You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Real Madrid 1 Liverpool 0 (May 28 2022)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

I said during the week that when we missed out on the title last weekend I was gutted far more for Klopp and the players than I was for myself and the rest of the fanbase. After this one, I feel the opposite. I’m gutted for us. Proper gutted and down in the dumps about it. We needed this after last week and it would have been fucking amazing to add number seven and parade it around town. 

Last week the lads took care of business in their own game but they had no control over what happened elsewhere. They’d had an incredible season and did all they could in the run in but it wasn’t enough. That’s why I felt so bad for them. It wasn’t in their hands but they did all they could. There’s no regrets over the league, only resentment that we were beaten by cheats. 

This was different. This trophy was in their hands. All they had to do was go out and beat a team who they are clearly superior to. Sadly they couldn’t do it and therefore it’s not really like last week. Our players can have no complaints after this because the bottom line is they just didn’t do enough to win. It’s not that they were outplayed, far from it. We dominated the game and Madrid offered virtually nothing in attack. But they scored and we didn’t.

Even though we were clearly the better side overall, Madrid played exactly the way they wanted to and I don’t think we can say the same. It’s massively disappointing and it’s a missed opportunity because we haven’t lost to a great team. We should be beating them but it’s Real Madrid in this competition and for whatever reason (not going to get into the “aura of the competition again” but it is a thing) it’s much easier said than done.  

Mind you, the whole night just had really bad fucking juju about it. There was the disgusting way the fans were treated which resulted in a delayed kick off, and all that drama with Thiago where it looked like he wasn’t going to play, then he was, then he wasn’t, then eventually he did. It just had a bad feeling before it even started.

The most disheartening thing about the performance is that I never felt at any point in the second half that we would score. It wasn’t just me either, all the lads I was watching with had the same feeling. You could just tell we weren’t right in the final third and it was a tough watch. 

Everything up until there was sound, but it was one of those games we have from time to time where the decision making in and around the box is just generally awful. We picked the worst possible time to have one those performances.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £3 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic

The worst thing about off-season is not the lack of games but the lack of reports!! Thanks for adding so much to an incredible season Dave, especially with all you went through this year.

Can't wait for next season!

• Upvote 9

I was feeling a lot worse before the parade yesterday. Seeing those scenes lifted ths spirits. The players were so made up with the reception, it was crazy really. Immense pride in the team and fans, what a club. Make no doubt this is one of greatest sides and they deserve all the pludits given the efforts of the last few weeks and months.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 5

We feel sorry for You, Dave. We can all look away to forget our mosey, but you can’t, you gotta do your job. I couldn’t do that.

But the ride has been fantastic, it will remain as a special season, no doubt about it. Let’s get the couple of right players we need, and we go again.

• Upvote 2

We’ve been swimming every day in our indoor heated pool

Don't need to copy the full paragraph but that my friend was quality writing.

Tough mentally draining season as you said.

I also expected so much more from Diaz but he looked goosed to me. Expecting even greater things from him after a full pre-season to fully understand what Jurgen wants.

Thanks for great reports, must be an age thing because podcasts anywhere don't cut it for me.

• Upvote 2

Yes, they did a Big Sam on us didn't they? A completely unremarkable team that ground its way to a win. Shame, as we should have pissed on them.

Anyway, thanks Dave. Couldn't do without your great match reports. Love the site, as I did with the fanzine in the old days.

Heads up for the lads and all the supporters...onward and upward for next season.....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Massive respect for maintaining the high standard of reports, round ups and diaries over the last few weeks, in the face of a very deflating end to an otherwise fantastic season, as well as  what’s happened recently on a personal level. 

• Upvote 2

Spot on. This game more than any final I can remember feels like we let the opponent off the hook. We looked like we could dismantle them at will early on and they just waited for a chance and took it. Every 50/50 seemed to go there way, and it started to feel like 'one of those games'. 

It was the best of times, it was the worst of times. On the one hand, that feels like a punch in the guts - knowing we could have had them - but conversely, how far we've come that we forced a club as thoroughly up its own arse as Madrid to play like Underdogs and not be raked over  the coals for it by their own fans and journalists. 

If you'd told me 10 years ago we'd come away from a CL final with Madrid having won as 'plucky underdogs' I'd have said you'd been eating mushrooms. 

It's going to be the most exciting summer for a while IMO, the club knows Covid is in the rear view and can make plans for the first time in a long time, and there's no way Klopp would have signed a contract without a guarantee of funds. He's bruised, the players are bruised, but they're hungry for phase II. Bring it on. 

• Upvote 2

Thanks for all those great match reports, Dave, especially in the past few weeks when you had to deal with so many personal issues. Looking forward to your end of season report this time next year when we're basking in the glow of number 20!

• Upvote 1

Thanks Dave.  A perfect summary of what’s been a difficult few weeks at the end of a stellar season.  And thanks for all the good stuff you’ve given us over what has been a difficult time for you.  It’s much appreciated.  I’m now looking forward to next season - I’m excited to see who we’re bringing in!

• Upvote 4

Got quite emotional reading that report Dave. an amazing season and parade but the departure of Sadie feels like a turning point in the inevitable break-up of this fabulous team. Not to say that the next incarnation won’t be as great as this one but this has been our team, one that compares favourably with any other in our history.

Raising a toast to the last nine months, in particular your reports that have brought the season to life with insight and humour despite difficult personal circumstances. I’m taking a break from football (no, I am not following the Bitters) so I can look forward to the season to come and writing more records.

YNWA…Up the Reds!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for that Dave. I'm still looking for some catharsis but yesterday's positive atmosphere during the parade, and this report, have gone a long way towards getting me there. A spirit of defiance in the face of those laughing at our 'failures'. These lads have always come back stronger the following year after a setback, and with Jurgen at the helm, I think we will be back once again. No matter how down you are, this club and its fans have a way of lifting you up again.

If everyone's happy for me to continue, I'll be back with the match threads again. I've already got a theme going but I'm looking for a new fresh element. If you have any ideas, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

• Upvote 4

Once again, everything covered concisely, as we’ve come to expect, the shitshow outside the stadium probably deserves a thread of its own but having heard the bullshit coming from France, I doubt we’ll get anything remotely like a balanced investigation this side of 2050.

Fair comment about us needing to be more clinical, I was criticised for suggesting we had three world class forwards, but no world class striker, a while ago not least from my lad who thought I was talking crap, but my point wasn’t the goals we scored but the ones we miss. To be fair we were blowing teams away with three and four goal bursts then, but that has died away recently, anyway, as you said Dave, I expect Klopp will have something up his sleeve and so I’ll look forwards to the team, and you Dave, going again when the season starts.

Thanks for the insights and comment this last season.

Have a good summer!

• Upvote 1

Thanks for another season of tremendous reports. Top, top stuff from someone who really knows what they're talking about and can articulate it in a way that makes you feel like you're talking to a mate down the pub. Rare and underappreciated talent that these days.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic