You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Real Madrid (N) - Champions League Final, Sat 28th May 2022 (8:00pm)

Trumo

Just now, rubble-rouser said:

I’ve just watched the highlights and it doesn’t get any better. On the one hand we didn’t really turn up. On the other we battered them.

First half we should’ve been 3 up. It was only due to courtois & poor finishing we weren’t.  I know we have a very talented front line but I do think we’re missing a Robbie Fowler type. 
Hopefully Jurgen sees this too and rectified this in the summer, along with a midfielder or two. 

32 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Agree to some extent but ultimately finals are about winning and not performances. Ancelotti is clearly very good at winning so he deserves a lot of credit. Although he does owe his keeper a lot for that win.

That’s spot on.

At my mates this morning and he’s got the Sunday Times on the counter open on the player ratings. 

looked at ours, pretty much all 7/10, Allison 6 with not much to do and nothing he could do against the goal.

looked at theirs, pretty much all 7/10, apart from courtois who was 9.

he was the difference. They rode their luck, we didn’t, they nicked it, we didn’t.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I know Courtois had a good game, but we made it easy for him. How many of his saves bounced off his wrist or bicep? He couldn't have known much about them, just made himself big and blocked the ball. 

Fine margins, but if one of those shots sneak in then we have a completely different game of football on our hands. 

9 hours ago, Baltar said:

We deserved to win that. But to not take a single one of those chances we created was a huge failure on our part. Despite the volume of goals we score, we don't have a ruthless finisher in this team. A prime Torres, Owen, Fowler, Suarez etc. would have banged in a few today. With Mane leaving I would love us to go out and sign Lewandowski.

I feel (possibly unfairly) that we were a clinical striker away from winning the lot. There are far too many games that we're dominating, but the opposition are still in the game; we rarely put teams to the sword, despite the chances.

Even in 3 Cup Finals, the chances have been there - not one put away. In the tight games v good opposition, you have to take your chances when they come. These games are all about fine margins......

We've had a great run, but at the moment it feels a bit deflating; so close to the impossible.....

Speaking after the game, Ancelotti claimed Liverpool were easier to beat than City were in the previous round, and he explained the tactical differences between the top two Premier League sides.

“Looking back, people said 'oh PSG were unlucky, Chelsea were unlucky, Manchester City were unlucky'," he explained.

"This was practically the only game where people thought we were more or less on the same level. I think it helped that Liverpool were easier to decipher than the others because they have a very clear identity and we could prepare the way that we did.

“We knew what strategy to take, don’t give them space behind the defence to run into. Perhaps our football wasn’t extraordinarily beautiful tonight on an aesthetic level, but playing out from the back to incentivise their pressing wasn’t a great idea.

“We had a few more long balls, then when their press in our half of the pitch lessened, we got to control the ball more especially in the second half.”

what he has basically said there is that we don't have a plan B. Something for Klopp and coaching staff to ponder over the summer....

Bloos setting off the fireworks after the match, cunts. 

The boys were unlucky with the oppo goalie having the game of his life. 

We need someone who can stick the ball in the net. 

The boys will be feeling down today so let's give them a heroes welcome today, I definitely will be. 

3 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

You’re a fucking moron. I see moronic posts on here, check the poster and way more often than not, it’s you. 

that’s a truth you can take away with you.

Go and beg for negs you fucking divvy 

We need a quality midfielder so we don't have to rely on fucking Naby. We also need to stop being held to ransom by Mo and his inability to get the ball onto his one foot. Fuck him off and fuck anyone else off who's ego has outgrown their ability to perform. I'm fucking sick of non-performing "legends". If you can't do your job, fuck off. 

We should have gone down in history thus season but our inability to finish in the first half last night cost us number 7. And our inability to beat spurs, fucking spurs, at home cost us the league. Fucking useless. 

We've won two domestic trophies on penalty shootouts. Why? Because our forwards couldn't fucking score. 

15 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Speaking after the game, Ancelotti claimed Liverpool were easier to beat than City were in the previous round, and he explained the tactical differences between the top two Premier League sides.

“Looking back, people said 'oh PSG were unlucky, Chelsea were unlucky, Manchester City were unlucky'," he explained.

"This was practically the only game where people thought we were more or less on the same level. I think it helped that Liverpool were easier to decipher than the others because they have a very clear identity and we could prepare the way that we did.

“We knew what strategy to take, don’t give them space behind the defence to run into. Perhaps our football wasn’t extraordinarily beautiful tonight on an aesthetic level, but playing out from the back to incentivise their pressing wasn’t a great idea.

“We had a few more long balls, then when their press in our half of the pitch lessened, we got to control the ball more especially in the second half.”

what he has basically said there is that we don't have a plan B. Something for Klopp and coaching staff to ponder over the summer....

He’s right, unfortunately. Firmino gave us a fluency and unpredictability up front that had been lacking prior to his arrival - I doubt I was the only person who wondered pre-game if he’d be worth a start with Diaz on the bench, but you really can’t blame Klopp for going with what has worked really well since January. Just one of those frustrating ‘what might have been’ scenarios.

Either way, it’s important we figure this out and win one of the big two next season. 23/24 at the absolute latest, or we risk becoming latter day Arsenal under Wenger.

10 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

His tactical masterplan relied on Robertson doing his idiotic headless chicken routine chassing a ball on his tod into the Madrid half that he was never going to win against the one player on the planet who you can't press and a pass that was actually a shot with the recipient of said pass being a whisker onside.  Oh and those upfront missing chance after chance.  Jammy Italian cunt more than anything.

