in the head from behind was at least as “violent”.

Hes been a bit of a mixed bag but most new signings are under Klopp. I’m sure he’ll improve.

He wasn't mate, Anderson was complaining about the first attempted butt.