You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Real Madrid (N) - Champions League Final, Sat 28th May 2022 (8:00pm)

Trumo

Our defending is a little naive, particularly on the flanks.  I believe, like we've seen Konate establish himself as first choice, we'll see Tsimikas do the same on the left.  He offers more defensive nous, and more technique and creativity.

We probably need a top quality 3rd midfielder to complement Thiago and Fabinho, and a quality number 10 to remove some of the pressure from Mane and Salah

2 minutes ago, Nelly-Matip said:

But, it wasn’t 0-0. They defended well and, as Gerrard has just said, had a different plan to beat us rather than going toe to toe with us. And they took their chance. We didn’t take ours. We weren’t good enough to break them down. 

They created one dangerous chance, then Valverde means to shoot and it finds Vinicius perfectly. Meanwhile, Courtois has to make the most saves of any keeper in the history of a Champions League Final.

Gerrard saying that is bizarre. It reeks of "the winner always deserves it." In reality, it's just a game where the keeper is good and they score 1 from 2 chances. Good for them.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, RedPaul said:

We look knackered.

Cos we are knackered. Do they have two domestics cup competitions in Spain? On top of the league? I’m not sure, but to be in the position we have got ourselves into this season, is unprecedented. We’ve already made history just to get to 3 finals and take City to the last 20 minutes of the season in the league.

2 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

Trent was appalling for that goal. Holy fuck. 

I‘m not one who bangs on about him “not being a right back” but given how many people have been successfully predicting for weeks how we might lose the game, perhaps  it shouldn’t be taken as given that he plays there in the biggest matches.

5 minutes ago, Bobby Hundreds said:

We huff and puff too much. We need a midfield that offers something through the middle. I'm fucking heartbroken they aren't that good Madrid but I've never felt something so inevitable in my entire fucking life.fuck fuck fuck. To all the neutral cunts that might read this.. our disappointment is your wildest ambition, fuck you. The risk of aiming high is if you get there the fall is all the greater but if you don't get there you'll never know the highs. 

Yep and if it doesn't, then we need to bring back that solidity we had with Fabinho, Gini, and Henderson. Right now it only works and looks good against weak opposition which has masked over a lot of the deficiency.

Thought they defended well, and were excellent positionally. It seemed like almost every time the ball broke free it went to one of their lads, especially in the box. The gormless looking twat in net had a really good game, too.

We weren't great, but it wasn't the worst performance. Get the sense we've been running on fumes for a couple of months now, which I suppose isn't surprising. Hugely disappointing end to the season, all in all.

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, Captain Howdy said:

We desperately, desperately need a striker.

I’m inclined to agree. The final ball was fairly poor tonight, but there were a few fired across that you’d want a player on the end of who can just be in the right place at the right time to bundle it in off his arse, shin, whatever. 

Klopp can work with such a player in the system too as he showed with Lewandowski at Dortmund. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Josef Svejk said:

They didn't need to in City's case. But both City and Chelsea should have beaten us at least once. 

Shoulda , coulda....didnt. Tonight we hit a post and were denied by a fine keepers performance. We do however need to freshen up a bit IMO.

5 minutes ago, Manny said:

I know it’s a massive game but is it possible to lose a match without getting the fucking pitchforks out for the players?

I don’t think it is. We need an inquest about why we haven’t beaten the big sides in the league this year and score nothing in three finals. Or on the other hand, take it on the chin and improve.

Come back next year and lose to Madrid again 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I‘m not one who bangs on about him “not being a right back” but given how many people have been successfully predicting for weeks how we might lose the game, perhaps  it shouldn’t be taken as given that he plays there in the biggest matches.

Thought it looked offside tbh, but the other one shouldn't have been disallowed so whatever. No excuses there.

Courtois doing an Alex McCarthy impression and the ref giving a series of confusing fks to casemiro and militao.is what did us.

Just now, Josef Svejk said:

. And we're extremely vulnerable at right back, as every opponent in the world recognises. 

Funny that the world aren't THAT good at exploiting it, then. We play a high line. Our right back is given more licence to stay up than our left back. When the ball is played over the top fast and they've got a quick player, of course it won't look good. But if what you said was true, our actual defensive record would be poor rather than one of the best in fucking Europe, allowing us to compete for a fucking quaduple.

• Upvote 2

I think tonight was a mixture of bad luck and our own failings. Madrid were largely shit but they took their 1 chance and yet again in a final we missed loads of chances. 3 finals and not 1 goal in any of them despite creating numerous chances. And in truth we've needed way too many chances to score for quite a while now. We can get away with it in most league games, but not in cup finals. Courtois had a fine game, the ball seemed to bounce their way every single fucking time, and we had a ref who you just knew was going to be utter shite the moment he gave them a freekick for 1 of their players falling over in the 1st minute. I'm genuinely sick to fucking death of these clowns not being able to conduct basic timekeeping as well. 5 minutes went up for injury time, there were stoppages in that period, and he blows up dead on 5 minutes after awarding us a freekick that we didn't get to take because 1 of their players hoofed it into our goal. The final tonight reminded me of the 2007 final in so many ways. Loads of trouble with fans getting into the ground already taking the gloss off the occasion, a really shit ref (I remember the one back then being a biased cunt all night and blowing up early as well), and a really mediocre opponent who just seemed to have their name on the trophy.

Their goal seemed to be way too easy. It looked like we had 2 players who should have cut out a simple pass on the halfway line and once it had bypassed them we were in trouble. It looked very close to offside but there didn't seem to be much of a check for it.

Our set pieces were utter garbage all night. Every one of them seemed to be easily cleared. Half of them didn't seem to even clear the first man.

The delivery into the box was also largely poor all night from open play. Trent had a real stinker of a game, Mo mostly looked like the player he has done since coming back from the African Nations (although I didn't think he did too much wrong with that late chance. It was just a great save), Mane was really frustrating and Diaz couldn't get into the game at all. I actually thought Jota did pretty well when he came on. Thiago seemed a bit off all night. He's so much better than the other available options that I think it was worth risking him, but he certainly wasn't anywhere near his best. He made a complete mess of several passes that he'd normally play with his eyes closed. 

A very long season that has produced a couple of domestic cups and been a pleasure to watch for the most part, but the last week has certainly been really shitty. A bit more luck and we could have had the quadruple. As it is we miss out on both of the big trophies and right now it's hard not to feel a bit crap about it all. I probably need a break from footie for a bit so I'm kind of glad it's summer. I'm tired of us having to compete with City's sportswashing and all the greed and corruption in football - which has directly led to a world cup being played in the middle of next season, which has already removed a lot of my enthusiasm for next season. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 4