You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Wolves (H) - Sun 22nd May 2022 (4:00pm)

Trumo

8 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Do you want to feel worse? Watching MOTD last night, I couldn't help but think that Martinez would have done better on City's goals.

I don't think Martinez was in goal. His replacement was completely shit though from what I hear.

8 minutes ago, AngryOfTuebrook said:

Do you want to feel worse? Watching MOTD last night, I couldn't help but think that Martinez would have done better on City's goals.

I didn’t watch MOTD but decided to watch their goals on my phone this morning before I got up just to see if that might be the case, and to be honest I came away satisfied that it wasn’t a massive issue.

full back (cash?) needs to do better for their first, second was a really good finish on seeing the replay and was through a crowd too, and third was a typical city goal after a shite touch/clearance by Mings.

I thought one of the defenders should have slid in to clear that last one, but it was a great ball across and probably is an oggie if they try.

They would have just gone up another gear and created another dozen of those back post tap in chances.

Nobody outside us, Chelsea and Spurs are capable of preventing the type of five minute period that happened against Villa. The other teams' managers and players simply aren't up to it.

• Upvote 2

Here’s my view of yesterday. It’s good to get these things talked through and written down. It’s good for the soul.

The last few weeks have been difficult, as my gf’s dad has been in hospital and had to have a number of surgeries and ultimately he had to lose his leg on Friday. There’s also quite a bit going on that could fill the “family strife” thread up if I was minded to, so I was genuinely unsure if I’d make the trip over until mid-morning and had people on standby if I decided not to.

Regarding the match:

* great atmosphere, before at the sandon and building up to kick off, and right up until after Salah scored what we all knew was a forlorn winner.

* we needed to win for us, to know we did all we could, and to go to Paris on a win. We did that.

* I’ve heard people say “if we’d scored when they were 2-0 down it might’ve been different”. Well, it might, but it probably wouldn’t. They knew they probably needed to win, no matter what. 

* something has changed since I was last there vs eveton. I had mobile signal the whole match, and could get reliable info from WhatsApp messages throughout. That was helpful.

* the game was nuts, but great to watch for a neutral I imagine. By going behind early we played almost the whole game like it was the last 10 minutes. Mental. Ultimately the main difference between us and city and why they are more likely to win the league than us every season. We’re boss to watch but rarely make it easy even though you knew we were going to win that match; they’re boring to watch but generally batter teams.

* shame Mane’s second got ruled out. It almost certainly wouldn’t have made any difference (see above) but we collectively celebrated it like it was a league winner. It was the loudest cheer of the season. We still got to have that feeling - which is why it’s boss to be a red - but we also had to let go of it then, which was a shame.

* Thiago defo won’t make Paris. There’s no way he’s walking round the pitch on our appreciation lap if there’s a chance he could be fit - he’s be in the physios room. That said, he was shite today so maybe for the best (sarcasm).

* he was though. Gave the ball away more in that 45 minutes than he had in the last 3 months.

* Trent, Robbo and in particular Bobby were all dreadful too. We still won by 2 clear goals.

* Anthony Taylor is a prick. Just saying,

* couldn’t be more proud to be a red.

having phone signal meant I was seeing messages from a group whatsapp with the lads I play footy with. Mostly Leeds, but also Newcastle, Everton even Norwich fans in it.

the “anyone but Liverpool” thing came out from one of the Leeds fans. Well, fuck that - keep going with it. This season has been fucking boss, and unlike everyone else’s, ours isn’t even over yet.

so proud of our lads. What a time to be a red. Came within 15 minutes of the domestic treble. That’s just unbelievable. Truly, truly unbelievable.

I’ve stood on the kop 3 times in the last 10 years watching us not win the league on the last day of the season. This one by far the easiest to take and the happiest I’ve felt walking out. 

nobody leaving anfield half an hour after the match finished was pissed off or angry. Some were a bit down, but not most. Most were smiling and laughing and singing and talking about “what time you getting there” and “I’ll see you there lad” and everything else.

anyone wants to try and take the piss out of us, just fucking let them. It’s great being us and they’d give anything for a day of it.

• Upvote 7

Keeping this as a separate post to not take away from my positivity, but:

Two sour notes: well, the same sour note, twice. Whoever it was that threw the flares into the away fans needs finding, banning, and locking up. Gobshites. That behaviour has been coming - it’s starting to look more prevalent around the game as a whole, but  we’ve got our share, and they don’t get called out enough. They’re cunts and they need to be told.

