You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Real Madrid (N) - Champions League Final, Sat 28th May 2022 (8:00pm)

Trumo

5 hours ago, Carra_is_legend said:

May be I should have written my previous post more carefully and with clarity.

I was not trying to criticize this team in any shape or form.

What I was trying to say is that the history books will say that Klopp and his  team was great but not truly great considering the titles and European finals we have lost. Which is why something has to change - either refresh the squad or change the way we play in finals, I don't know.

Good reply, and my rep guns loaded so you get some green.

5 hours ago, Red74 said:

Hahahahhaha. Nothing more embarrassing than seeing grown men begging for negs on here. Saying we won the vast majority of our league games is as bad as the the cranks back in the day who used to say we’d have won the league if we’d have started in January. We threw the towel in tonight when they scored and blew the league throwing a shithouse midget midfielder on with 5 minutes to go against spurs while keeping a forward renowned for scoring late winners on the bench.

You’re a fucking moron. I see moronic posts on here, check the poster and way more often than not, it’s you. 

that’s a truth you can take away with you.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

What a shit end to the season. Lost the league with 15 minutes to go of it and lost the european cup final against a team that had 1 shot and scored. 

Yes the domestic cup double is great but both won on Pens and 3 finals with 0 goals scored.

Last night was the biggest disappointment for me under the all the time Klopp has been here. 

2018 was a disaster of a final for obvious reasons, however the 2018 Madrid team were back to back european champions. 

This Madrid team are fucking shite in comparison and we are the much better team. We snatched defeat from the jaws of victory last night and the fact we shit the bed is the biggest disappointment for me. 

Trent absolutely stunk the place out. Was guilty for not tracking his man for their goal, and his distribution was awful all night. 

Mo was utter shite and for all his talk in the build up to the game he,was nowhere to be seen and was a one trick pony with his cut inside and shoot on the rare occasion he beat his man. 

Jota has been piss poor as well the second half of the season and looks more like the Jota at Wolves than the goal machine he has been. 

As for Keita the less said about him the better. What an absolute waste of time and money he has been. I hope Klopp finally gets rid of him. 

If Mo and Sadio want to leave then lets get some money for them and refresh the front line. I have total faith that Klopp will replace them as we cant have this will they wont they sign a new deal next season. 

Its been a great effort by the lads this season and I'm made up we finally won the FA cup but that last night was totally inexcusable.

Absolutely gutted and last night was just a massive kick on the bollocks considering what happened last Sunday. 

Its time for a refresh of the squad in the summer and I'd happily have Harry Kane in the team next season if the rumours are true. The mans a goal machine and creator. Kane through the middle with Mo, sadio or Diaz would do me. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The dust has kind of settled in Bossy towers and though I’m still disappointed, all is ok really. What a season that’s been, the most stressful and enjoyable I can remember, and I have a lot of footy memories, being an old get. I’m looking forward to a break from it all and  hope Klopp recharges, dreams it all up again and next season is another enjoyable romp, but far less stressful. What a fucking ride. YNWA

• Like 1
  • Upvote 9

I said a while back I’d have Taki on ahead of Jota if we needed a goal, and I stand by that this morning. Jota has been poor for months now. It seems odd to not play a bloke who seems to score every time he plays instead of a fella who can’t hit a barn door at the moment. 

• Upvote 1

in all honesty it was just a few games too many in the end.

as fun as it was winning the other two finals, the total accumulation of game after game after game caught up with the players in the end. 

the last few games we picked up injuries and lets call a spade a spade, neither of those players shone brightly last night. Van Dijk was fine, but Thiago was definitely off the pace and Fabinho not much better. 

Salah has been running on empty since the afcon, Mane, up until last night was exceptional, but the tap had run dry, he's only human. 

I definitely think we need a young hungry midfielder, who that is, fucked if i know, and a prolific central striker wouldnt go a miss. 

i know there's some chatter around Kane at the minute, persnally, id love that to happen, but i cant see FSG coughing up the funds for a 29 year old with questionable ankles.....but say what you want, that guy would score bags of goals in this team. 

hopefully next year we'll learn our lessons and quite frankly play the under 9's in both the league and fa cups, there's no need for the first team to be playing them cups, they're not the league nor champions league.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

The baileys helped me get through that one without feeling too bad, the shitty feeling crept in as the hours passed though and it doesn't feel good today. When I think back to it their keeper made some great saves and changed the game, it could've been way different if Sadio had scored earlier on. I thought Valverde looked like a good player too and had a decent game. Not sure what the fuck happened to us though and Trent was out of it for their goal.

I've never liked Real Madrid but I'd way rather this feeling than the one I'd have had of that fucking oil club had got to the final and beat us instead. Hopefully we're back at it next season and doing well again, with some good signings to change things around a bit.

