You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Villarreal 2 Liverpool 3 (May 3 2022)

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

We probably should have expected this. After all, we never make these semi finals easy. Remember when we battered Roma and somehow ended up hanging on? I think we were 5-0 up at one point in that tie weren’t we? This time the lead was only 2-0 so maybe this was inevitable. How else can you explain what happened in that first half? 

That opening 45 minutes was mad. Villarreal did to us what we normally do to everyone else. They outworked us, outfought us and outplayed us. They were good value for their 2-0 lead even though they didn’t exactly create a load of chances. It was partly them playing out of their skins, and mostly us being absolutely fucking shit. Virtually everyone.

It’s easier to name the ones I didn’t think were abysmal. That would be Konate, Fabinho and Virgil. Not that any of them were particularly good, but they weren’t bad. Everyone else though, Jesus. It’s hard to say exactly what went wrong and why. The easy explanation would be that we weren’t prepared for what they threw at us, but I can’t accept that these players will have been complacent and thought the job was done. There’s no way they’d think that and no way Klopp would let them.

But that’s how it looked. I just think the early goal rattled us and lifted them. And we just didn’t recover from it until we were able to get in at half time and regroup. Momentum was going against us and Villarreal rode the wave of emotion from the crowd. We know how that is, we’ve done it to the opposition countless times. This time we were on the receiving end.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £3 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic

As pointed out, us and doing it the hard way seem to go hand in hand, except maybe for the League title in ‘20?

Think most thought Villarreal wouldn’t keep it as intense in the second half, and that’s how it worked out.

We we’re terrible in the first half, as bad as we’ve been in several seasons, but Villarreal had the momentum from the third minute in and bullied us.

Half time was what they didn’t want, and was exactly what we needed.

Fortunately, they aren’t like us (i.e. versus Barcelona) and once Fabinho had put us ahead in the tie, they were done for and it showed by the looks on their faces.

They need a better goalkeeper, and maybe then they’ll do better, but once again the simulation and aggressiveness they produced just make it difficult to say hard luck to them, even though their supporters are sound.

So we move on to Paris, and number 7, lucky for us but not for the oil cheats hopefully!

Im fed up adding stars to my CL tattoo, it looked great with 5 in a row, then number 6 sort of knocked it out of whack, 7 is going to make it look really odd.

Maybe one either side of the top 5?

Or

20 minutes ago, MOGLET said:

Im fed up adding stars to my CL tattoo, it looked great with 5 in a row, then number 6 sort of knocked it out of whack, 7 is going to make it look really odd.

Maybe one either side of the top 5?

Or

Top one. Hopefully by the time Jurgen leaves us you’ll have run out of arm.

We’re so good right now, I mean, scoring three goals to get an easy win after such an abysmal first  half, it tells a lot about our balls and guts ! Hello Paris, time to have cheese and wine and get number 7. 

1 hour ago, Shooter in the Motor said:

Just watched this.  The looks of misery and disppointment in the faces of the BT Sport folks (round 10 minute mark)  is brilliant. Especially that twat humphrey's and fucking camel lip.  

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic