You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

171 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

18 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

The club recruit in part with statistical profiles, and some basic stats are hugely relevant. People who simply swat stats away are funny. Solely eye test guys have weird chips on their shoulders. 

Hahaha. you are so funny. I'll swat your stats away because they are irrelevant. I'm sure the club have stats you wouldn't even begin to understand. And they have scouts who actually watch football and understand what makes a footballer, not basing all they know on the tactical awareness of a kid playing ultimate soccer manager on their Amiga.  

17 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

Hahaha. you are so funny. I'll swat your stats away because they are irrelevant. I'm sure the club have stats you wouldn't even begin to understand. And they have scouts who actually watch football and understand what makes a footballer, not basing all they know on the tactical awareness of a kid playing ultimate soccer manager on their Amiga.  

Do you realize my post in response to Mook was quite positive? Did you actually read it? Saying Nunez has things he's not great at technically is not controversial, at all. Get over this hard on you have for me, it's weird. 

Statistics and technique are two different things. 

Technique is how a player kicks or heads the ball.

If his passing stats at Benfica were average then he maybe needs to play better passes but there is fuck all wrong with his technique. I think there's a misconception here that we've bought a big target man type when he looks a lot more than that to me.

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Mook said:

Statistics and technique are two different things. 

Technique is how a player kicks or heads the ball.

If his passing stats at Benfica were average then he maybe needs to play better passes but there is fuck all wrong with his technique. I think there's a misconception here that we've bought a big target man type when he looks a lot more than that to me.

What people have said who have watched a lot of Nunez, and what some stats say as well is that he's good at carrying the ball and a decent dribbler. That's a part of technique. He's obviously good at shooting, that's another part of technique. The part he is less good at, reportedly, is passing and much of the link up play. That's mostly where the "he's bad technically" thing comes from. And there are probably times when that part will look ugly.

It is simplistic and general to say he's bad technically, but there are weaknesses. That's fine, few players are perfect technically.

If people think he's a target man, that is definitely not true. He's a lot more mobile and dynamic than that. 

21 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

What people have said who have watched a lot of Nunez, and what some stats say as well is that he's good at carrying the ball and a decent dribbler. That's a part of technique. He's obviously good at shooting, that's another part of technique. The part he is less good at, reportedly, is passing and much of the link up play. That's mostly where the "he's bad technically" thing comes from. And there are probably times when that part will look ugly.

It is simplistic and general to say he's bad technically, but there are weaknesses. That's fine, few players are perfect technically.

If people think he's a target man, that is definitely not true. He's a lot more mobile and dynamic than that. 

I saw him and pass and link up just fine.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think the people who say there's fuck all wrong with his technique aren't analysing every touch (which is fair enough)

But they are also being pretty oblivious. He has clear technical flaws. Klopp has also hinted at this and that's why he's talked about his potential in a long term aspect. You only have to see the way he controls and receives the ball and even passes the ball. It's been pretty clear in every game he's played so far.

But that's not to say he's been rubbish. Neither me or you have said that. I think he's been good, and as I said before, what he lacks in being a natural footballer he makes up for with sheer desire, force and work rate. He's going to be a very good player for us. It'll be interesting to see who has the better career in England between him and Haaland. I think Nunez will just because of the above and the fact he can also improve his technique in the coming years under our coaching team.

22 minutes ago, Mil-ing Around said:

I think the people who say there's fuck all wrong with his technique aren't analysing every touch (which is fair enough)

But they are also being pretty oblivious. He has clear technical flaws. Klopp has also hinted at this and that's why he's talked about his potential in a long term aspect. You only have to see the way he controls and receives the ball and even passes the ball. It's been pretty clear in every game he's played so far.

But that's not to say he's been rubbish. Neither me or you have said that. I think he's been good, and as I said before, what he lacks in being a natural footballer he makes up for with sheer desire, force and work rate. He's going to be a very good player for us. It'll be interesting to see who has the better career in England between him and Haaland. I think Nunez will just because of the above and the fact he can also improve his technique in the coming years under our coaching team.

Yeah, there has to be nuance. He isn't a complete donkey of course but he has a specific style and that style probably isn't conducive to doing certain things for now.

The Klopp quote about him needing time to me is about that; he isn't a complete footballer. But some of the things we've already seen him do explain why we signed him; his runs are ridiculous, he is a wrecking ball. Some of his shooting is reminiscent of old school number 9's, where it's early and on the turn and it's powerful.

He really suits the football we play when we're direct and Trent is finding the forwards quickly. And for the start, that's totally fine. Maybe he adds the rest later. 

And also, he and Firmino as the two central strikers is really great. The contrast they offer in style is perfect. 

13 hours ago, Mook said:

Where are people getting that his technique isn't great?

I've watched him in three full games now, he's scored in every one and his technique looks superb to me.

Most of it seems to be coming from Nigerian Everton fans with 10 Twitter followers. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, s(k)aturation said:

Did Ian Rush have a technique?

Hi passing was very good and was great towards the end of his career, we used to call him Jan Molby esque for his later days passing, used to drop off ping a cross field 60-yarder with ease did rushie.

7 hours ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Can't believe 3 Stacks said this lad is a poor man's Patty Bam-Bam.

He said Diaz is one for the hipsters and called him terrible just before we signed him. He should stick to being the Ligue 1 guy. 

16 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

You did though? No shame in it. i didn't want is to sign Salah Honestly thought he'd be shit for us after his Chelsea stint. 

We've had this conversation before, I didn't. 

Who cares honestly, though. Can't be arsed with these boring pot shots and  I don't care how wrong you were about Salah. I don't have to bring that up. Also, this is the Nunez thread.