You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Should we sign him?   

169 members have voted

1. 1. Should we sign him?

43 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I said he gave me Carroll vibes. He does. He’s not exactly like Carroll, he’s more mobile than Carroll, but he’s also a played that did well against us, like Carroll, and I think wouldn’t mesh with the team unless we built it to utilise him, like Carroll. So I’m out. 

I don't think we'd have to build the team around him as such, but we would need to tweak how we play if we're to get the best out of him as he wouldn't just slot in and do what Bobby did / does (delete as appropriate). That may have been the plan anyway though as Klopp and the staff do evolve the tactics every summer.

7 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

Unlike Carroll, though, he hasn't been damaging his calf, heel and ankle since he was about six by landing with all of his weight on the back of his feet (thanks for that, N'Cazzle youth coaches, who saw it happening and did nothing); he also doesn't move with all the grace and urgency of an ancient oil tanker; he also hasn't been subsisting largely on crisps and ale since he became a professional; he also hasn't required fans in the Main Stand to shout out, 'Get onside, ya daft bastard!' several times a game; and he's not, as far as I know, a massive bellend. So: nothing at all like Andy Carroll.

I really don’t know how to make people understand that I’m not saying he’s exactly like Carroll, like some oaf or something. I’m saying he, or his transfer, gives me Carroll vibes. 

1 minute ago, dave u said:

I don't think we'd have to build the team around him as such, but we would need to tweak how we play if we're to get the best out of him as he wouldn't just slot in and do what Bobby did / does (delete as appropriate). That may have been the plan anyway though as Klopp and the staff do evolve the tactics every summer.

Funny thing is though, he seemed at his best on the left against us. I dunno, I’m Skeptical but as I’ve always said, I trust this group of decision makers. If the manager wants him, I’m fine with it. 

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I really don’t know how to make people understand that I’m not saying he’s exactly like Carroll, like some oaf or something. I’m saying he, or his transfer, gives me Carroll vibes. 

So, what you're saying is that he's a giant ponytailed Geordie?

I don't see it myself, but it's all just opinions, isn't it.

• Upvote 1

He seemed to move around a lot and popped up all over the place. On the compilation of his performance at Anfield he was at left back at one point, chasing back to win the ball. Seems to have a really good work rate and isn't 'just' a number nine so that's why I could see it working if we adapt what we do a little.

Ultimately though it comes down to what you said. Klopp and the staff know what they're doing so if they want him, great. If they think someone else is a better option, I'm sound with that too.

1 minute ago, Vincent Vega said:

I thought he looked like a young version of Cavani in the two games against us. Worked hard and made clever runs. I think tweaking our attacking play would be no bad thing, it’s always useful to evolve.

I always thought Cavani was shite until he joined United and I watched him more closely. He was much better than I ever gave him credit for, mostly because of his work rate and his clever movement.

I felt the same way about Benzema too until I saw him play at Anfield and he was fucking boss.

Zlatan however, was, is, and forever shall be fucking shite.

• Upvote 6

Julian Dicks played quite well against us before we signed him. Maybe Nunez gives off Julian Dicks vibes. Brendan Rodgers did well against us as manager of Swansea. Maybe Nunez gives off Brendan Rodgers vibes. Then there was Robbie Keane. Maybe he gives off Robbie Keane vibes. Keep them coming, they're all incredibly illuminating and not at all overly personalised projections.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 minutes ago, dave u said:

I know exactly what NV is saying to be fair.

If we sign Nunez though that won't stop me from continually saying "remember you said he was worse than Andy Carroll" every time he scores. 

Oh, fair is indeed fair. If he’s good, I deserve everything get. We are, what, a decade after Andy Carroll and I still pop up with the occasional ‘I was right about about Carroll and Downing’. What’s the point in making a call if you can’t run it in for years? 

3 minutes ago, dave u said:

I always thought Cavani was shite until he joined United and I watched him more closely. He was much better than I ever gave him credit for, mostly because of his work rate and his clever movement.

