You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

169 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

25 minutes ago, dave u said:

Probably should be in the amnesty thread but I think Andy Carroll was a massive talent and that we did see it in flashes.

Problem was he was as unprofessional as it gets in the modern game. Lived his life like an 80s footballer when everyone else was looking after themselves. When he was fit though he could be unplayable. Scored an FA Cup semi final winner against the Blues and almost single handedly turned the final our way after being wrongly left out of the starting eleven. He was sensational in the league game with Chelsea few days after too.

We should never have signed him, but not because of football reasons. He was exactly what Kenny wanted to play alongside Suarez. But everyone knew he was a pisshead and the rumour at the time was that the injury he had when he signed came as a result of falling off a barstool.

If he'd looked after himself he could have been the Harry Kane of his time.

Agree, the price properly fucked with his head as well, I think. 

Reckon Drogba is more the template that he could have been, though. Don't think he'd ever have been as creative as Kane, nor quite as profilic.

1 hour ago, dave u said:

He seemed to move around a lot and popped up all over the place. On the compilation of his performance at Anfield he was at left back at one point, chasing back to win the ball. Seems to have a really good work rate and isn't 'just' a number nine so that's why I could see it working if we adapt what we do a little.

Ultimately though it comes down to what you said. Klopp and the staff know what they're doing so if they want him, great. If they think someone else is a better option, I'm sound with that too.

Yeah I thought his workrate was good against us and he can finish.

Carroll fucked his career up but before he joined us he looked unplayable at times. I think we were looking for a re-run of the Tosh/Keegan partnership but his lack of professionalism should have been picked up by someone. 

I think Nunez could be a fantastic player under Jurgen and his coaches, the boy didnt look shabby when he played at Anfield recently.

Much as I love Mo and Sadio, one or both will be off soon and sometimes, I think the pair of them lack height and a bit of physical presence in and around the box sometimes when up against big gammuts in the oppos defence.

Dont think he's worth the money Benfica are supposedly asking for him but if our Portuguese contacts can work a bit of magic, who knows?

• Upvote 1

He's very big, very fast, looks to be a good finisher, he's only 22 and gave both Virgil and Konate a very hard time over two legs. 

No idea if we're in for him or if it's agent talk but with Mane going, we should he all over him. Seeing as we play 98% of games with teams camped in their own box, it would be great to have a proper target for Trent and Robbo to aim crosses at when we can't play our way through.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Is he as good as Antonio Nuñez?

Antonio Nunez' dogged run down the right wing in stoppage time against Chelsea at home in '05, when we were right under it, is one of the greatest moments in the 130-year history of Liverpool Football Club. Pretty much sealed the deal. He'll always be a fucking leg for that in my eyes. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 7

3 hours ago, Chris said:

Antonio Nunez' dogged run down the right wing in stoppage time against Chelsea at home in '05, when we were right under it, is one of the greatest moments in the 130-year history of Liverpool Football Club. Pretty much sealed the deal. He'll always be a fucking leg for that in my eyes. 

I was at the game to witness his debut against Arsenal, the famous Neil Mellor winner.

Something to tell the grandkids.

12 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

I was at the game to witness his debut against Arsenal, the famous Neil Mellor winner.

Something to tell the grandkids.

That was already one of my favourite Anfield games ever. That was BEFORE I knew it was Tony Nunez's debut. Now it might be my outright favourite.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, joe_fishfish said:

Always had a feeling he'd go to the mancs, but Newcastle would make sense too. Can't wait to see how they get away with zero penalties for completely ignoring FFP like City did.

The Swiss Ramble guy had a thread on Twitter saying they can spend 600m.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Chris said:

Also, I made eye contact with him and exchanged a fist-pumping roar during the homecoming parade.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, dave u said:

Probably should be in the amnesty thread but I think Andy Carroll was a massive talent and that we did see it in flashes.

Problem was he was as unprofessional as it gets in the modern game. Lived his life like an 80s footballer when everyone else was looking after themselves. When he was fit though he could be unplayable. Scored an FA Cup semi final winner against the Blues and almost single handedly turned the final our way after being wrongly left out of the starting eleven. He was sensational in the league game with Chelsea few days after too.

We should never have signed him, but not because of football reasons. He was exactly what Kenny wanted to play alongside Suarez. But everyone knew he was a pisshead and the rumour at the time was that the injury he had when he signed came as a result of falling off a barstool.

If he'd looked after himself he could have been the Harry Kane of his time.

That's not Amnesty, it's exactly what it was. 
Big Andy was and is still on his day absolutely World Class. 

and if it was for Goal Line technology he would have turned that Final around. 

Problem is he will end his playing career and join Razor Ruddock in rolling around in an Engerlund Shirt for Shitty ITV charity documentaries 

• Downvote 1