You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

169 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

2 hours ago, Moo said:

Glad it looks like Klopp is getting his man.  

Personally not excited about this one, the little I've seen of him just doesn't do it for me, can't quite put my finger on it.  I suppose he looks functional.  I feel like we need some magic.

I think it's because we know what the problem is, scoring Vs low block teams, and I look at this fella and I don't see his skillset solving that problem for us.  

For me, our problem in those games is us not getting to the byline and fizzing a ball across.  

Of course I hope I'm wrong.  

2 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

I think it's because we know what the problem is, scoring Vs low block teams, and I look at this fella and I don't see his skillset solving that problem for us.  

For me, our problem in those games is us not getting to the byline and fizzing a ball across.  

There’s a fella at Man City called Sterling who wants away I believe, he gets to the byline quite a lot…………

4 hours ago, Mil-ing Around said:

Add some music, show me some "best bits" and im sold. He's going to be a real handful for most of the defenders in our league.

(just ignore the very last clip, shit editing by this guy, prick)

I love the way he slows it down and then knocks it past the centre half,  and then he’s gone with a burst pace. I think he’s going to be a real handful.

I also like how we’re getting this done nice and early so he will have the full pre-season with us. 

15 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

But is it, though? Because over the past 4 seasons, bar 20-21 which was a write off, we feast on the mid and lower table, and those teams almost exclusively play a low block. That's how we keep breaking the 90 point mark.

The actual problem is clearly the big games against big teams and in those big games we see a variety of tactics. Nunez has performed against big teams. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

To…?

Buying this fella is exactly the same type of shit United used to do under Ferguson.

When he spent ridiculous money on Fedinand and Rooney, many were skeptical. But these were generational players, and he believed he simply HAD to to get em in, no matter the cost.

We did that with VVD and Alisson, and we are now doing this with Nunez.

When we bought the original front 3, we were nowhere near the big clubs in terms of competing for top talent. They were mid table players with potential.

We're now blowing Spurs and United out of the water, buying the best players in their respective leagues, and taking complete advantage of the situation we're in.

Just like United did in the 90s and 00s.

We won't be able to complete with the oil clubs on wages, but that's a double-edged sword for them, because they'll often end up with players who don't really want to be there.

It's only Real Madrid that have beaten us over the last couple of years to those 2 top talents in midfield. Their history plus salary structure is always going to make them tough competition.

Klopp's new contract, the season we just had, and the fact that we're getting lots of big salaries off the books during the next few windows is giving us an unbelievable opportunity to build for the next 10 years.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 10

31 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

we already have player capable of stretching the play/switching the play and getting to the byline.

3 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

But is it, though? Because over the past 4 seasons, bar 20-21 which was a write off, we feast on the mid and lower table, and those teams almost exclusively play a low block. That's how we keep breaking the 90 point mark.

The actual problem is clearly the big games against big teams and in those big games we see a variety of tactics. Nunez has performed against big teams. 

Yep, the three finals this year hammered that point home. We've become a bit of a flat track bully team to try keeping pace with City in the league. We control play, the lesser sides sit deep, and we wear them down. The low block teams probably suit us now.

The finals, the Spurs and Chelsea league games, were all more open, and when we didn't take early chances our attacks fell into predictable patterns. Hopefully Nunez offers something that can help alleviate that.

I wonder if we'll see Trent underlapping less next season, staying wide for more traditional deliveries into the box. Henderson has many qualities, but when he's outside operating almost as a winger, he's not going to beat his man or put a ball in like Trent.

• Like 1

My other frustration at this deal is that it's going to work one of two ways.

(A) he's not quite good enough

(B) he is, and gets better, and in 2 years he's whining about a move to Spain. 

He's a young South American, they all have the same fucking operating system, it's not 'if' but 'when'.  

Diaz might do the same, but he looks like a gargoyle so he might not get the same attention from them.  

• Downvote 2

22 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Spurs, Arsenal, and Chelsea played a low block. 

It's not just lower table teams. 

Madrid played a low block for a long time. 

6 minutes ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Spurs, Arsenal, and Chelsea played a low block. 

It's not just lower table teams. 

Madrid played a low block for a long time. 

The only teams out of those that clearly parked it was Spurs at Anfield and Madrid. Chelsea didn't park it at all. We generally smoked Arsenal. 

"Struggles against a low block" is such a football cliche. Every single team can suffer against that type of team on any given day. It doesn't mean it's a huge problem. If it was a huge problem, we'd be breaking our teeth against most of the Premier League and finishing 5th. Even the small teams we failed to beat, Brighton and Brentford, play pretty attacking football.

20 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

Yep, the three finals this year hammered that point home. We've become a bit of a flat track bully team to try keeping pace with City in the league. We control play, the lesser sides sit deep, and we wear them down. The low block teams probably suit us now.

The finals, the Spurs and Chelsea league games, were all more open, and when we didn't take early chances our attacks fell into predictable patterns. Hopefully Nunez offers something that can help alleviate that.

I wonder if we'll see Trent underlapping less next season, staying wide for more traditional deliveries into the box. Henderson has many qualities, but when he's outside operating almost as a winger, he's not going to beat his man or put a ball in like Trent.

Yeah, the big games we struggled to impose our style. Mostly by not winning the midfield battle in those games. Against small fry's we basically do what we want even if they put everyone in defense.

I think Darwin offers match winning physicality in the bigger games. The way people talk about him, he's a monster athlete.

9 hours ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

If we don't bring in a world class midfielder with pace then this window will have been a failure imo, regardless of our other acquisitions.

This transfer will easily be covered by outgoings. 

I expect we’ll get that young kid from Aberdeen and hopefully a top quality midfielder. The money is definitely there. 

Shit!

We’re signing a guy and he’s never played for us before and he might be good he might not work out so well I just don’t know, anything could happen! Better get to Twitter to freak out! I want a guaranteed superstar if we are paying good money!!!

1 hour ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yeah, the big games we struggled to impose our style. Mostly by not winning the midfield battle in those games. Against small fry's we basically do what we want even if they put everyone in defense.

Really? I agree about some of the big teams, but when did we get good at playing the teams that packed their defence? I doubt it will show up in the match threads from last season. 

17 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

Really? I agree about some of the big teams, but when did we get good at playing the teams that packed their defence? I doubt it will show up in the match threads from last season. 

Of course we're generally good at beating teams who defend like that. How else are we getting the points totals we're getting?

8 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

My other frustration at this deal is that it's going to work one of two ways.

(A) he's not quite good enough

(B) he is, and gets better, and in 2 years he's whining about a move to Spain. 

He's a young South American, they all have the same fucking operating system, it's not 'if' but 'when'.  

Diaz might do the same, but he looks like a gargoyle so he might not get the same attention from them.  

He has already played in Spain,for Almeria,who get 20% of the fee having sold him to Benfica.

8 hours ago, TD_LFC said:

I don't think we match up stylistically very well to Tuchel's Chelsea, Conte's Spurs or Ancelotti's teams generally.

We would have beaten Madrid if not for dog shit finishing, we dominated. Spuds at home we should have won, shit finishing again. Away we missed half our team. Chelsea have quality players throughout and a good manager.  It took them scoring a wonder goal in the league to draw with us at Stamford Bridge.