You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Report: Oxlade-Chamberlain may see out contract at Liverpool

TLW

If Alex Oxlade-Chamberlain is hoping for a fresh start away from Liverpool this summer then that could now be in doubt with the club reportedly weighing up what valuation they put on the midfielder.

The 28 year-old is coming out of contract at the end of next season and with the likes of Mo Salah and Sadio Mane in the same boat, it seems unlikely that his re-signing shapes as a priority.

Additionally to that point is that Oxlade-Chamberlain would be fully aware of the logjam for places in the Liverpool midfield and would be closely assessing what his next step would be.

After making 43 appearances and scoring eight goals in all competitions during the 2019-20 campaign, in the last two seasons combined he has made just 46 appearances despite being fully fit for the last 18 months.

His last appearance this season came in the FA Cup quarter-final clash against Nottingham Forest and despite Jurgen Klopp making a number of changes for the midweek clash against Southampton, Oxlade remained on the bench.

image.png

ESPN reports that Liverpool are prepared to listen to offers for Oxlade-Chamberlain this summer but the club will assess how much interest there is in him before setting a valuation on him.

Oxlade-Chamberlain came to the club in the summer of 2017 from Arsenal for £35 million but it his highly unlikely that the club get close to that figure.

And the club have shown in recent years that they are not afraid to hold on to players for their final year if they do not get the valuation they are after with some examples being Gini Wijnaldum and Adam Lallana.

In a position such as what Oxlade-Chamberlain faces, you weigh up the balance between professional ambition and being part of a successful squad.

Some like Divock Origi have been more than happy to put his own career progression to one side and become the perfect role player for the big moments, but others like Wijnaldum decide to leave despite being a first team regular.

So while there is a chance that Ox may have to see out his final year at the club, he would have to admit that there are far worse places to be. 

View full article

If you look at it like a normal job he works for the best company in the world, probably has free vending machines and regular staff karaoke nights, gets paid a fortune and there’s very little expectation on him doing anything beyond minimum expectations.

Its a dream job for the unambitious where you get to bask in reflective glory.

Plus he’ll get a great reference and great pay for his next job.

I’d like to see him gone as he’s fallen off a cliff and offers little anymore and perhaps another could have are those opportunities and minutes and really utilise them, but if he stays I don’t blame him, it’s a dream job for those who don’t want a job.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

I think it’s make sense for somebody like Villa. He’s a good ld, professional enough, decent player, needs revitalising, and is young enough. 

Good shout. Obviously Stevie G would have to balance wages and injury record but maybe if the transfer fee was low enough a deal could be done.

2 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

If you look at it like a normal job he works for the best company in the world, probably has free vending machines and regular staff karaoke nights, gets paid a fortune and there’s very little expectation on him doing anything beyond minimum expectations.

I’d like to see him gone as he’s fallen off a cliff and offers little anymore and perhaps another could have are those opportunities and minutes and really utilise them, but if he stays I don’t blame him, it’s a dream job for those who don’t want a job.

Absolutely. Imagine being 2nd choice keeper behind a top goalie at one of the oiler clubs, whilst also being unambitious and not pushing to play in the cups. You turn up at 10am for training, rock off home for 3pm. 100k per week. Perfect life.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

Absolutely. Imagine being 2nd choice keeper behind a top goalie at one of the oiler clubs, whilst also being unambitious and not pushing to play in the cups. You turn up at 10am for training, rock off home for 3pm. 100k per week. Perfect life.

Pop star girlfriend, sports cars and mansions for basically kicking a ball around and dicking about with mates for a few hours at ‘work’.

Where did it all go wrong?

3 minutes ago, Bruce Spanner said:

I think your analogy is right, but with a bit of an exception. The thing here though is he's not really getting much reflected glory, players like origi and taki as they've not played so much but had some real moments are getting that. And in a normal job you have a career that lasts too long. This fella is 29 now. He's barely played in 4 years, the supposed peak of his powers. Surely that clock ticking must spark something? 

And I can't imagine klopp would be keen to keep anyone around the place who lacks ambition. 

