You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Featured: That was the week that was (May 9-13 2022)

tlw content

theweekthatwas.jpg

Monday May 9:  

That fucking little weird baldy bastard was talking about us again yesterday. Unprompted too. He was asked about their game and he went off about how everyone in this country wants Liverpool to win and are against City. Fucking hell, you can’t actually be any more wrong than he is right now. Even United fans are rooting for City. Literally nobody other than us wants us to win. 

If everyone is against City, how come there aren’t any songs about them? Pretty much every set of fans we come up against have songs about us (Palace are probably the only ones who don’t bother with that shit) and most of them are still singing about when we didn’t win the league eight fucking years ago!

He also thinks the media want us to win. I reckon he’s right, most of them do because the quadruple is a bigger story than anything City can do, and because the big clubs like us, United, Arsenal and even Chelsea now all move the needle when it comes to getting clicks, selling papers, TV subscriptions etc. Is it better for Sky and BT if Liverpool are more successful than City? Hell yeah it is. Why is he crying about it though? This is what he signed up for when he got on board the sports washing project at an artificially inflated small club (relatively speaking).

He’s just talking through his arse again. It’s nothing new, I mean a few days ago he said with a straight face that City’s owners have told him they’re doing everything by the book and that he believed them. I mean this is a fella who has a history of cheating even before he joined up with the sports washers so at this point he’s basically as trustworthy as Boris Johnson. He just lies all the time and is rarely challenged on it. Thank fuck for Nick Harris on twitter though, who seems to be on a mission to get under the skins of City fans on a daily basis by pointing out their cheating ways. He’s fucking great that fella, we should all be grateful to him for fighting a fight that very few others in the media want any part of.

Klopp pissed himself laughing when he was asked about all of this and his answer was a lot more dignified and classy than mine would have been. He pretty much said that all managers say daft things after games and he used it as an opportunity to backtrack some of what he himself said about Spurs yesterday.

It feels like Guardiola is trying to stoke the flames to create a bitter rivalry but Klopp is just pouring cold water on it. Much as I’d like to see him put the little bald weirdo in his box, I like this better. City need a rivalry with us to make themselves relevant because nobody gives a fuck about their ‘achievements’. That eats away at them. Pricks. Klopp is denying them that by continually refusing to bite.

Meanwhile, I’ve finally started watching Sunderland til I Die on Netflix today and fuck me it’s grim. I sort of knew about bits and pieces of what went on there because of my Mackem brother in law but watching this is utterly depressing. The poor bastards. Seeing what those fans have gone though just puts everything into perspective. We drew with Spurs and might have to settle for second place and maybe a European Cup to go with two domestic ones. None of us even give the League Cup we won a second thought anymore but for fans of most teams that would be the greatest achievement in their history. Sunderland went 12 months without even winning a home game!

I love all this fly on the wall stuff as you see just how incompetent loads of people in football actually are. There’s a bit in this when Sunderland are about to start their first season in the Championship and the head of recruitment has compiled a list of potential loan signings for the chief exec to look at, and he looks at it and says, incredulously, “why am I seeing Ibrahimovic on this list? Do you think we’ve suddenly come into a load of money?”

Imagine them calling Zlatan and asking him if he fancies coming to play alongside James Vaughan in the Championship! There was also a bit where their chief scout ruled out a potential signing because he was wearing gloves when it wasn’t cold. Not gonna lie, I have to admire that level of old school pedantry.  

Seriously though, when I used to cover the ressies for the Echo sometimes I’d be sat in the director’s box surrounded by scouts, and you’d hear the conversations they’d be having and it was a massive eye opener. You assume these fellas know what they’re doing and are looking at things that us fans don’t really see, but they aren’t. 

Some of the absolute bollocks I heard some of them saying was mad. It’s the easiest job in the world. Purely about who you know and not what you know. Or at least it used to be, in fairness it’s changed a hell of a lot now with all the data nerds involved. But lower down the leagues where they still do it old school, honestly it’s a complete farce.

