You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Real Madrid (N) - Champions League Final, Sat 28th May 2022 (8:00pm)

Trumo

Just now, Bobby Hundreds said:

Toothless. I'm fine with new ideas for our forwards. We cant cling on to Mane, Bobby and salah forever. Evolution, for fuck sake some clinical. If that even exists anymore.

I'm just emotional fed up. They deserve better.

Exactly mate. And those fascist fucks deserve to burn In hell 

3 minutes ago, stringvest said:

I can't believe Trent is getting all the flack for the goal.  They attacked down the left with no opposition due to the latest rush of blood by Robertson.

He's still pressing Modric now and getting nowhere near him.  Idiotic to say the least and not the first time.  He only had to stay in position and there would have been no goal yet got excited and ran into the Madrid half chassing a lost cause.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, stringvest said:

I can't believe Trent is getting all the flack for the goal.  They attacked down the left with no opposition due to the latest rush of blood by Robertson.

Both players were culpable for the goal. Trent might as well not have been there for it.

Gutted that was a massive chance to win the big one against an ok Madrid side feels like this is the end of the cycle for this side time to get busy in the summer and make changes a top striker and midfielder would be good still proud of these boys despite the heartbreak of the last week there is nothing better than being a red

7 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

Funny that the world aren't THAT good at exploiting it, then. We play a high line. Our right back is given more licence to stay up than our left back. When the ball is played over the top fast and they've got a quick player, of course it won't look good. But if what you said was true, our actual defensive record would be poor rather than one of the best in fucking Europe, allowing us to compete for a fucking quaduple.

We have a number of excellent defenders and an excellent keeper. Our midfield is largely workmanlike, too. Robertson pushes on and doesn't get caught out - usually ball watching - like Trent. 

Pushing forward is obviously a factor. But reacting so slowly and ineffectively to threats is a defensive weakness.

1 minute ago, Jose Jones said:

Fit and firing Mo scores two or three of his chances tonight, but he’s been fucked since AFCON.

Nope he is fit but too predictable nowadays. Run with the ball, cut inside and shoot.

He is no Arjen Robben, he's become easy to defend against. And with age he's not become any quicker. 

4 minutes ago, J-V said:

He's still pressing Modric now and getting nowhere near him.  Idiotic to say the least and not the first time.  He only had to stay in position and there would have been no goal yet got excited and ran into the Madrid half chassing a lost cause.

Thiago flying in on his arse wasn't great either, knew we was trouble then

Just now, stringvest said:

Robertson wasn't there for it.  The chance should have not arisen.

There’s only so much you can do to stop the other team from creating chances and when they do we need to be able to defend them. Trent knew Vinicius was behind him, he had to know, and he just ignored him.

2 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Their goal was jammy as fuck. An absolute spazzy shot landed at Vinicius's feet. No way was Valverde crossing. 

Yep we didn't deserve to lose that at all. They were shite, they played not to lose which is incredible when you consider their pedigree. We didn't do a lot wrong, it was looking like one of those matches where nothing breaks for you. I'm not as gutted about this as I have been about some losses in the past, for those reasons.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Both players were culpable for the goal. Trent might as well not have been there for it.

He was though. Playing him on.

Bottom line is that we had plenty of time to get a goal back but our decision making, along with our dead ball delivery, was shit all night. That and the fact that Madrid are jammy, jammy cunts.

3 minutes ago, aRdja said:

There’s only so much you can do to stop the other team from creating chances and when they do we need to be able to defend them. Trent knew Vinicius was behind him, he had to know, and he just ignored him.

Modric beat our midfield and Robertson with one simple ball after Robertson did the headless chicken impression chassing him into the Madrid half.  He was in position all night bar that won time and it cost us.  As someone else said fine margins.

1 minute ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

In many ways, the real trophy was the friends we made along the way.

I'd expect to hear this at the end of The Love Boat or something. I,m assuming it's a joke of sorts ( my sense of humour has gone walkabout......sorry)

Just now, J-V said:

Modric beat our midfield and Robertson with one simple ball after Robertson did the headless chicken impression.  He was in position all night bar that won time and it cost us.  As someone else said fine margins.

Throughout the build up to their goal, we had numerous chances to bring them down  but didn't. There was an incident in the first half too, when Mané was caught in the area, but stayed on his feet. Nailed on penalty if he'd gone down. We are far too nice. Naively so.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

We have a number of excellent defenders and an excellent keeper. Our midfield is largely workmanlike, too. Robertson pushes on and doesn't get caught out - usually ball watching - like Trent. 

Pushing forward is obviously a factor. But reacting so slowly and ineffectively to threats is a defensive weakness.

The plight of the fullback.

I’d like to see some fluid 4-4-2 experimentation pre-season. With Gomez at RB and who’s to say Trent RM wouldn’t work?