• Upvote 7

Thoughts about the game and events:

The boys have been exceptional this season. We've won 2 trophies, took a 3rd to the last day after being 14 points behind them in January and have another go for big ears on Saturday.

Im pleased people who attended both cup finals had a great day out but I cant help feeling the distraction of the domestic cups have left the team running on fumes. It's only the fact this group of players dont know when they're beat that keeps them going.

Thiago has really made us tick this season but his injury \ fitness record is a big concern. He just kicked the ball yesterday and his hammy(?) went 'ping' and not for the first time.

Keita isnt up to it here. He loses his man, doesnt track back enough and is too easily knocked off the ball.

Despite his detractor(s), Hendo is a leader of men and the best player to Captain this team.

Im absolutely gutted at events yesterday. My heart said we'd win the title, not city but my head said they'd do it.

We can each point to a number of League games that have cost us number 20: The lost away at Leicester despite having a pen and being on top for most of the game. The draws home and away v Spurs, the draw away at Brentford and the loss at West Ham. For me, it's the West Ham game. We allowed Alli to get bullied and at least 2 of their goals were clear and obvious errors.

But the stars aligned for city as well. I dont watch many of their games but fuck me, how they got away with that clear and obvious penalty shout at the shite is beyond me. While the shite would still have had to score the resultant pen (stop sniggering!) they'd at least have been in the conversation over the result if it had been awarded.

How many times were city made to play a Saturday 12:30 kick off after an international break or, midweek European tie? They didnt get to any cup finals that went to 120 minutes but if they had, it would have been interesting to see if they'd have been made to play on a Tuesday night immediately afterwards. Sporting integrity? Fuck right off.

I hate it in the ground when people cheer the score against Villa. Just my preference as I think it can affect the players.

Love Stevie but he can fuck right off with his 'my players gave their all' shite. No Stevie, they shit the bed at being 2-0 up, that's what they did. Conceeding 3 goals in 6 minutes, yeah, we know where that's going but there's no way a PL team should be collapsing like that.

I find it bizarre Stevie played a debutant keeper, who is so shite even the shite got rid. Martinez was said to have been a doubt for their midweek game against Villa yet played. He didnt look ropey or ill so dont understand why he didnt play yesterday. Never underestimate a defences understanding with the regular keeper in front ofthem compared to a debutant.

Would Martinez have made a difference? Who knows when you have the shite Mings in your defence. If Stevie comes calling for Joe, Jurgen should tell him to fuck off.

Why did he take Coutinho off after he scored, was he injured or something?

But it's the trend of teams that play city, isnt it? I read someone call it that ourselves, chelsea, spurs and united know how to play these twats, the rest just role over. Newcastle, pulled their tripe out against us for 93 minutes recently. Against city they conceed 5 with 3 of those being in the last 10 minutes. Wolves yesterday, went eyeballs out with us all game yet their recent midweek game against city, conceed after 3 minutes, equalise then conceed another 4 in 90 minutes.

Speaking of Wolves, their 'fans' can fuck off. I hope no one was hurt by that flare deliberately thrown into the lower Main stand corner.

At least they wont get 6 points and a +12 goal difference on a plate next season now Burnley got relegated.

I dont think if we'd been winning yesterday and them 2 down would have made city collapse further. Sorry, just wishful thinking in my view.

But the bottom line is we went into yesterday's game depending on Villa to do us a favour. It was just too big an ask. As Jurgen said before the 19/20 season, we needed to be perfect. We were close to it but not close enough.

To win the title next season, still a big ask in my opinion, we need to be perfect. That means getting in front of city and staying there because there arent enough teams in the PL who you can rely on to take points off them when it gets to the wire.

I dont expect any other clubs' fans to be cheering for us. But I find it bizarre they cheer for city. Wonder if they'll still be doing that if city win the next 3 or 4 PL titles?

5 minutes ago, johnsusername said:

Not sure I've for the energy for another league run against Man City next season. I find it all exhausting. 

And sadly emotionally draining. 

52 minutes ago, dockers_strike said:

Thoughts about the game and events:

The boys have been exceptional this season. We've won 2 trophies, took a 3rd to the last day after being 14 points behind them in January and have another go for big ears on Saturday.

Im pleased people who attended both cup finals had a great day out but I cant help feeling the distraction of the domestic cups have left the team running on fumes. It's only the fact this group of players dont know when they're beat that keeps them going.