Anyway, speaking of Sunderland, they beat Sheffield Wednesday tonight to reach the playoff final. Made up for them, partly for my brother-in-law and also because watching that show really highlighted how bad they’ve had it. Plus they have to deal with those Newcastle fucking wankers on their doorstep. Hopefully they beat Wycombe and get promotion, but my brother-in-law has now cancelled a holiday so he can go to Wembley, which is a big mistake. He’s seen them play at Wembley eight times and they’ve lost every single one. He’s a jinx.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that 'the Week that Was' is only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £3 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 1

• dave u pinned this topic
25 minutes ago, Anubis said:

Worst part of that Sunderland Till I Die was watching Jack Rodwell steal a living as it hurt the club. Twat.

Yeah, others were on big money too but at least they played and did their best. O'Shea, Cattermole, McGeady etc

Sunderland wanted all of them off the books too, but the difference was although they refused to just leave for less money, they did play and at least worked for their money. Rodwell is a proper fucking twat.

Josh Maja fucking off midway through the season when he could have stayed, got them promoted and then left on a free was also a shitty move.

Toni Kroos trolling City over the Aguero statue was boss, I'd have included that if I'd seen it before I published.

Got to hope that Haaland's arrival doesn't have the effect that many people fear it will. Some cause for optimism is that some pundits were tipping Chelsea for the top after they signed Lukaku and then there's the pretty dismal contributions of others signed from the Bundesliga; Werner, Havertz, Pulisic and Sancho spring to mind. Fingers crossed!

• Upvote 1

City have been doing off the book payments to players for years. How else where they able to hang on to Agureo, David Silva etc for so long. Are you trying to tell me they wouldn’t of rather been playing for Madrid or Barca. No they decided to play for city for fuckin ten years. Why didn’t Real or Barca ever come in for any of their players? Because they knew they where on wages that they could never afford. Mancini was getting paid off the books and remember when that Journo asked Baldy about it after the Watford cup final and how arsey he got? Because he fuckin knows. The whole thing stinks.

• Upvote 2

9 hours ago, shouter said:

City have been doing off the book payments to players for years. How else where they able to hang on to Agureo, David Silva etc for so long. Are you trying to tell me they wouldn’t of rather been playing for Madrid or Barca. No they decided to play for city for fuckin ten years. Why didn’t Real or Barca ever come in for any of their players? Because they knew they where on wages that they could never afford. Mancini was getting paid off the books and remember when that Journo asked Baldy about it after the Watford cup final and how arsey he got? Because he fuckin knows. The whole thing stinks.

Yeah, this is the biggest elephant in any room in any sports in the world, and not a single thing is said about it (in the mainstream media at least). The more I think about it the more I regret the a form of the Super League not coming to fruition. Probably not in its original secluded form, but it wouldn't have had to change much for it to be an improvement on the current system. Fuck UEFA, fuck Ceferin, fuck Gary Neville and the Sky wankers trying to keep their monopoly on broadcasting and fuck all the small club wankers whipping up a frenzy over something that with a few adjustments might have kept a lid on the ridiculous money chase that footy in its current version is.

Without Klopp and LFC being so brilliant I would have gotten the perfect  excuse for not following it anymore. I've got boys at 13 and 15 watching with me now, so I try to keep relatively still for fear of ruining the magical ride for them that we're on. The whole thing is a shambles though, from the top of the pyramid to the bottom. I'd say it's among the top 5 corrupted businesses in the world, with the agents being an integral part in them earning that status. What makes it even worse is the way people trip over themselves to tell us how fantastic everything is. An tha has already covered this a few times over the last few weeks, but the absolute balls on Carra, Neville and co for telling us what amazing competition we're facing, when they surely can't be blind enough to not notice the blatant cheating going on. 

• dave u unpinned this topic