I felt the same way about Benzema too until I saw him play at Anfield and he was fucking boss.

Zlatan however, was, is, and forever shall be fucking shite.

I liked him at Napoli, but was less impressed with him at PSG as i thought his record was just okay for a league where they steamroller everyone. As you say though Dave, I really noticed his work rate and hunger when he turned up at the Mancs. He showed the rest of those lazy show ponies up, even though he was 35 and winding down his career.

Just now, gkmacca said:

Julian Dicks played quite well against us before we signed him. Maybe Nunez gives off Juian Dicks vibes. Brendan Rodgers did well against us as manager of Swansea. Maybe Nunez gives off Brendan Rodgers vibes. Then there was Robbie Keane. Maybe he gives off Robbie Keane vibes. Keep them coming, they're all incredibly illuminating and not at all overly personalised projections.

Yawn. Again, not the only thing I’m judging him off. 

14 minutes ago, Vincent Vega said:

I thought he looked like a young version of Cavani in the two games against us. Worked hard and made clever runs. I think tweaking our attacking play would be no bad thing, it’s always useful to evolve.

Probably a better shout than Carroll in terms of actual likeness. We’d have to change up how we play, and if that’s what the manager wants, I’m in. 

5 minutes ago, Pidge said:

not sure I'd be happy dropping £80m or whatever on this guy. 

Luckily neither are the club.

The downside is people tend to get fixated on one name and if we don't sign him then the perceived narrative will be more important than the reality. The twitter machine is already gearing up for him to be the saviour and only solution to Mane leaving.

Only saw him against us, but it strikes me as a signing with an element of jeopardy, especially at the potential price. Like others said, however, I trust that the club will make the right decision anyway based on more information than I have. That said, my gut feeling is that it won't be happening anyway.

5 minutes ago, chrisbonnie said:

I think splashing out on him is a win win. 

He comes in, scores the guts of 100 goals in 3-4 seasons. The lad will be 26 then. 

So then you sell him on to barca or Madrid for an extortionate amount of money. 

Easy this scouting game isn't it

It's win win if you ignore that he might be shit and we have to loan him to Bournemouth following 6 goals in 3 years. I'm sick of the malingering twat and his stupid face already, I'm all the way out.

28 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Oh, fair is indeed fair. If he’s good, I deserve everything get. We are, what, a decade after Andy Carroll and I still pop up with the occasional ‘I was right about about Carroll and Downing’. What’s the point in making a call if you can’t run it in for years? 

Probably should be in the amnesty thread but I think Andy Carroll was a massive talent and that we did see it in flashes.

Problem was he was as unprofessional as it gets in the modern game. Lived his life like an 80s footballer when everyone else was looking after themselves. When he was fit though he could be unplayable. Scored an FA Cup semi final winner against the Blues and almost single handedly turned the final our way after being wrongly left out of the starting eleven. He was sensational in the league game with Chelsea few days after too.

We should never have signed him, but not because of football reasons. He was exactly what Kenny wanted to play alongside Suarez. But everyone knew he was a pisshead and the rumour at the time was that the injury he had when he signed came as a result of falling off a barstool.

If he'd looked after himself he could have been the Harry Kane of his time.

• Upvote 4

8 minutes ago, dave u said:

Probably should be in the amnesty thread but I think Andy Carroll was a massive talent and that we did see it in flashes.

Problem was he was as unprofessional as it gets in the modern game. Lived his life like an 80s footballer when everyone else was looking after themselves. When he was fit though he could be unplayable. Scored an FA Cup semi final winner against the Blues and almost single handedly turned the final our way after being wrongly left out of the starting eleven. He was sensational in the league game with Chelsea few days after too.

We should never have signed him, but not because of football reasons. He was exactly what Kenny wanted to play alongside Suarez. But everyone knew he was a pisshead and the rumour at the time was that the injury he had when he signed came as a result of falling off a barstool.

If he'd looked after himself he could have been the Harry Kane of his time.

He really needed an extra turn of pace, and not to have tried to emulate Gazza. He's a metoo waiting to happen.