You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Real Madrid (N) - Champions League Final, Sat 28th May 2022 (8:00pm)

Trumo

Absolutely gutted and fuming at that result. Just how did we lose that? It falls in the one game too many and the team that just doesnt know when it is beat, finally ran out of effort and guile to get over the line one more time.

They, Real, had 3 chances, scored 2 but only 1 was legit. If Benezma's 'goal' had been scored in the PL, Atkinson, Taylor, Mariner, Tierney and Friend etc would have allowed it no matter what Walton says. I was amazed but relieved when they did disallow it though even if they took a ridiculous amount of time over it. I lost count how many really good opportunies we had and wasted in that game.

Nobs at BT saying we 'only' had a good 40 minutes to show but Real deserved it because they knocked out city, chelsea etc? Yeah ok, only even with my myopic view we virtually bossed the game and, had the lion's share of the chances. Alli had fuck all to do compared to Courtios who must have back ache for all the saves he had to make.

I didnt want to get beat by city in the final but to be honest, this is just as bad getting beat by that bunch of cunts from Madrid. They've had as many back handers from the Spanish state as city have from their backers and are as arrogant as fuck. It makes me laugh when I see other fans claim they're glad we lost because 'we're so entitled'! They tap up players from other clubs. I fucking despise them as much as I do city, united and chelsea.

Trent's defending on the actual goal was very poor. Blame Robbo just over the halfway line in Real's half for being sold a dummy by Modric if you wish but the ball then travels to the other side of the pitch. Look where Trent is deep in our half. He's tracking Benzema who is Konate's man while Vinicus is drifting in from wide unmarked. Too late Trent leaves Benzema to Konate and is miles from Vinicus when he bundles the ball in. Overall, I dont think had a bad game but I dont think he had a good one either.

We could still be playing now and still wouldnt have scored for various reasons. Courtios picks tonight of all nights to have a worldie, official MoTM, wasnt he? Says everything.

But our finishing generally wasnt top notch. It's hard saying that when really, on another night Mo's first half shot goes in as does Sadio's. But let's be honest, lots of the other attempts were poor. Fabinho, Trent, Keita all had great opportunities but skied their chances from 18 yards. Professional footballers and they're hitting the ball either 8 yards wide of the goal or over the crossbar. Give me a break.

Was surprised at Konate's selection ahead of Matip but must admit the boy didnt put a foot wrong. Diaz just couldnt seem to get the beating of the Real defenders tonight but gave his all.

Unpopular as it might be, Id drive Sadio to Munich tomorrow. Has he told everyone the beautiful thing that he said he would yet? Apart from a great shot, I thought he just strolled around the pitch most of the game. And to think that was a CL Final.

Mo tried hard and looked livelier but really his form has been on a par with his last 10 or 12 games. Is his agent giving it the crying with laughter emojis tonight?

Keita, dont get me started. I try not to call any of our players shit but Keita pushes me to the wire. I honestly never want to see the lad wearing our shirt again. Bang in front of goal and what does he do? Only shoots with the outside of his foot and sends the ball closer to the corner flag than the goal. This stuff is really basic stuff for a pro footballer but some of them always have to go for the fancy drive so when it comes off, they look great. Well, Naby, you looked a right twat when that chance went miles wide, didnt you?

What a sad end to a season of such promise. Just over a week ago, we could smell a Premier League and Champions League title. Both of those gone, snatched away in cruel fashion.

The big 2 trophies I wanted have gone for another year. Next year will be even harder as the season will be split in two due to the ludicrous winter World Cup.

Nice of UEFA to tar our fans as the reason for the French Police to tear fas them and use them as the excuse to delay the kick off. You only have to look at the comments in the Echo and elsewhere from mancs, everton, chelsea and other fans to see the gobshites launch their vitriol at us despite loads of British newspaper columinists laying the blame at UEFA and the French Police.

Football is a beautiful game and sometimes, it can be a real bitch, smacking you in the head, mouth, guts, knackers and shins all at the same time. Tonight feels like ones of those times.