• Upvote 4

Just now, Butch said:

Bloos setting off the fireworks after the match, cunts. 

… 

These are people masquerading as being overjoyed. Deep down they are not really happy with their lot. The bitterness is consuming them and they know it. 

be happy with the footy served up to us this season. Set your internal filters to ignore this stuff on social media, but soak up the positive comments. Drink them in. 

Shoulders back. Chest out. 

• Upvote 6

Just now, Redder Lurtz said:

Is ancelotti daring to suggest that stopping Mo from getting his left foot on the ball inside the area will nullify most of our goal threats? 

He's only saying what he all know.  His best effort last night was on his right foot.  It's like he's lost all confidence in using the thing at times.

1 minute ago, Jennings said:

These are people masquerading as being overjoyed. Deep down they are not really happy with their lot. The bitterness is consuming them and they know it. 

be happy with the footy served up to us this season. Set your internal filters to ignore this stuff on social media, but soak up the positive comments. Drink them in. 

Shoulders back. Chest out. 

I've spent the last 30 minutes systematically deleting pretty much every leeds supporting cunt from fb. They're basically Yorkshire evertonians. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, J-V said:

He's only saying what he all know.  His best effort last night was on his right foot.  It's like he's lost all confidence in using the thing at times.

Yep. But still, let him run his contract down and fuck off for nowt whilst we all sing his name and beg him to sign a 400 grand a week contract eh? I'm fucking sick of it. 

3 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

Yep. But still, let him run his contract down and fuck off for nowt whilst we all sing his name and beg him to sign a 400 grand a week contract eh? I'm fucking sick of it. 

I'm with you I said it months ago.  I would not want us to pay any fucker £400k a week let alone a 30 year old.  He's the shittest negotiator on the planet given how his performed for months. Seeing as we don't have tonnes of money he should be sold though with Mbappe staying at PSG fuck know swho'd pay us the figure we'd want.

1 minute ago, J-V said:

I'm with you I said it months ago.  I would not want us to pay any fucker £400k a week let alone a 30 year old.  He's the shittest negotiator on the planet given how his performed for months. Seeing as we don't have tonnes of money he should be sold though with Mbappe staying at PSG fuck know swho'd pay us the figure we'd want.

He'll be planning to go for fuck all next year so I'd take 20 mil for him right now. 

3 minutes ago, Redder Lurtz said:

He'll be planning to go for fuck all next year so I'd take 20 mil for him right now. 

I'd let him go on a free if that was the kind of money we'd get.  We probably can't replace his output if he remembers how to play football as it is let alone for £20m

5 hours ago, CapeRed said:

Blew the league because you just know Origi would have scored? Behave , take away 1 pen awarded to city against Wolves , add one pen for us v Spurs and then award the bitters a clear pen against City and the Spurs game at Anfield  becomes meaningless. Madrid took their one chance and we did not get the rub of the green with ours. We played every possible game you can in a season won 2 trophies and came pretty close to another one or 2. By my reckoning that is not too bad.

Just block him. He's clearly a dickhead or maybe after things calm down he'll see sense.

In finals it comes down to small margins and luck. I expected us to score when we got a bit of a lift in energy and directness when Keita came on but then we kept losing possession in the last 10 mins and we didn't have much left from then on.

I'm happy we had control and played the better game and we can only improve and fix certain issues like our play in the box itself and we'll win these tight games against the top sides.

I said if we play as we can, we win.

Although we had a good first half and pretty much even second half possession wise, we didn't play as we can and we lost.

There didn't seem to be the snap to our play from a couple of seasons ago, the passing wasn't as crisp or accurate as we've known.

Now that might be because of accumulated tiredness, it might be because of the players just getting older and coming just off the peak of 2019, or a combination of both, plus their keeper has all the luck and not our forwards.

Regardless, once we got to half time and hadn't scored I was worried that they would probably nick one because they're good enough and, sadly, that proved to be the case and in the manner many would've feared it, with Vinicius Jnr finding himself pretty much unmarked at the far post converting a cross/shot (whichever doesn't matter).

That we had 20+ shots and 9 on target and still didn't score is something we should be looking at, because against most teams, we'd have scored 2 or 3 as they wouldn't have been technically or tactically as astute as Madrid, and specifically Ancellotti, were last night.

Its too early to really pick the bones over the season just gone at the moment, but I think most of us believe we need changes, as the flying machine we've seen over recent seasons has become a little stunted towards the end of the season and as has been mentioned by many, not beating the three teams up with us in the league and not scoring in three finals is cause for concern.

I've no doubt Jurgen and the staff will have been working on it already and we'll see in the coming weeks exactly what changes, if any, are made.

Its been a disappointing end to a great season and we shouldn't let the efforts of the team go unheralded, they've done us proud in the main and I for one am grateful for their achievements.

10 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

I think I'd have rather lost this game to City.

i think we would have beaten City. The weight of being favourites seemed to drag us down a bit.

Maybe it was the delayed kick off but I though we would blow them away early.

Football makes fools of us all. Had Thiago not played, many of us would be pointing to that as the reason our midfield lacked technical ability.

When up against a stubborn defence, especially at 1-0 down Im not sure why we continued recycling the ball into the channels and attempting lofted crosses that required 2 touches just to get the ball under control. id like to have seen us change it and go compact down the middle, playing it in straight lines forward- we have the players to create chances or draw fouls.

(check me out giving it the big tactic expert)