You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Real Madrid (N) - Champions League Final, Sat 28th May 2022 (8:00pm)

Trumo

12 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

How do you guys think Madrid will apprehend this? We've been conceding early a lot recently. Maybe they press us high in the beginning and then they go conservative for the rest of the game...

It's really hard to say. The point was made that Madrid played three ties - PSG, Chelsea and City - and arguably weren't the better side in any of the six halves of football, yet continued to progress. When pressed, they were second best, but Benzema's finishing was clinical.

I wouldn't be shocked to see them sit off early, allow a pattern of play where our fullbacks are high, then switch to overloads out wide. Ancelotti had our number better than most at Napoli.

As much as we worry about Vinicius tearing up the space behind Trent, Madrid will have a similar problem with Carvajal against Diaz.

That's a lot of words to say I've no idea.

38 minutes ago, Babb'sBurstNad said:

It's really hard to say. The point was made that Madrid played three ties - PSG, Chelsea and City - and arguably weren't the better side in any of the six halves of football, yet continued to progress. When pressed, they were second best, but Benzema's finishing was clinical.

I wouldn't be shocked to see them sit off early, allow a pattern of play where our fullbacks are high, then switch to overloads out wide. Ancelotti had our number better than most at Napoli.

As much as we worry about Vinicius tearing up the space behind Trent, Madrid will have a similar problem with Carvajal against Diaz.

That's a lot of words to say I've no idea.

Yeah, usually in these massive games and finals with two top teams, you can try to predict how the game will go and it's impossible because both teams have the quality and know-how to do anything and play in any style. And those games are always tighter than we think.

I could see them pressing us really high for periods. I could see them looking at Inter away, Man City away in the league and thinking; "yeah, these aren't that press resistant". But then you think, well the obvious thing is they'll try to find the space on the right side of our defense and they'll try to bend not break and counter. Hard to say. We'll probably see it all. 

6 minutes ago, bizzle10 said:

They were 2nd best for large parts against PSG,Chelsea and City and yet managed to knock those teams so we are the better team but they seem to know how to win so to summarise I haven’t got a clue what will happen tomorrow 

I think we're better than them and *should* win, especially if Fabinho and Thiago are fully fit, but sometimes circumstances make it so the better team doesn't win. 

Courtois could have a stormer, he has been truly excellent this season. Benzema or someone else could score a goal that is impossible to defend. We could be tired from all the games, they could be fresher from having 5 subs all season in all comps. Fabinho and Thiago could be compromised. You just don't know.

16 minutes ago, TD_LFC said:

When was the last relatively stress free final we had that wasn't a grind or needed a moment of magic to get through?

Spurs? I was never worried after the early goal.

1 hour ago, Carra_is_legend said:

Looking back at the 2 finals this season we conceded too many chances I thought. We certainly cannot do that tomorrow. Benzema and Vinicius are much more clinical than Mount and Pulisic. 

Nerves kicking in now good and proper.

Yep, and in all the games Vs top 4 this season, we conceded too many.  That was ok when Salah was hitting doubles each game, but it's a bold move to keep playing so open.  

Local footy today, on the beers there with my brothers. Then to a new micro brewery in town to sample their wares. Then some professional Aussie Rules on tv before burning out nice and early for a big morning ahead. 

COYR

Up at 6am tomorrow morning. Pot of Tea just like my Dad made with the same tea pot, before a game - & a rack of toast.

Can’t be arsed with the bullshit before kickoff so the tv goes on at 7am nz time.

COYR. These aren’t the same team from the last final between us, and we’re stronger. Give ‘em a lesson in football.

Trent deserves our faith as he’s been one of our best players since the beginning of our recent success. Putting that to one side for one moment, an option Klopp could consider to try and neutralise their main outlet Vinicius is by playing Gomez at RB, and Trent ahead of him as a right sided midfielder i.e. the role Hendo normally plays for us. Let him free to roam and create havoc. It won’t happen but in theory it could work. 

3 minutes ago, aRdja said:

I realise Trent deserves our faith as he’s been one of our best players since the beginning of our recent success. Putting that to one side, an option Klopp could consider is to try and neutralise Vinicius is by playing Gomez at RB, and Trent ahead of him as a right sided midfielder i.e. the role Hendo normally plays for us. Let him free to roam and create havoc. 

Would be a bold move trying something out that we've never done before in a champions league final.

2 minutes ago, Aventus said:

Would be a bold move trying something out that we've never done before in a champions league final.

Agreed. It won’t happen, but the below is a situation I’d like us to try and avoid and Gomez has the pace to keep up with Vinicius. 

Vinicius is one of the most consistently dangerous wingers in the world now, he has insane workrate and intensity in his sprints. You can have anybody at right back, and he'll still be dangerous. You have to hope he has one of those games where he looks like he has two left feet, which he still has the tendency to have sometimes.