You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Dinosaurs

4 hours ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

An interesting take. Although they were around, they are known as crocodilians and there were others who were there too. As they're cold blooded they survived the fallout that destroyed the dinos as they were warm blooded. They also can survive with only one meal per year.

I would have added snakes and lizards too but crocodiles make my point too. Crocs are also named Saurians,as in Dinosaurs but I have no idea if this is an actual classification or sort of a nickname.

49 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Brontosaurus was never, and will never be, a real dinosuar...

Sorry.

https://text.npr.org/166665795

Yeah, I put in the post Bobby quoted that the info in that book has been largely superceded now. I remember reading a similar article saying that Brontosaurus wasn't a thing a while back, and thinking, 'bullshit'. Then remembering that the book I first read about dinosaurs was probably written the best part of 50 years ago.

Although, it could just have been written out of history by sneaky T Rexes fucking its birds on the sly.

Brontosaurus is back. From Wikipedia

Almost all 20th-century paleontologists agreed with Riggs that all Apatosaurus and Brontosaurus species should be classified in a single genus. According to the rules of the ICZN (which governs the scientific names of animals), the name Apatosaurus, having been published first, had priority as the official name; Brontosaurus was considered a junior synonym and was therefore discarded from formal use.[33][34][35][36] Despite this, at least one paleontologist—Robert T. Bakker—argued in the 1990s that A. ajax and A. excelsus are in fact sufficiently distinct that the latter continues to merit a separate genus.[31] In 2015, an extensive study of diplodocid relationships by Emanuel Tschopp, Octavio Mateus, and Roger Benson concluded that Brontosaurus was indeed a valid genus of sauropod distinct from Apatosaurus. The scientists developed a statistical method to more objectively assess differences between fossil genera and species, and concluded that Brontosaurus could be "resurrected" as a valid name. They assigned two former Apatosaurus species, A. parvus and A. yahnahpin, to Brontosaurus, as well as the type species B. excelsus.[4] Paleontologist Michael D'Emic made a critique.[37] Paleontologist Donald Prothero criticized the mass media reaction to this study as superficial and premature.[38]

1280px-Brontosaurus_infographic.jpg

9 hours ago, johnsusername said:

Everything about dinosaurs is mind-boggling. Their size, how long ago they lived, how long they were around for.

My favourite is any that could fly. Especially the Quetzalcoatlus. A massive, flying bastard.

Qauetalz.jpg

With beak like that, was it found in Colombia?

• 2 weeks later...