You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Real Madrid (N) - Champions League Final, Sat 28th May 2022 (8:00pm)

Trumo

1 minute ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Nice to know Mane played while having a Bayern medical at the back of his mind 

What do you want him to do? Knock on Klopps door and say I'm thinking of leaving at the end of the year. You better play Minamino

49 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Thanks Caramac for confirming that that cross for the goal was more hopeful than anything else. We did that several times and nothing came of them yet Madrid do it once and it comes off! They were fated,it seems.

Aye, drill it across the box low and hard, could have gone anywhere. Virgil and Fab unlucky not to get something on it. Could have clipped Benzema on the way through (would have been off). Unfortunately made it all the way through to Vinicius for the tap in.

The longer the days gone on the more this defeat has begun to sting. A dull ache that seems to be settling in for the long run besides its new mate Athens 2007. 

We could, and probably should, have won both of these. Defeats like this stay with you. 

I’m not blaming anyone, it just went the way it did. We’d have won that one last night more often than not, but it just wasn’t to be. 

Number seven, this time next year, will be all the sweeter for the disappointment of Paris 2022.

I thought Benzema was interfering with play at the time but I knew they weren’t even going to look at that after taking 20 minutes to rule out their first goal. As it stands it can be interpreted either way. He’s definitely off and the defenders definitely account for him but he never gets near the ball really and Vinicius is all the way on the other side of the box. 

• Like 1

Firstly, while I'm no fan of Real as a club, their team and management showed class after the game. Maybe, City should take note. Carlo Ancelloti is a great football man and Jesus some of that team have won it five times. Incredible achievement. They really have some legendary players. My mate lives in Madrid and watched it in his Liverpool jersey in the Bernebeau. Said before during and after the game they were sound to him and full of praise for us as a team and club.

To us, it's been an incredible year. Two trophies is a great achievement. 1 point off a title and a final we dominated but let go and it could have been the greatest club achievement of all time. This is a great team we have. 

I love Mo but I feel we might be as well moving him on if we can get good money this summer. The money we get for him goes a long way towards a young replacement and we are never going to spend like drunken sailers under FSG. Just don't want to lose him on a free. Would rather keep Sadio so gutted if he is going. If there is a manager to launch a rebuild with it's Jurgen though. This Tchounemi guy sounds boss but I've only seen him a few times. Hope we are in for him or Bellingham because the midfield needs freshening and that age profile is what we need.

Finally credit to the fans today. Really shows what a great set of supporters we are bar the very few knobheads. Wish I could have been there. Trust me but that will give the team a major lift.

Just on Sadio looking glum - maybe he is a bit sad seeing the fans and realising it is the end of a beautiful 5 years...who knows?

• Upvote 5

2 hours ago, Saintslfc13 said:

I thought Benzema was interfering with play at the time but I knew they weren’t even going to look at that after taking 20 minutes to rule out their first goal. As it stands it can be interpreted either way. He’s definitely off and the defenders definitely account for him but he never gets near the ball really and Vinicius is all the way on the other side of the box. 

20220529_223304.jpg

17 minutes ago, LFC 6 Times said:

Feels worse than Kiev, losing out in 18/19.

Such a massively wasted opportunity.

Not for me I remember at the time being so gutted and thinking that Klopp was just the "nearly man" for us.

Since that final we've won everything there is to win added to the fact he's just extended his contract which is more important than any player. I'm gutted of course but feel that we are not going anywhere for the next few years and we'll stay challenging. 

1 minute ago, Mark M said:

Not for me I remember at the time being so gutted and thinking that Klopp was just the "nearly man" for us.

Since that final we've won everything there is to win added to the fact he's just extended his contract which is more important than any player. I'm gutted of course but feel that we are not going anywhere for the next few years and we'll stay challenging. 

I don't know, I felt that run just came out of nowhere so the stakes, oddly, felt lower. This is our first defeat in a major final since becoming a truly excellent side so it feels, to me at least, like a much more consequential loss. I'm not saying we won't get another opportunity before 2026, but the odds are against it. We've been to three finals since 2018, and it's really fucking difficult and uncommon to reach them, unless you're Real Madrid.

1 minute ago, TheDrowningMan said:

I don't know, I felt that run just came out of nowhere so the stakes, oddly, felt lower. This is our first defeat in a major final since becoming a truly excellent side so it feels, to me at least, like a much more consequential loss. I'm not saying we won't get another opportunity before 2026, but the odds are against it. We've been to three finals since 2018, and it's really fucking difficult and uncommon to reach them, unless you're Real Madrid.

I thought Rafa was a European expert. Klopp just knows how to navigate to finals in European competitions not just with us but with Dortmund as well.

That statement he made about the final in Istanbul at the end of the match about book your hotels now was a not made lightly - he's going to have our squad primed to go all the way again. 

37 minutes ago, Mark M said:

I thought Rafa was a European expert. Klopp just knows how to navigate to finals in European competitions not just with us but with Dortmund as well.

That statement he made about the final in Istanbul at the end of the match about book your hotels now was a not made lightly - he's going to have our squad primed to go all the way again. 

Jurgen said to me you know, best book your hotels now you know he said so. 

Still feeling deflated. I was worried about Real to begin with but we could and should have beaten them. Our finishing was piss poor. Courtois made some good saves but when you have the number of chances we had, it's so disappointing to not put at least one away. This Real team has come to the end of its era in my opinion, with all their best players heading to or already in their mid 30s. Won't have a better chance to beat them in a final.

19 hours ago, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Legit claim for Benzema to be interfering with play, Konate stopped coming across to hold the line.

My first impression was it was off, but then I thought they got the other goal wrong (felt Konate played the ball before the deflection off fab)

On 30/05/2022 at 04:30, Colonel Bumcunt said:

Legit claim for Benzema to be interfering with play, Konate stopped coming across to hold the line.

He'd have to risk a tackle, ie penalty to get that ball. How is that not interfering??

On 29/05/2022 at 14:34, Aventus said:

20220529_223304.jpg

Well I didn't see that watching in at the time, nor on any of the replays immediately after.

I don't think they were ever putting their flag up there but not looking at that with VAR is pretty ridiculous. Probably would've taken them the rest of the half to figure it out though.

Seeing the gif a few posts up back, Trent is very close to playing Vinicius offside as well. It was just shit luck all around, some of course influenced by ourselves - Trent losing track of Vini one way or the other, VVD and/or Fab not blocking the shot. Some out of our control - A really really shit shot going directly to their player who's marginally onside after narrowly missing their clearly offside player who the officials choose to ignore completely.

When you consider how many of our own had some shit shots themselves only for them to go miles wide, high, and or not end up directly to our player on the right side of their goalkeeper you just gotta chalk it up to universal bullshit or something.

• Upvote 1