You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

All this and we end up with only the League Cup.

rb14

On 08/05/2022 at 15:50, Jairzinho said:

The league has gone. We had about a 5% chance before the Spurs game, that is as good as zero now.

As much as I want to win the FA cup, from here the real disappointment is if we don't win the European Cup final. 

Still fancy us to do the cup treble which obviously would represent an amazing season.

The bookies don't agree with you. You'll get around 1/10 on city and 7/1 on us as winners, that's about 90% vs 10%.

10% chance on winning the league? I can live with that. It's higly unlikely we'll win, but it wouldn't be a statistic sensation if we did either. Ain't over - fat lady - sings - etc

19 minutes ago, JustTosh said:

The bookies don't agree with you. You'll get around 1/10 on city and 7/1 on us as winners, that's about 90% vs 10%.

10% chance on winning the league? I can live with that. It's higly unlikely we'll win, but it wouldn't be a statistic sensation if we did either. Ain't over - fat lady - sings - etc

We're priced at 7/1 because people will take that price. They don't need to push it out further. 

I wouldn't take 20/1.

14 hours ago, an tha said:

Just read that we have picked up 41 points from the last 45 available and had only been held this calendar year in 2-2 draws away at Chelsea and Manchester City prior to Saturday evening.

We have suffered just two defeats all season with the most recent as far back as December and are now unbeaten in 22 top-flight matches at home, a run which stretches back 14 months.....

And still it isn't likely to be enough.

FUCKING HELL.

Yes, but we were also 14 points behind at one point in January. The fact that we even challenged for the title and still have a very outside shot at it is a bonus.  We know the standards and the first half of the season wasn't up to them. 

The domestic cups are a good consolation and the Champions League is what could give us a great season regardless.

5 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Next season will be the same with the league - we either get off to a stormer and and force City to give up since they really can’t deal with being a long way behind, or they’ll win it because they’re the ultimate flat track bullies over the course of a season and have never conceded the top spot when out in front. We’ll know who is at least 95% likely to finish top after about 15 games.

It's become relentless; you have to be on it from game 1; and my fear is the continuation of loads of teams just rolling over and accepting defeat, and conceding 3,4,5 goals to them. However, when they play us, it's the 'cup final'.....and we have to scrap for a tight win. 

This team is worthy of more than just the one Title....but the fates seem to be conspiring against us.....

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, 3 Stacks said:

Yes, but we were also 14 points behind at one point in January. The fact that we even challenged for the title and still have a very outside shot at it is a bonus.  We know the standards and the first half of the season wasn't up to them. 

The domestic cups are a good consolation and the Champions League is what could give us a great season regardless.

The point for me is the standard at present to even challebge for league is ridiculous.

It is relentless - we are at the stage where almost perfection is required, which unless you are a cheating state owned outfit is frankly nigh on impossible.

When a couple of draws are seen as bad results then it has become silly.

OK we did arguably draw too many in first half of season and it can be argued that 8 draws across season in total is 'too many' given where bar is now....i know we only drew 3 in our title winning season of 2020 for example - although of course we got 99 pts that season, 2nd highest pts total in history....that obviously isn't going to happen often.

It is a difficult and bitter pill to swallow to be this good, to be putting up such incredible numbers and be getting such little reward (comparatively speaking)

Let's hope number 7 arrives and this incredible team and manager and us as supporters get to revel in it.

1 hour ago, an tha said:

The point for me is the standard at present to even challebge for league is ridiculous.

It is relentless - we are at the stage where almost perfection is required, which unless you are a cheating state owned outfit is frankly nigh on impossible.

When a couple of draws are seen as bad results then it has become silly.

OK we did arguably draw too many in first half of season and it can be argued that 8 draws across season in total is 'too many' given where bar is now....i know we only drew 3 in our title winning season of 2020 for example - although of course we got 99 pts that season, 2nd highest pts total in history....that obviously isn't going to happen often.

It is a difficult and bitter pill to swallow to be this good, to be putting up such incredible numbers and be getting such little reward (comparatively speaking)

Let's hope number 7 arrives and this incredible team and manager and us as supporters get to revel in it.