It was probably one big game too many and we didn’t have the energy to come back after going behind again. Madrid got away with not conceding when we we’re on top and probably knew that fatigue would set it and drew confidence from that.

We were the victims of our own success after taking the previous finals to pens (after being the better side) and taking City to the last day. We could easily be sitting here as quadruple winners but it wasn’t meant to be.

What a team. Thanks for an amazing season. And fuck jealous rival fans, we’ll be there again next season. Up the mighty reds.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Carra_is_legend said:

My point is we shouldn't be wondering. He must be fucking demanding now. We have some dead wood, shift those for whatever we can and spend money to improve the quality. He has made lots of money for FSG , it's time now to spend some of that.

We won't get any trophies for underspending.

Dead wood is very harsh.

Our 2nd 11 for the game tonight was:

Kelleher

Milner Matip Gomez Tsimikas 

Elliott Kones Keita

Minamino Firmino Jota

with Ox also and Origi unavailable.

Every squad/team an be improved upon and this one could do with a bit of freshening up, but the 11 above could quite easily be the best 2nd eleven in the history of club football. 

• Upvote 1

The way to view this season is that it capped off a strange fucking era. Empty grounds, isolation for players.

But we've got new players who've come in, new signings already and Klopp is staying another four years, which is the best news we could have got.

Others may move on but it'd be exciting to see who comes in and how that changes the way we play. All great managers and all great teams have to go through this process.

I remember buzzing when Cantona retired thinking that was the end for the Mancs. Erm...

Last night was hard but I'm far less gutted than I have been in the past due to the circumstances. It was just 'one of those games'.

This is the start of Klopp's Liverpool - Part 2. It's gonna be great.

• Upvote 2

Ancelotti got his defensive tactics spot on. Mo had what we see every week now to deal with. Both the inside and outside covered each time he had the ball and the keepers position for corners will be copied by everyone as well. 

10 minutes ago, Einch said:

Ancelotti got his defensive tactics spot on. Mo had what we see every week now to deal with. Both the inside and outside covered each time he had the ball and the keepers position for corners will be copied by everyone as well. 

When you read back that first line it shows how far we've come.

Did you ever imagine during the Hodgson era that one day we'd go into the Champions League final against Madrid and have them set up like Wilbledon because they were scared of getting a hiding?

• Upvote 4

1 minute ago, Section_31 said:

When you read back that first line it shows how far we've come.

Did you ever imagine during the Hodgson era that one day we'd go into the Champions League final against Madrid and have them set up like Wilbledon because they were scared of getting a hiding?

Agree to some extent but ultimately finals are about winning and not performances. Ancelotti is clearly very good at winning so he deserves a lot of credit. Although he does owe his keeper a lot for that win.

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Agree to some extent but ultimately finals are about winning and not performances. Ancelotti is clearly very good at winning so he deserves a lot of credit. Although he does owe his keeper a lot for that win.

Normally I'd agree in part but the Madrid/Barca axis are a special case.

They view themselves as footballing royalty and their media and sections of Spanish culture are built around them being superior and some sort of custodians of the beautiful game.

I've lost track of how many times Spanish journos have pilloried other clubs, including us, for having the temerity to play defensive footy against them.

The fact they were set up like Stoke, and nobody has batted an eyelid says a lot about what they feared might happen.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

They view themselves as footballing royalty and their media and sections of Spanish culture are built around them being superior and some sort of custodians of the beautiful game.

I've lost track of how many times Spanish journos have pilloried other clubs, including us, for having the temerity to play defensive footy against them.

The fact they were set up like Stoke, and nobody has batted an eyelid says a lot about what they feared might happen.

I am not disagreeing with this either, it was a shit on a stick yesterday from them but that is all they needed to do.

6 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Basically Burnley just won the European cup. They were terrified of a game of football actually breaking out

10 minutes ago, rubble-rouser said:

Basically Burnley just won the European cup. They were terrified of a game of football actually breaking out

100% agreed.

at times they had 10 men behind the ball. Makes me wonder if Ancelotti is as good as he’s made out to be really.  

Just now, Pete said:

100% agreed.

at times they had 10 men behind the ball. Makes me wonder if Ancelotti is as good as he’s made out to be really.  

I’ve just watched the highlights and it doesn’t get any better. On the one hand we didn’t really turn up. On the other we battered them.

11 hours ago, KingLuis said:

Salah is a one trick poney. Cut inside and shoot. When defenders figure him out he is useless.

His goal drought is no coincidence at all.

11 hours ago, Strontium said:

Sorry to say but we're flat-track bullies. 

Chin up lads and lasses

This has been an amazing season. One of the best I have seen in the 45 years of watching us. So proud of what we have done. Some of the best footy I have seen us play. 

Looking forward to next season already. 

• Upvote 1