• Upvote 8

9 minutes ago, Saintslfc13 said:

I think that’s a very rational assessment but most of us on here are at least half pissed and don’t want to talk about rationality at the moment. The fact we had Real Madrid playing like a Serie A side speaks volumes to where we’ve come from where we were before Klopp got here. It’s a shit result, we’re all gutted, but perspective is we’re on the cusp. As far as I see it. Last time we lost one of these we walked the league with an unprecedented break in it. Next season we have a break in the league. Let’s go on and walk it again. 

Yep. Madrid talked a good game beforehand, but I don't think they can believe how well that went for them. Talk about riding your luck.

9 minutes ago, ZonkoVille77 said:

Klopp got school'd yet again by Carlo.

That's unfair really. Just about everyone plays that way against us now - doesn't take a tactical genius to figure out that when playing against Liverpool you sit deep and play on the counter. Just about every Premier League team knows that.

And if luck had been on our side we'd have won the game.

• Upvote 1

We played really well, we were the dominant side for probably 70 minutes, created real chances and played on the front foot, bossing that game.

But we just couldn't get the ball over the line. Courtois had a worldie.

I still think Vinicius was slightly offside for the goal and cannot believe that VAR didn't take a look and that more wasn't made of that by the commentary team.

We should hold our heads up though, bowed but unbroken, and we will go again.

Sometimes a team's name is written on the cup, and so it was tonight with Real, but truthfully, I could not be any more proud of our boys. Such a great set of lads and such a great team. We going toe to toe with state funded super-clubs and we win far more than our fair share considering those circumstances.

One final note, if Mo or Sadio do decide to leave this summer then we should let them, recoup as much as we possibly can for them and trust Jürgen to reinvest in exciting young attacking players who'll drive us on and (hopefully) become Liverpool legends in their own right.

As much as Ive ever been, tonight I am proud to be a Red. What am incredible season, what an incredible team.

YNWA

• Upvote 11

3 minutes ago, M_B said:

That's unfair really. Just about everyone plays that way against us now - doesn't take a tactical genius to figure out that when playing against Liverpool you sit deep and play on the counter. Just about every Premier League team knows that.

And if luck had been on our side we'd have won the game.

But why can’t we work out how to beat this? 

• Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, Carvalho Diablo said:

We played really well, we were the dominant side for probably 70 minutes, created real chances and played on the front foot, bossing that game.

But we just couldn't get the ball over the line. Courtois had a worldie.

I still think Vinicius was slightly offside for the goal and cannot believe that VAR didn't take a look and that more wasn't made of that by the commentary team.

We should hold our heads up though, bowed but unbroken, and we will go again.

Sometimes a team's name is written on the cup, and so it was tonight with Real, but truthfully, I could not be any more proud of our boys. Such a great set of lads and such a great team. We going toe to toe with state funded super-clubs and we win far more than our fair share considering those circumstances.

One final note, if Mo or Sadio do decide to leave this summer then we should let them, recoup as much as we possibly can for them and trust Jürgen to reinvest in exciting young attacking players who'll drive us on and (hopefully) become Liverpool legends in their own right.

As much as Ive ever been, tonight I am proud to be a Red. What am incredible season, what an incredible team.

YNWA

Well said, you slop filled, shit bowled fucker.

6 minutes ago, M_B said:

92 points and 3 cup finals suggests we generally do.

Big deal. We lost again when we had it in our favour tonight. They were there for the taking tonight and didn’t even try to win. This can’t be classed as a great team when we keep missing out like tonight. Great teams get over the challenges put up against them when it counts and we accept being the plucky runners up instead.

Just now, Red74 said:

Big deal. We lost again when we had it in our favour tonight. They were there for the taking tonight and didn’t even try to win. This can’t be classed as a great team when we keep missing out like tonight. Great teams get over the challenges put up against them when it counts and we accept being the plucky runners up instead.

You're hurting which is fair enough, but football isn't about the best team winning.

And you're being dishonest. Of course we tried to win. If we'd had a bit of luck, we'd have won and you'd be saying the opposite.

We've won two trophies and been in contention for 2 more. That is a sign of a great team.