Thiago has really made us tick this season but his injury \ fitness record is a big concern. He just kicked the ball yesterday and his hammy(?) went 'ping' and not for the first time.

Keita isnt up to it here. He loses his man, doesnt track back enough and is too easily knocked off the ball.

Despite his detractor(s), Hendo is a leader of men and the best player to Captain this team.

Im absolutely gutted at events yesterday. My heart said we'd win the title, not city but my head said they'd do it.

We can each point to a number of League games that have cost us number 20: The lost away at Leicester despite having a pen and being on top for most of the game. The draws home and away v Spurs, the draw away at Brentford and the loss at West Ham. For me, it's the West Ham game. We allowed Alli to get bullied and at least 2 of their goals were clear and obvious errors.

But the stars aligned for city as well. I dont watch many of their games but fuck me, how they got away with that clear and obvious penalty shout at the shite is beyond me. While the shite would still have had to score the resultant pen (stop sniggering!) they'd at least have been in the conversation over the result if it had been awarded.

How many times were city made to play a Saturday 12:30 kick off after an international break or, midweek European tie? They didnt get to any cup finals that went to 120 minutes but if they had, it would have been interesting to see if they'd have been made to play on a Tuesday night immediately afterwards. Sporting integrity? Fuck right off.

I hate it in the ground when people cheer the score against Villa. Just my preference as I think it can affect the players.

Love Stevie but he can fuck right off with his 'my players gave their all' shite. No Stevie, they shit the bed at being 2-0 up, that's what they did. Conceeding 3 goals in 6 minutes, yeah, we know where that's going but there's no way a PL team should be collapsing like that.

I find it bizarre Stevie played a debutant keeper, who is so shite even the shite got rid. Martinez was said to have been a doubt for their midweek game against Villa yet played. He didnt look ropey or ill so dont understand why he didnt play yesterday. Never underestimate a defences understanding with the regular keeper in front ofthem compared to a debutant.

Would Martinez have made a difference? Who knows when you have the shite Mings in your defence. If Stevie comes calling for Joe, Jurgen should tell him to fuck off.

Why did he take Coutinho off after he scored, was he injured or something?

But it's the trend of teams that play city, isnt it? I read someone call it that ourselves, chelsea, spurs and united know how to play these twats, the rest just role over. Newcastle, pulled their tripe out against us for 93 minutes recently. Against city they conceed 5 with 3 of those being in the last 10 minutes. Wolves yesterday, went eyeballs out with us all game yet their recent midweek game against city, conceed after 3 minutes, equalise then conceed another 4 in 90 minutes.

Speaking of Wolves, their 'fans' can fuck off. I hope no one was hurt by that flare deliberately thrown into the lower Main stand corner.

At least they wont get 6 points and a +12 goal difference on a plate next season now Burnley got relegated.

I dont think if we'd been winning yesterday and them 2 down would have made city collapse further. Sorry, just wishful thinking in my view.

But the bottom line is we went into yesterday's game depending on Villa to do us a favour. It was just too big an ask. As Jurgen said before the 19/20 season, we needed to be perfect. We were close to it but not close enough.

To win the title next season, still a big ask in my opinion, we need to be perfect. That means getting in front of city and staying there because there arent enough teams in the PL who you can rely on to take points off them when it gets to the wire.

I dont expect any other clubs' fans to be cheering for us. But I find it bizarre they cheer for city. Wonder if they'll still be doing that if city win the next 3 or 4 PL titles?

Chill out a bit mate. You seemed to get quite angry as you went through it all. Glad you got it written down and hope you feel better for it, but sheesh.

a couple of things I wholeheartedly disagree with, so wanted to reply.

1. the wolves fans did deliberately throw a flare at the lower main stand; only that flare had arrived in their end via one of our own knobheads launching it from high up in the main stand initially. Our cunts there are the main cunts.

2. those domestic cup “distractions” could very well be all we win this year. Fucking appreciate them.

6 hours ago, aRdja said:

I’m not sure that’s entirely fair on Manchester United. They make shitloads of money and spend accordingly, unlike City or Chelsea. 

They made that money through getting in bed with the likes of Sky who had a stake in the club at the start of the PL. They then used that cash to gazump the transfer market knowing nobody could compete with them.

13 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

They made that money through getting in bed with the likes of Sky who had a stake in the club at the start of the PL. They then used that cash to gazump the transfer market knowing nobody could compete with them.

