You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Real Madrid (N) - Champions League Final, Sat 28th May 2022 (8:00pm)

Trumo

1 minute ago, Carra_is_legend said:

That would be even more horrible. 

I hate Madrid like anyone but I would have absolutely hated us if we gave City their first European Cup.

City are actually good. I'd rather lose to a good team than lose to a keeper and two scoring chances.

13 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

I want it on record that I tried to neg this but couldn’t. This team doesn’t “keep missing out” you blert. We won 2 out of 3 extremely close cup finals. We won the vast majority of our games in the league. 

Hahahahhaha. Nothing more embarrassing than seeing grown men begging for negs on here. Saying we won the vast majority of our league games is as bad as the the cranks back in the day who used to say we’d have won the league if we’d have started in January. We threw the towel in tonight when they scored and blew the league throwing a shithouse midget midfielder on with 5 minutes to go against spurs while keeping a forward renowned for scoring late winners on the bench.

3 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Top man, top guy - I just hope he starts to demand for more quality this summer and gets rid of some deadwood. He deserves more success.

That's the key, whilst I wouldn't want to suggest we're a poor club, when you look at his spending and value compared to the likes of PSG or City etc it's an astonishing return. I wonder what he'd do with a proper budget?

Despite the result, financially its been a fantastic season.

The money we receive as runners up is huge and I trust it will be spent well further cementing our current position.

We are still feared and look forward to next season with our reputation as the most attacking side in the world still sending shivers down oppositions spines

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Clem H Fandango said:

Despite the result, financially its been a fantastic season.

The money we receive as runners up is huge and I trust it will be spent well further cementing our current position.

We are still feared and look forward to next season with our reputation as the most attacking side in the world still sending shivers down oppositions spines

We missed the boat in 2019, I suspect it'll be a repeat. At least John Henry definitely didn't miss the boat. I'm awaiting a media blitz of his newly upgraded super, super mega yacht.

8 minutes ago, clangers said:

That's the key, whilst I wouldn't want to suggest we're a poor club, when you look at his spending and value compared to the likes of PSG or City etc it's an astonishing return. I wonder what he'd do with a proper budget?

My point is we shouldn't be wondering. He must be fucking demanding now. We have some dead wood, shift those for whatever we can and spend money to improve the quality. He has made lots of money for FSG , it's time now to spend some of that.

We won't get any trophies for underspending.

1 minute ago, 3 Stacks said:

We've gotten to enough finals under Klopp where the law of averages made it so we faced a team in Spurs that wasn't really Champions League final material and we win two pen shootouts. That's why the most important thing is getting there, because the more chances you get, the likelier you'll win some, but at this point, I don't really think it's debatable, Klopp has problems in finals.

That's fine, no one is perfect. No one is better at building a long term project, but there's no debate about what happens in finals.

It wasn't our night but I just don't think we need to go overboard and start making out that we're perennial nearly men because of 1 game or suggest that Klopp can't win finals. 2 out of 3 finals in a season isn't bad. This team has won every available trophy in the last few years. We beat a very good Chelsea side in both domestic finals. Chances were those games were always going to be decided by a single goal or penalties. We weren't playing bums that we were just going to blow away. Ok it was Spurs in the last final and maybe they weren't the most fearsome final opponent, but they had a very good team that year and were there on merit. Tonight was disappointing because I really think this is an extremely average Madrid side and I didn't think we were at our best, but it still needed their keeper to get motm and a goal completely against the run of play for us to lose. They came into the game completely fresh as they'd won their league weeks ago (1 advantage of not having to compete with a team with endless wealth who ignores all the rules), whereas we'd been playing important game after game every 3 days or so right up until last Sunday. That fixture pileup also contributed to our 2 best midfielders also being injury concerns going into this game and may have impacted on their performances. Lots of little things went against us in both the buildup and during the match. Chances are if we continue to make loads of finals then we'll also unfortunately continue to sometimes lose some of them because the margins between winning and losing are so slim. On another day Mendy saves 1 of the other penalties and we lose the FA Cup. On another day Mane's shot hits the post and goes in rather than bouncing out straight back to Courtois. 

• Upvote 3

21 minutes ago, Red74 said:

Hahahahhaha. Nothing more embarrassing than seeing grown men begging for negs on here. Saying we won the vast majority of our league games is as bad as the the cranks back in the day who used to say we’d have won the league if we’d have started in January. We threw the towel in tonight when they scored and blew the league throwing a shithouse midget midfielder on with 5 minutes to go against spurs while keeping a forward renowned for scoring late winners on the bench.

Ifs & maybes.

Feel raw and pissed off. Not going to fault the lads one bit. 70 games for some of them this season. Work to do as always and I trust the club to figure that out. Proud of the lads. 

fuck UEFA and the Gendarmerie. Vile cunts. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Red74 said:

Big deal. We lost again when we had it in our favour tonight. They were there for the taking tonight and didn’t even try to win. This can’t be classed as a great team when we keep missing out like tonight. Great teams get over the challenges put up against them when it counts and we accept being the plucky runners up instead.

FSG will never compete with Abu Dhabi pound for pound, but we’ve still managed to reach 3 European Cup Finals in 5 yrs, win one, & win the PL and come runners up twice in the last five yrs.

Just exactly what do you want from LFC, and/or FSG?

4 hours ago, Red Shift said:

Thiago is a fine holding midfielder. With a great pass. Alonso played a similar game for us. However, in Fabinho, we also have another fine holding midfielder. The result is that we hold the ball. We dominate possession. We get good second ball some of the time as well. However, as we saw tonight, dominating possession doesn’t always win football games.

With respect, that’s nonesense.  Thiago plays the ball faster and forward more than any midfielder we’ve had since Molby.  Unfortunately, due to injury, not in this game.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Grinch said:

I’d be more bothered by it if they didn’t have a perfectly good goal ruled out for offside.  Schooled by that boring Italian prick again.

Still, it’s been an amazing season, hell of a ride.

Think you need to go and school yourself on the offside law as it now stands. You can only be played on side if the opponent makes a deliberate attempt to play the ball. The ball rebounded off fabs knee to a player who had one player between him and the goal. That is offside.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Red74 said:

Blew the league because you just know Origi would have scored? Behave , take away 1 pen awarded to city against Wolves , add one pen for us v Spurs and then award the bitters a clear pen against City and the Spurs game at Anfield  becomes meaningless. Madrid took their one chance and we did not get the rub of the green with ours. We played every possible game you can in a season won 2 trophies and came pretty close to another one or 2. By my reckoning that is not too bad.

• Upvote 2

So much vile shit online reminds me why social media football accounts are out for me. Absolutely make you wonder why you enjoy the sport at all. 

At least there's plenty of mma and boxing to concentrate on

It's disappointing of course and I really hate Madrid as they are entitled bastards who have been backed by a nation state for many decades,way before City's recent windfall. But there was an inevitability about the result based on the way the game was going. When the keeper is tipping shots onto the inside of the post and making saves with his upper arm/shoulder,you know it's not happening. That said,I thought Klopp's sub were uncharacteristically poor based on this season and not leaving one of Thiago or Hendo on much longer was not a great idea. Diaz was still a threat for me and I'd maybe liked to have seen Tsimikas on just for more of a deeper threat and especially better crosses and service. Our corners and crossing were pretty poor for once. Like I said earlier,Ancelotti has a great record against Klopp and is a very tactically astute customer,I just hate that it's Real Madrid again.