1 minute ago, Barrington Womble said:

I think your analogy is right, but with a bit of an exception. The thing here though is he's not really getting much reflected glory, players like origi and taki as they've not played so much but had some real moments are getting that. And in a normal job you have a career that lasts too long. This fella is 29 now. He's barely played in 4 years, the supposed peak of his powers. Surely that clock ticking must spark something? 

And I can't imagine klopp would be keen to keep anyone around the place who lacks ambition. 

Maybe the clock ticking has what has, negatively, affected.

He looks at it and thinks he’s ‘done’, gets paid goes home and doesn’t give it a second thought. 

We’ve all worked with people who coast, but get stuff done when needs be, maybe that’s just his personality type?

1 minute ago, Bruce Spanner said:

Maybe the clock ticking has what has, negatively, affected.

He looks at it and thinks he’s ‘done’, gets paid goes home and doesn’t give it a second thought. 

We’ve all worked with people who coast, but get stuff done when needs be, maybe that’s just his personality type?

You could be right. But he's not working at some multinational where you can hide and call it in. He's working in a small group, with a boss who has one of the sharpest minds there is and demands effort and desire. It's not like he just gets to fill his diary up with zoom meetings all day or something. He's having to mix with the very best every minute of every day.

I completely get the idea he knows his best days are behind him. That the injury took away that 1 or 2% that separates the good players from the pack. And leaving Liverpool is a step backwards to an extent (and I say some extent because he doesn't get to play here). But let's be honest, it's not like he's going from being the chief of BA and then being asked to clean the bogs at Ryanair in his next gig. He'll still have his popstar wife, he'll still earn a kings ransom. He'll get to play at a high level. But might actually get a chance to make his mark on the game and get a little enjoyment in return for training all week before it's gone for good. 

The only reason I can think why he'd dial it in is if he knows if he lands somewhere where he's expected to play at the weekend, that his body won't hold up to it. 

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I don't see why he wouldn't want to force a move. He's so down the pecking order. And it seems increasingly likely milner will stay another year and likely stay ahead of him. 

To be fair, Milner puts more of a shift in than many 10 years younger than himself.

Ox has been played so little due to the big players who have come in, and has just lost his mojo.

Good luck to him wherever he goes, he deserves more than sitting on a bench.

11 minutes ago, MOGLET said:

To be fair, Milner puts more of a shift in than many 10 years younger than himself.

Ox has been played so little due to the big players who have come in, and has just lost his mojo.

Good luck to him wherever he goes, he deserves more than sitting on a bench.

I think he actually gets less game time because Jones and Elliot are in front of him, it's not really the big players. Or as we saw this week, if we want to take Salah out and want someone right forward who isn't one of the stars, taki gets the gig. The lad barely even gets on the bench, let alone the pitch. 

I have to admit that I feel sorry for him. 

I was surprised when we signed him but he looked very good with some of his early performances and came across really well in after match interviews. I started to warm to him.

Then came the injury, a serious one that caused him to be out for a long time and he's never been the same player since apart from the odd glimpse maybe.

Whenever he gets on the pitch now he stands out, but not in the way that's required.

Nothing seems to be working for him and his head's dropped as a result.

He must know that he's not going to break into that first 11 and be a regular on the team sheet.

Like I say, I feel sorry for him, but it's time for him to move on.

You watch him come on as a sub in Paris and score the winner.

1 hour ago, Numero Veinticinco said:

This is the absolute peak of his professional career. He’s as good as he’s ever going to get with people thinking he has the potential to do more, but him and us knowing that is not really true.

Job satisfaction+ pay + success + Instagram hits, this is as good it gets.

He was actually quite helpful when Mo and Sadio were away. I hope, beyond the usual agent-planted stories you get at this time, we don't see the squad get slightly smaller rather than slightly bigger this summer. After FSG blew it by not strengthening after the title win, they need to show they've learned their lesson. Even though we reaped the benefits this year from having such a good squad, our midfield problems at certain stages show we still need something more. 

• Upvote 3