You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Harrison Ford - 5 movie streak

lebron

Presumed Innocent was on earlier, always mixing that up with Frantic or one of the other run of the mill movies Ford did in the late 80's. Doesn't help that he's called Dick or Richard in half of the movies either. Checked his IMDB page to try to sort what was what, when it struck me; Has any other actor had such a hot streak in movie history? Uninterrupted (if IMDB is to be trusted).

1980 - Star Wars - ESB

1981 - Raiders of the lost ark

1982 - Blade Runner

1983 - Star Wars - ROTJ

1984 - Temple of Doom 

Okay, maybe 5 is a bit generous, as TOD isn't everyone's cup of tea. Still, the point stands in terms of critical acclaim and box office. 

I really don't think Harrison Ford is a good actor at all & three of those films (the non-Star Wars ones) do absolutely nothing for me.

Plenty actors in the 70s & 80s had much better 5 film runs, as Stig & Tony have already started to point out. Maybe not in terms of box office success.

Both great shouts. Should probably have underlined the lead/co-lead factor of Ford, otherwise Cazale's list is tough to beat in terms of critical acclaim at least.  That being said, I have to admit that I haven't watched "The Conversation", and both Scarecrow and Dog Day afternoon are films I've only seen later on in life (both feeling a bit too dated at that point, no offence).

Thought De Niro would be the first/best suggestion, even if there's a turkey there in the middle. 

In my defence, Mook, I did stress the words uninterrupted and box office. 

I've also made no claims about Ford's general acting ability, simply stating that he had and extremely hot streak in terms of "hits".

Bit surprised that Raiders didn't do anything for you though, one of my all time favourites that. 

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, lebron said:

Thought De Niro would be the first/best suggestion, even if there's a turkey there in the middle. 

In my defence, Mook, I did stress the words uninterrupted and box office. 

I've also made no claims about Ford's general acting ability, simply stating that he had and extremely hot streak in terms of "hits".

Bit surprised that Raiders didn't do anything for you though, one of my all time favourites that. 

Aye, that's fair.

If you're looking for a box office rival, maybe Tom Hanks?

I never liked Indiana Jones as a kid & I certainly haven't warmed to those films. I know I'm in the minority as far as kids who grew up in the 80s go.

2 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Hate him but - Tom Cruise

Top Gun

The Color of Money

Cocktail

Rain Man

Born on the 4th of July

Or:

A Few Good Men

The Firm

Interview w a Vampire

Mission Impossible

Jerry Maguire

Agreed, nobody could touch Tom as a bankable star, a guaranteed box office gold all the way up to Magnolia, when he decided he now wanted to be seen as a serious actor in serious dramas. 

John Cazale is the first name to crop up for best 5-film runs. Every one of the 5 he appeared in is a cracker.

Tom Hanks had this run from the late 90s into the new millennium:

Toy Story 2

The Green Mile

Cast Away

Road To Perdition

Catch Me If You Can

If Red Sonja wasn't there - and he was hardly in it to be fair - Arnie could have had a real run here too.

1991: Terminator 2: Judgment Day
1990: Kindergarten Cop
1990: Total Recall
1988: Twins
1988: Red Heat
1987: The Running Man
1987: Predator
1986: Raw Deal
1985: Commando

1985: Red Sonja
1984: The Terminator
1984: Conan the Destroyer
1982: Conan the Barbarian

Admittedly not all Oscar winning films but all decent and that's some run in terms of bankability. I'm a huge Arnie fan so loved these too:

1996: Jingle All the Way
1996: Eraser
1994: Junior
1994: True Lies

12 hours ago, TheHowieLama said:

Hate him but - Tom Cruise

Top Gun

The Color of Money

Cocktail

Rain Man

Born on the 4th of July

Or:

A Few Good Men

The Firm

Interview w a Vampire

Mission Impossible

Jerry Maguire

Are we talking box office here? I assume so as there are a few shite films films in there for me. The bottom list is far superior to the top in my view.

15 hours ago, Tony Moanero said:

John Cazale

The Godfather

The Conversation 

Dog Day Afternoon

The Deer Hunter

You've forgotten the Godfather II there mate. 

Cazale was in those 5 films in a seven year period (all of which were nominated for Best Picture Oscar), before sadly dying of lung cancer.

Amazing to think the Godfather was his debut film. 

23 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

You've forgotten the Godfather II there mate. 

Cazale was in those 5 films in a seven year period (all of which were nominated for Best Picture Oscar), before sadly dying of lung cancer.

Amazing to think the Godfather was his debut film. 

Yeah, I’m not sure how I managed that.

Just now, TheHowieLama said:

Brando

The Godfather

Last Tango in Paris

The Missouri Breaks

Superman

Apocalypse Now

TBH I never heard of Missouri Breaks - the other 4 are high quality.

The Missouri Breaks is a great film.

Brando & Jack Nicolson in the Wild West.

• Upvote 1