You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Real Madrid (N) - Champions League Final, Sat 28th May 2022 (8:00pm)

Trumo

I think we have to start Keita if Thiago isn't fit. We have to trust he'll put in a performance. I'm not sure the games against them last year matter very much. 

Milner is a very valuable substitute if we need to close out the game. And as reliable as he is, you don't want him to face a really technically gifted and smart midfield from the get go. He has always had limitations against the very best of opponents. 

I'm assuming Fabinho will start.

30 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

For about the 137th time: Klopp says Fab'll be ready, Pep has said Fab'll be ready, and Fab himself has said he'll be ready!

I couldn't judge his fitness in the post-match walkaround, because I was too busy staring at Rebeca.

As ever, if we play as we can, we win.

A week off will feel like a holiday for some of our players, and hopefully the sports science department will have the energy levels back up to something like normal and the sports psychologists will have them believing they’re fucking Superman.

Was there in 1981, but won’t be this season unless my last iron in the fire comes good for a couple of tickets, but that game wasn’t our best, and we had Dalglish only just fit enough to start, but Barney won it for us, and if Robbo or Tsimikas does it this time,I’ll happily take the same mediocre performance and 1-0.

Allez les Rouges!

• Upvote 4

12 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

As ever, if we play as we can, we win.

A week off will feel like a holiday for some of our players, and hopefully the sports science department will have the energy levels back up to something like normal and the sports psychologists will have them believing they’re fucking Superman.

Was there in 1981, but won’t be this season unless my last iron in the fire comes good for a couple of tickets, but that game wasn’t our best, and we had Dalglish only just fit enough to start, but Barney won it for us, and if Robbo or Tsimikas does it this time,I’ll happily take the same mediocre performance and 1-0.

Allez les Rouges!

It's mad to think that we've won 6 European Cups, but only 2 of the finals (the 25th May ones) were entertaining matches.

2 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

It's mad to think that we've won 6 European Cups, but only 2 of the finals (the 25th May ones) were entertaining matches.

Not sure, AoT, been watching practically ever European Cup final since the early 70's and that's probably about the overall ratio of good to ordinary games.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

I enjoyed 77, 84, 05 enjoyed but not until later. 78 and 81 were not great Spurs was probably the easiest. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, sir roger said:

Not sure, AoT, been watching practically ever European Cup final since the early 70's and that's probably about the overall ratio of good to ordinary games.

Watching us lift the trophy is the entertaining and enjoyable bit.

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, s(k)aturation said:

Watching us lift the trophy is the entertaining and enjoyable bit.

Yes. It's a huge event and the pressure is intense. Probably once the penalty shoot-out was introduced it made exra time, usually, much duller. There are few things more depressing in the big games than when extra time starts and you soon realise that neither team fancies going for the win and you've got half an hour of nothing to get through.

In terms of actual performances, I hate the games where we weren't on top and showing our class, which is why I'm in a tiny minority and have little affection for 2005 - loved the fight back and the result but there was too much about it that made me wince (and still does), and LFC just shouldn't embrace the plucky underdogs mythologies (don't bother arguing about this, I feel as strongly about it as anyone with opposite views feels). But don't think I don't love the fact that we win!

There are lots of variables this time round - can we get at least 45 minutes out of Thiago, how well does Fab fit back in, will Jota and Mo find form, will Keita have one of his good games, will Bobby be effective, etc etc. Real have proven themselves masters of group and two-legged games rather than one-off games, I still don't think some of their older players have really been pushed that hard, and hopefully Jurgen and Pep have learned something from how they've (Madrid) clawed a way back into games.

My hunch is that the game could be won on who makes the best use of the five subs. Ancelotti makes some outstanding tactical moves with his subs late on in games. Klopp has seized on the five sub rule this season better than anyone. 

I suspect Real's hope is that we play like us for the whole game. And our best chance, if we score first, is to play like us for the first hour or so and then play like them. If we're leading, it's them who won't relish the counter attacks with the ball played over their midfield. 

Madrid know how to win big games more than any other team in world football which is proven by their track record.

On paper we are better but it's going to be incredibly tough. We simply cannot let them take the lead. We need some monumental performances particularly from Salah and whoever plays in midfield.

• Upvote 2

16 minutes ago, Elite said:

Madrid know how to win big games more than any other team in world football which is proven by their track record.

On paper we are better but it's going to be incredibly tough. We simply cannot let them take the lead. We need some monumental performances particularly from Salah and whoever plays in midfield.

We need Trent to be awake. That's the key. If sleepy Trent turns up then we could be under pressure from the get-go. I can see long balls all night from Madrid, bypassing midfield for Vini Jr to chase onto. 

Kross and Modric are clearly class players, but we should have the ability in younger legs to press the fuck out of them and give them no time on the ball. 

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Preston Red said:

See these are making noises about Bale and Hazard being included...

Hazard been in training a while. I highly doubt Bale gets any minutes to be honest. 
Alaba back in training. The quandary for them is who partners Militao at centre half.

Nacho or Alaba. Alaba not match fit or match sharp. 
Fancy Sadio to really give whoever they play a torrid time.