You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Webb returns?

Frank Dacey

I don't normally knock refs, as I think it's a tough job and most get the majority of calls right. Friend, Pawson, even the buxom Jon Moss.

Webb, however, was consistently awful with big calls, particularly after the World Cup final. He'd rather bottle it and wave play on than risk being wrong. Still livid about the pen Suarez should've had against Arsenal. Wiped out in the area, Webb's looking at it, and nothing. Shithouse.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

I don't normally knock refs, as I think it's a tough job and most get the majority of calls right. Friend, Pawson, even the buxom Jon Moss.

Webb, however, was consistently awful with big calls, particularly after the World Cup final. He'd rather bottle it and wave play on than risk being wrong. Still livid about the pen Suarez should've had against Arsenal. Wiped out in the area, Webb's looking at it, and nothing. Shithouse.

Webb was almost a half decent ref until he knew about his chances of getting the world cup gig. I remember at the time Graham poll used to go on a podcast (I think with Mark Chapman who's all over the BBC these days) and he called it - now he has the chance to get to the top, he will stop doing everything that got him here and will stop making decisions. He said refs go into every game when they know they've something to lose knowing giving nothing is rarely remembered. But giving a big decision that's wrong is remembered and especially at old Trafford (these must have been the days of Ferguson). Poll admitted he was guilty of it himself. And he was right about Webb, from that moment on he stopped making decisions. 

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Frank Dacey said:

Just seen this in the Telegraph

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/06/01/premier-league-referees-chief-mike-riley-fighting-job-attempts/

Just when you thought it couldn't get any worse....

I'm glad Riley is finally (hopefully) getting wellied out but Howard fucking Webb? This is why I have no trust in anybody in football anymore,clubs,officials,ruling bodies,all cunts.

14 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Webb was almost a half decent ref until he knew about his chances of getting the world cup gig. I remember at the time Graham poll used to go on a podcast (I think with Mark Chapman who's all over the BBC these days) and he called it - now he has the chance to get to the top, he will stop doing everything that got him here and will stop making decisions. He said refs go into every game when they know they've something to lose knowing giving nothing is rarely remembered. But giving a big decision that's wrong is remembered and especially at old Trafford (these must have been the days of Ferguson). Poll admitted he was guilty of it himself. And he was right about Webb, from that moment on he stopped making decisions. 

I’m sure there’s a lot of truth to that point, I’ve heard other refs make very similar points. 

But Graham ‘Showtime’ Poll can go fuck himself the useless cunt. 

11 minutes ago, lifetime fan said:

I’m sure there’s a lot of truth to that point, I’ve heard other refs make very similar points. 

But Graham ‘Showtime’ Poll can go fuck himself the useless cunt. 

Poll was alright on that podcast - i hated him before it. But he did more to provide an understanding of the refereeing process than anyone has ever been able to do for me. So he wasn't doing a Walton or a Gallagher, talking back through the weekends poor refereeing performances and try to find ways to agree with the decision made. He went through the process - and some times very human process - of how they make decisions and how they have to make decisions if they're ambitious. And he was of no doubt any ref who gets as far as the top flight is ambitious. He also talked about things like old Trafford and how refs were intimidated by Ferguson. He said he often gave poor decisions subconsciously, when he watched his performance back he couldn't believe some of the choices he made, but that was the pressure Ferguson put on refs and you knew if you got one wrong for him, it could set your career back years.