You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Southampton 1 Liverpool 2 (May 17 2022)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

The best songwriter / musician of our generation penned a classic called “the more things change the more they stay the same”. Pretty apt whenever Klopp rotates his line up really. Nine changes to the side that started the cup final but this still looked just like Liverpool. 

Not identical of course, we don’t have clones we can bring in when the main players are out. You can’t replicate what Salah, Mané and Diaz do. Or Thiago or Van Dijk. Or Trent. Especially Trent, who is thoroughly unique in world football. So it’s not identical, but individual traits aside the team just played the same way and dominated the game in exactly the same way you’d expect from the first choice line up. 

It’s one of the more incredible aspects of Klopp’s tenure here really, and there are many of them. Imagine just being able to pick whoever you like and still be able to get the result you need. We went on a mad winning run at the back end of last season with Nat Phillips and Rhys Williams at centre back. It’s the Klopp effect. Him and his staff. They’ve instilled this belief in the entire squad and they’re so well coached that everyone knows how to play the role required of them.

I saw the line up and wasn’t worried. It helped that it was more or less what I expected it to be so I wasn’t shocked or concerned by it, but I didn’t look at that team and think we’d be in trouble. I looked at it and was excited at what we might see from a midfield with both Curtis and Harvey in it. I looked at the defence and thought “Southampton aren’t scoring past those lads” and I looked at the forwards and thought there was opportunity for them to get back in the goals. Diogo and Bobby really need a goal, whereas Taki just scores every time he plays.

And if something did go wrong then look at the bench. Granted, we only had three options rather than five, but when you’ve got that kind of talent to call upon you always feel confident. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £3 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic

I don’t know what Atwell’s reasons were but you seriously have to wonder how someone who does this for a living can not award a free-kick for that after seeing all the necessary replay angles. He should be made to explain himself.

I know this would be groundbreaking and previously unheard of but I would write a letter to Mike Riley asking for an explanation and apology.

Don't think any other board would do that.

Watching this above, I didn't realise pies were still a thing at football grounds. They used to be terrible when I visited football stadia. How are they now?

1 minute ago, sir roger said:

Used to be Hollands steak ones at Anfield, and if you bought one before kick off it had usually cooled sufficiently to eat on your way home.

Perfect for keeping you warm in the winter months though. Just pop it in your pocket and be warm all game long. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, sir roger said:

Probably the highlight of any Hodgson era home game.

I thought the highlight of that was when he was sacked and Kenny took the reins? 

• Upvote 2

One of the (many) great things about this season has been seeing our "reserve" line-ups for the cups (and some league games). Everyone and his dog are expecting us to get beat, yet we still play (and win) like Liverpool. No matter how many wins we've got with our weakened line-ups, I'm still genuinely surprised and excited with what I see. Some of these games have been even more pleasing than with our best line-up, for two reasons: 1. There's less feeling of pressure, and you (and those around you) haven't already stipulated a sure-fire win (as one tends to do when we're full strength). 2. The other team fancy their chances a bit and play a lot more open football than if we line up with a full compliment of stars.

Some of these games have also been among the most enjoyable experiences of the season. They also, as Dave states, tells us what a tremendous job is being done by the coaching staff and the fringe players.

PS! The reason Tyler was so excited for Collymore to score was because it meant his beloved Mancs would almost surely win the title.

PS!! Loving that Klopp hung Atkinson (and the VAR team) out to dry with his comments post-match.

• Upvote 3

Mention of Hodgson earlier reminded me of the League Cup tie against Northampton, when we rotated the squad but only had kids to put in and a few them playing out of position. The performance and result were an embarassment. What a difference now!

As for Attwell, he is simply incompetent, I don't think I've ever seen him have a good game. His decision-making is woeful. Yet someone at the top of the English game thinks he's good enough to be a FIFA official......

• dave u unpinned this topic