We deserved to win that. But to not take a single one of those chances we created was a huge failure on our part. Despite the volume of goals we score, we don't have a ruthless finisher in this team. A prime Torres, Owen, Fowler, Suarez etc. would have banged in a few today. With Mane leaving I would love us to go out and sign Lewendowski.

9 minutes ago, Red74 said:

We're comparing doing generally very well over whole seasons to not winning one off finals. It's not really like for like. Getting to finals is the hard part, after it's just the matter of winning one game. It takes different skills.

Klopp does seem to have difficulty in finals, probably because he's maybe not pragmatic enough. But it's hard to change when you're him and you have such success and belief in what you're doing.

When you have people like Mourinho, who wins every final, and you have Klopp who has had trouble in a lot of them, and they’re two of the best managers ever, it shows there's a skill in it that is different. 

It is hard to change just for finals having played 60+ games prior to that and losing only 3. But something must change - this is the 3rd European final we have lost out of 4 in the last 6 years. Not to  mention the 2 titles we lost so closely.

This team is brilliant but right now they are unfortunately "nearly" men.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

We're comparing doing generally very well over whole seasons to not winning one off finals. It's not really like for like. Getting to finals is the hard part, after it's just the matter of winning one game. It takes different skills.

Klopp does seem to have difficulty in finals, probably because he's maybe not pragmatic enough. But it's hard to change when you're him and you have such success and belief in what you're doing.

When you have people like Mourinho, who wins every final, and you have Klopp who has had trouble in a lot of them, and they’re two of the best managers ever, it shows there's a skill in it that is different. 

He did win 2 other finals this season though, plus the champions league final before this one. It's not like we're hopeless in every final we play. Small margins were involved in determining all 3 finals this season, which is what you'd generally expect in finals. We got some luck in the 2 domestic finals. We got absolutely none tonight. 

24 minutes ago, Red74 said:

I want it on record that I tried to neg this but couldn’t. This team doesn’t “keep missing out” you blert. We won 2 out of 3 extremely close cup finals. We won the vast majority of our games in the league. 

13 minutes ago, Carra_is_legend said:

It is hard to change just for finals having played 60+ games prior to that and losing only 3. But something must change - this is the 3rd European final we have lost out of 4 in the last 6 years. Not to  mention the 2 titles we lost so closely.

This team is brilliant but right now they are unfortunately "nearly" men.

This also would’ve got a neg if i wasn’t empty.

This team hasn’t lost 3 of 4 European finals. It’s won one and lost one.

that team Klopp inherited and took to the uefa cup final was nothing like this team.

the one that lost to Madrid previously was on its way to being this team, but when you look at the team, especially the bench, it was nowhere near.

12 minutes ago, mike23 said:

He did win 2 other finals this season though, plus the champions league final before this one. It's not like we're hopeless in every final we play. Small margins were involved in determining all 3 finals this season, which is what you'd generally expect in finals. We got some luck in the 2 domestic finals. We got absolutely none tonight. 

We've gotten to enough finals under Klopp where the law of averages made it so we faced a team in Spurs that wasn't really Champions League final material and we win two pen shootouts. That's why the most important thing is getting there, because the more chances you get, the likelier you'll win some, and we've had lots of chances under Klopp, but at this point, I don't really think it's debatable, Klopp has problems in finals.

That's fine, no one is perfect. No one is better at building a long term project, but there's no debate about what happens in finals.

9 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

This also would’ve got a neg if i wasn’t empty.

This team hasn’t lost 3 of 4 European finals. It’s won one and lost one.

that team Klopp inherited and took to the uefa cup final was nothing like this team.

the one that lost to Madrid previously was on its way to being this team, but when you look at the team, especially the bench, it was nowhere near.

May be I should have written my previous post more carefully and with clarity.

I was not trying to criticize this team in any shape or form.

What I was trying to say is that the history books will say that Klopp and his  team was great but not truly great considering the titles and European finals we have lost. Which is why something has to change - either refresh the squad or change the way we play in finals, I don't know.

• Upvote 1