You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Oxlade-Chamberlain may see out contract at Liverpool

TLW

6 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The Karius signing was an excellent one in retrospect. It showed how stupid an idea it is to sign bargain basement goalkeepers and expect them to be top players.

True. Signing bargain basement goalkeepers and expecting them to become top players - not so true.

There's a great tradition of doing just that, of course, at LFC.

Karius arrived with lots of positive predictions from very knowledgeable observers and with the possibility of getting better and better for years to come. Question marks really hover over how our transfer team, who normally seem remarkably good at finding not only good talents but also good people, let a self-absorbed thicko through the net.

17 hours ago, gkmacca said:

True. Signing bargain basement goalkeepers and expecting them to become top players - not so true.

There's a great tradition of doing just that, of course, at LFC.

Karius arrived with lots of positive predictions from very knowledgeable observers and with the possibility of getting better and better for years to come. Question marks really hover over how our transfer team, who normally seem remarkably good at finding not only good talents but also good people, let a self-absorbed thicko through the net.

In the current game bargain basement signings are very difficult to guarantee a return on,particularly in such important positions like a goalkeeper.

4 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

Do you think? I'd have thought milner, Elliot and Jones are all ahead of him. He might get minutes if fab and thiago don't make it. 

That was what i was saying.

If Fabinho and Thiago don't make it he is on with a shout.

I'd be surprised if Klopp started Elliott in the European Cup Final - so then it is one of Milner, Jones or Oxlade.

We have to sort midfiled in Summer - we are fucking boss, but middle of park is the one area we can and should be looking to improve.

6 minutes ago, an tha said:

That was what i was saying.

If Fabinho and Thiago don't make it he is on with a shout.

I'd be surprised if Klopp started Elliott in the European Cup Final - so then it is one of Milner, Jones or Oxlade.

We have to sort midfiled in Summer - we are fucking boss, but middle of park is the one area we can and should be looking to improve.

i reckon klopp would have no issues starting elliot in the final - i think he is behind Jones and Milner, but i think he's miles in front of chamberlain in terms of chances to start the game. i wouldn't be shocked though to see chamberlain get minutes considering there's 5 subs and we have a chance 2 of our likely starters will be out injured and another of our midfield is about 120. I just can't see a world where chamberlain starts. maybe it's a world i don't want to see. 

I agree we need something in midfield. in fact it was my opinion we went into this season 1 light. that is partly because chamberlain isn't good enough and partly because thiago, keita and henderson miss a lot of game time. fortunately we have managed henderson well as he's been rested and subbed a lot, so that has helped enormously and keita hasn't missed as much as normal despite afcon. i am not hopeful we will do anything unless chamberlain goes though and it looks like milner will stay. It's time for Jones to step up next season though. He's got enough games behind him now where he needs to be adding the consistency to a level where he's banging on the door to be picked every week - he has again shown flashes this season, but nowhere near enough of them for me. 

i also think from where we sit it is impossible to predict where else will will need to bring players in, because a lot of it depends on the futures of those players. We've the 3 up front who are coming into their last year and I think it is likely we will see a bid from Madrid for one of Mane or Salah (in fact wait for that story to drop on Friday). Then there's been lots of rumours about interest in Kostas and he is going to be a tough lad to keep hold of as he's clearly a talented fella, but he is behind robbo and it is hard to see that changing. And it's a similar story with Gomez - there was a lot of talk a month or two back about him needing to get a move in order to go to the world cup. There will be a lot of pressure on players this summer to make those sorts of moves and I don't think Gomez is an exception, especially as he seems way behind the other 3 CBs

9 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Ironically here,it's Fabinho and Thiago who we've brought in at different periods to upgrade our midfield. Both could now be missing from our most important game in the past couple of seasons.

We've brought others in like Chamberlain and keita, it's just they've had no impact. It feels strange really that after 7 seasons klopp would still be using Henderson and milner in a champions league final midfield.