Well, it's kind of a season of two halves. The before and after Diaz. His acquisition has propelled us. I'm not sure that if you look at our level before January, we could have predicted that we would be where we are today; in line for 3 cups and only 3 points behind City. To beat City, you need to be great all the time and we were not in the first half of the season. That's what it takes now. 

57 minutes ago, 3 Stacks said:

Well, it's kind of a season of two halves. The before and after Diaz. His acquisition has propelled us. I'm not sure that if you look at our level before January, we could have predicted that we would be where we are today; in line for 3 cups and only 3 points behind City. To beat City, you need to be great all the time and we were not in the first half of the season. That's what it takes now. 

I like Diaz and he has done well, but i feel that to say our season is 'before and after' him is not the case.

I believe our season is more a case of 'before and after our midfield was settled'

Early in season when our results were more patchy we struggled to field the same 3 from game to game, it was a constantly revolving door and our best midfielders were in and out week to week.

The bollocks period around late Dec/early Jan when for example we were forced to field Morton, Milner and Keita away at Tottenham and Milner away at Chelsea saw a 'blip' in form after a very good run throughout Oct/Nov and most of early to mid Dec that happened once we had Thiago back and Fabinho starting regularly and the rotation of Oxlade/Milner et al week to week stopped.

If you look at the games when we dropped pts they are nearly all when our midfield had to rely on the back up players....

Chelsea 1-1 - Elliott, Fabinho, Henderson

Brentford 3-3 - Jones, Fabinho, Henderson

Man City 2-2 - Jones, Fabinho, Henderson

Brighton 2-2 - Keita, Henderson, Jones

West Ham 2-3 - Oxlade, Fabinho, Henderson

Tottenham 2-2 - Morton, Milner, Keita

Leicester 0-1 - Oxlade, Fabinho, Henderson

Chelsea 2-2 - Milner, Fabinho, Henderson

The two recent draws with Man City and Tottenham are the only 2 of the 10 games we have dropped pts in where the 3 is Thiago, Fabinho, Henderson

In short when we start a 3 of Thiago, Fabinho and Henderson we almost always win, when Thiago is missing and or we have to field the back up/when we are constantly making changes in there we win a bit less.

• Upvote 4

Think it needs bearing in mind also that it took Virg at least half a season before he was back to his imperious best.  As well as Matip played we were still a bit creaky at the back up to January

• Upvote 4

I wrote this in "The 30 year wait" thread when we won the league in 2020. It's as relevant now as it was then. There are numerous supporters out there that are getting lifts and joy from just watching this team and manager, twice a week, every week. This is about more than the trophies. 

I'm from Ireland and since I was 4 years old I have been a huge fan. My father used to wake me and my brother when he came in from the pub to come down and watch MOTD and share his chicken supper. We kicked him out on my 5th birthday. He was a die-hard Spurs follower (probably 61 double influence) and my brother was a Gooner (big Irish contingent in the 70s) but it was always the Reds for me. Maybe it was just the glory initally but I've always felt that it was more than that. I've felt a real affinity with the club. The winning of the trophies obviously helped but I've said on here before, Heysel was my 10th birthday and it increased the attachment. 

I've been over to the city a fair few times in the past 15 years and it's just feels so comfortable now. The current team has given me so much pleasure in the past few years. When I was sick with cancer last year, the joy in watching the football and even just looking forward to the games got me through some rough times.

I was on a Caribbean holiday for the Barca home game last year with the whole family. We organised it for our mum for her retirement as a thank you for raising us on her own. I shouldn't have gone. I was sick as a dog but didn't want to let her down. Eating was like chewing glass. I could barely speak but that game was a real pick-me-up. My brothers were genuinely delighted for me. I was happy in a sea of shit. The improvement started that night IMO. I was back in work 2 weeks later - on reduced hours and duties but I was on the road. I would have never believed that I would get to that stage so quickly. All is good with me now, touch wood. I am really chuffed for that squad of players and management team. They made a sick man very happy when it was needed. The thing is they play like they know there are thousands of me out there when they pull on the jersey. They really get what Shankly insisted the club was about 60 years ago

• Upvote 11

18 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

We're priced at 7/1 because people will take that price. They don't need to push it out further. 

I wouldn't take 20/1.

Then, in principle, you should take 1/10 on City.

