You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Southampton (A) - Tue 17th May 2022 (7:45pm)

Trumo

Southampton are ending the season in pretty torrid form.

They have lost seven of their 10 most recent league matches, as many defeats as in their opening 26 fixtures of the season.

It's also four losses in five home games for Ralph Hasenhuttl's side.

They are playing for the first time since the 3-0 loss at Brentford on 7 May and Saints boss Ralph Hasenhuttl makes five changes from the side that began that match.

Goalkeeper Fraser Forster is out with a back injury with Alex McCarthy coming in, while there are also starts for Lyanco, Jack Stephens, Mohamed Elyounoussi and Nathan Tella.

3 minutes ago, manwiththestick said:

I get that, I do, but I'd still rather win and take it to the final game.

I'd hate if we dropped points by not applying ourselves properly and be left with that big 'what if' in the highly unlikely event of Villa doing something.

Don't get me wrong I want us to win but I'm not getting the anxiety I usually do.

2 minutes ago, gkmacca said:

I have zero knowledge of their squad. Have a few been rested?

They’ve got a few on the bench who tend to start - the likes of Romeu, Bednarek and Che Adams. Their two options at left back are missing - Livramento and Perraud. The former is injured (and tends to play right back anyway), not sure why the latter hasn’t made the squad. 

That seems to have forced a formation change too. They’re down as playing 3 at the back, which I think they hardly ever play. 

6 minutes ago, Strontium said:

I'm just pleased that Harvey Elliott is still alive.

We’ve a friend of a friend of a friend who knows one of the coaching staff well (I won’t say who but if you go on the club website, he’s listed as a first team coach…), anyhoo, he was saying on Saturday Elliott has been out of it because he broke COVID19 protocol and then compounded it by going back out on the piss while he was told to stay away from training.

Don’t shoot the messenger…

Although I’d have liked an extra experienced body in midfield, Klopp has also empowered these players to push us towards the title.

He always says it’s a squad effort, it’s down to everybody. If some of these players want to feel they’ve earned their medal, they win tonight. 

And if it’s not going well, we have Hendo, Thiago & Diaz to come on. 

1 minute ago, Scott_M said:

We’ve a friend of a friend of a friend who knows one of the coaching staff well (I won’t say who but if you go on the club website, he’s listed as a first team coach…), anyhoo, he was saying on Saturday Elliott has been out of it because he broke COVID19 protocol and then compounded it by going back out on the piss while he was told to stay away from training.

If this is true I can't see him lasting too long at the club without a major rocket up the arse. He's talented but not yet that talented.

2 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

If this is true I can't see him lasting too long at the club without a major rocket up the arse. He's talented but not yet that talented.

He seems the type to learn from it if true, he's only young I can kind of forgive the acting up a bit as long as he learns from it.

4 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

The lad said he’d had words with Klopp, so I assume Elliott has already had that.

Apparently the theory behind leaving in out is to make an example of him, making him hungrier in future. 

Just now, Scott_M said:

The lad was saying the theory behind it was make an example of him, make him hungrier in future. 

The lad said he’d had words with Klopp, so I assume Elliott has already had that rocket. 

Let's hope it serves it's purpose then. A goal tonight would help.

6 minutes ago, Scott_M said:

Obviously I've nothing to base this on but was thinking the club may be unhappy with some of his social media stuff. We had the kane thing which granted was a good while ago but im sure there was something else recently? 

Like I say just a feeling but I wouldn't be surprised if the club have made it clear that he needs to knuckle down. 

2 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

Let's hope it serves it's purpose then. A goal tonight would help.

I don’t really know the lad we met on Saturday that well but I don’t doubt what he’s told me. 

I know the lad gets 4 tickets every away game of this coach now and he’s bagged him 2 for Wembley and Paris (cheeky cunt had the audacity to moan he was having to pay for Category 1 tickets in Paris!). 

I need to make him my best friend but I think there is a long queue.