Sky owned a stake in many clubs at the time, including Sunderland and Leeds. They went public and anyone could buy their shares, even you. I dislike United almost as much as anyone, but they’re a proper football club, and well run financially. 

16 minutes ago, aRdja said:

Sky owned a stake in many clubs at the time, including Sunderland and Leeds. They went public and anyone could buy their shares, even you. I dislike United almost as much as anyone, but they’re a proper football club, and well run financially. 

The glaziers?

Haven't they loaded the club with debt?

• Upvote 1

33 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Around the same time we bought hyypia for 3.5 m..they were spending 10 times that on ferdinand

Couple of seasons ago I said to my lad that city and us were so close that it would be the results of the games we play against each other that could decide the title and I believe that still applies.

Had we have won one of the two games against them, we’d have won it this year.

No way can anyone else be relied upon to get a result to favour us, as city are just ruthless when they get a foothold in a game and, as has been said, most teams roll over and are beaten before the kick off when they play them. They are ultra professional and happily foul tactically to achieve their aims, and at times, I feel we’re too soft and allow teams to bully us, whereas city don’t.

I don’t want to get into criticising individual players, as none of them set out to deliberately fail and we pretty much know what level each can produce, both positively and negatively, and so it’s up to Klopp and his team to make up teams to play each opposition, dependant on injuries.

Improvement can always be made, and should be, to keep us competitive, especially when city can go and drop the hard earned odd £50-100m on players whenever they want.

We’re a brilliant club, with the best manager, anywhere, and with some great players and we’re not getting any playing field levelled in the near future by the authorities, who’s duty it is to keep that field levelled, and so we have to keep going again and again, and backing our lads  until we either win, or until we fall behind the money clubs as, sadly, will likely happen unless we become one of them.

1 hour ago, coachpotato said:

Couple of seasons ago I said to my lad that city and us were so close that it would be the results of the games we play against each other that could decide the title and I believe that still applies.

Had we have won one of the two games against them, we’d have won it this year.

No way can anyone else be relied upon to get a result to favour us, as city are just ruthless when they get a foothold in a game and, as has been said, most teams roll over and are beaten before the kick off when they play them. They are ultra professional and happily foul tactically to achieve their aims, and at times, I feel we’re too soft and allow teams to bully us, whereas city don’t.

I don’t want to get into criticising individual players, as none of them set out to deliberately fail and we pretty much know what level each can produce, both positively and negatively, and so it’s up to Klopp and his team to make up teams to play each opposition, dependant on injuries.

Improvement can always be made, and should be, to keep us competitive, especially when city can go and drop the hard earned odd £50-100m on players whenever they want.

We’re a brilliant club, with the best manager, anywhere, and with some great players and we’re not getting any playing field levelled in the near future by the authorities, who’s duty it is to keep that field levelled, and so we have to keep going again and again, and backing our lads  until we either win, or until we fall behind the money clubs as, sadly, will likely happen unless we become one of them.

0_rodri-block.jpg

We were this close to (perhaps underservedly) beating them at Anfield earlier this season...

1 hour ago, aRdja said:

Helped by the fact that, in the Nineties, they had a crop of first-teamers coming from their academy, so they could throw all their money at other areas of the pitch.

4 hours ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Chill out a bit mate. You seemed to get quite angry as you went through it all. Glad you got it written down and hope you feel better for it, but sheesh.

a couple of things I wholeheartedly disagree with, so wanted to reply.

1. the wolves fans did deliberately throw a flare at the lower main stand; only that flare had arrived in their end via one of our own knobheads launching it from high up in the main stand initially. Our cunts there are the main cunts.

2. those domestic cup “distractions” could very well be all we win this year. Fucking appreciate them.

You see this is why I havent been on here for a number of weeks, the type of poster who tells others what to think and instead, only 'my' view counts.

Listen, I didnt see the flare get thrown from our fans and mentioned what I saw. If the flare came from our fans first, then I agree, whoever threw it should be looking at a lifetime ban.

Ive repeatedly said I see the domestic cups as distractions. Why should I 'appreciate them' given that?

Im happy other people had the opportunity to see the wins at Wembley. But, you'll never convince me playing extra games and 120 minute finals doesnt have knock on effects on player performance and ultimately winning or losing the PL and CL titles.

Angry? Have you listened to the podcast yet? I really dont get why you have yet again singled my post out despite many others expressing similar views.

Your post at 9:25, which I read through first before posting my thoughts, isnt that different yet I didnt take issue with it.