Like at halftime Istanbul, 17 years ago, I've not entirely given up. Stranger things have happened.

I agree our chances are slim, but slim are better than none at all.

22 hours ago, TheDrowningMan said:

Next season will be the same with the league - we either get off to a stormer and and force City to give up since they really can’t deal with being a long way behind, or they’ll win it because they’re the ultimate flat track bullies over the course of a season and have never conceded the top spot when out in front. We’ll know who is at least 95% likely to finish top after about 15 games.

I realise I will get shouted down for this as it may seem I am blaming Jurgen as well,which I am definitely NOT,but when we 7 or 8 points clear and centre halves were dropping like flies I am still angry we didn't buy any centre halves. Going level with United on 20 titles is still a big deal to me because eventually they will get it right,just as we did after a 30 year drought. League titles and being the best at home and europe are why we support this club. Making the biggest profit,while profit is important of course,is not the biggest aim for me or most fans I know.

1 hour ago, JustTosh said:

Then, in principle, you should take 1/10 on City.

Like at halftime Istanbul, 17 years ago, I've not entirely given up. Stranger things have happened.

I agree our chances are slim, but slim are better than none at all.

Yes, I would take 1/10 were I a neutral. 

I think both teams will win their remaining games. 

We can only do our part from here, I just think it won't be enough. City are a machine in the league, and a lot of teams simply don't even know what to try and do against them. 

1 hour ago, VladimirIlyich said:

I realise I will get shouted down for this as it may seem I am blaming Jurgen as well,which I am definitely NOT,but when we 7 or 8 points clear and centre halves were dropping like flies I am still angry we didn't buy any centre halves. Going level with United on 20 titles is still a big deal to me because eventually they will get it right,just as we did after a 30 year drought. League titles and being the best at home and europe are why we support this club. Making the biggest profit,while profit is important of course,is not the biggest aim for me or most fans I know.

That was a massive error on the club's part. The plan must have been Konate in the summer and we couldn't have brought that forward for some reason.

The fact that we waited for Matip to be injured and then left it until the last day to sort it was ridiculous.

We should have either paid extra for Konate or brought Kabak and someone else in at the beginning of the month. Just free up our midfielders. 

2 hours ago, Street Preacher said:

That was a massive error on the club's part. The plan must have been Konate in the summer and we couldn't have brought that forward for some reason.

The fact that we waited for Matip to be injured and then left it until the last day to sort it was ridiculous.

We should have either paid extra for Konate or brought Kabak and someone else in at the beginning of the month. Just free up our midfielders. 

While I havent quite given up on the League title I would be surprised if any of their opponents gave a shit given how our club and city are viewed by outsiders when it comes to all other aspects of society in general. Contrary to bluenose logic Liverpool FC are synonomous with the city of Liverpool.

4 hours ago, Jairzinho said:

Yes, I would take 1/10 were I a neutral. 

I think both teams will win their remaining games. 

We can only do our part from here, I just think it won't be enough. City are a machine in the league, and a lot of teams simply don't even know what to try and do against them. 

I don't know, but you're probably right MCity will take it. I don't really believe both we and City will win our next 3 games though. There's no logical reason, however,  to assume that City'll be the team dropping points, not us.

If you fell sure we'll both win our last 3, the bookies give you app 5/2 on us and MC winning the next two. Probably give you almost 4/1 on all 3. Maybe you should make make a bet.

1 minute ago, JustTosh said:

If you fell sure we'll both win our last 3, the bookies give you app 5/2 on us and MC winning the next two. Probably give you almost 4/1 on all 3. Maybe you should make make a bet.

Yeah, just had a look myself. 9/4 (on BV, 5/2 elsewhere like you said) for the two next games for both sides. Less confident about us than them but probably still good value at 9/4.

How are our stats in terms of being clinical. Goals per chance. Everyone is bias they all think they're the shittest at corners or the most wasteful infront of goal. Mine is in spite of us scoring shitloads it  feels we miss so many chances you think should be buried. We could of buried spurs but the decision making was atrocious. When you watch us play how dominant and in control we are  its no surprise we score so many, it always feels like graft though and not often too big a score. I'm just being picky because you have to with this side as its so close to flawless.

• Upvote 1