You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Paris

kop77

The good thing is it's just not sticking as far as media reports go. Scaring the shite out of journalists was a bad idea by the Paris police and thei 'helpers'. The coverage is petty damning of UEFA. It's important that the club really keeps the pressure on. For example, aside from public apologies and some kind of formal action against them, the matter of compensation needs to be pursued. Lots of fans had to borrow money, or drain their accounts, to get tickets and travel and they didn't even get in, and were assaulted for their trouble. That's simply unacceptable, but it's the kind of thing that gets overlooked by middle class observers who can afford to just shrug it off. There needs to be a blistering legal assault on UEFA, and the French authorities, about this, and there needs to be results, not just posturing and censuring tweets, and it needs to be achieved via the club not cliques.

• Upvote 2

28 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

They can’t hide the truth now, there have been way too many evidences and testimonies. The story has turned into a case, the government has said stupid stuff and has lied, they’re fucked. 

I hope you're right mate. I remember thinking that a few days after "the truth" story by the rag too. Took us 30 years to fix that lie and it's still perpetuated today. 

• Upvote 1

Hillsborough started with lies and a cover up that lasted over 30 years and still the perpetrators got away with it.

Now I’m not trying in any way to align this with the tragedy at Hillsborough, but do any of you think, now that the French and UEFA have started with a lie, they’re going to retract and say sorry? 
Not a fucking chance.

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Arnaud said:

They can’t hide the truth now, there have been way too many evidences and testimonies. The story has turned into a case, the government has said stupid stuff and has lied, they’re fucked. 

Well, they ought to be, but we've all seen governments and police forces wriggle out of seemingly damning situations. That's why the pressure has to be ferociously intense until people are brought to account. Once the clock can't be heard ticking quite so loudly, the scoundrels start creeping away. 

And all of the errors and slanders and infringements need to be itemised, beginning with the outrageous and patently illegitimate announcement before the game claiming fans were culpable. You make an announcement explaining in broad terms the delay, fine. But claiming specific causes that simply were not correct is something that requires clear punishment.

2 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

Hillsborough started with lies and a cover up that lasted over 30 years and still the perpetrators got away with it.

Now I’m not trying in any way to align this with the tragedy at Hillsborough, but do any of you think, now that the French and UEFA have started with a lie, they’re going to retract and say sorry? 
Not a fucking chance.

They're just adding more lies to the mix. It's fucking astonishing. I actually think the handling of that yesterday was equally as bad as Hillsborough, it's just the stadium itself is safer. 

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

They're just adding more lies to the mix. It's fucking astonishing. I actually think the handling of that yesterday was equally as bad as Hillsborough, it's just the stadium itself is safer. 

Totally agree with that, it could have ended up pretty badly.

5 minutes ago, coachpotato said:

Simple question to the French, “How did ticketless fans or fans with fraudulent tickets get that close to the stadium to be able to cause so much mayhem?”

They're claiming they filtered 70% out at the first check. It's complete fucking nonsense. Basically there were loads of local rats at that check and loads got to the gate and they did fuck all about it. 

2 hours ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm surprised there's been so little on here about what happened at the game. I think our overall experience was better than that of @an tha - in fact I would say we had a great trip up to the point we got off the RER at St Denis on Saturday evening. 

However, we did deliberately choose to stay out of the way. I've had enough of the French police before this trip and knew the secret to a good time was staying out of the way of the noise. We stayed in oberkampf and there were plenty of bars around there and Friday night was brilliant and then we found a bar that gave us a lock in - there were plenty of us and it was small and the staff just partied with us. An absolutely cracking night. 

On the day of the game, we headed up to tour Eiffel about lunch time as one of my mates wanted pictures there. Then the RER brought us into St Michel. It was pretty calm there, so we settled down outside a cafe with good beer and spent the day. There were some Liverpool and Madrid fans, all good natured and plenty of singing. 

Then the shitshow started at the stadium. The first line to get past, all these local youths were allowed to just mix in and try to pick pocket people, they were called out to the police who just laughed. They were even letting them pick pocket as you had your hands up to be searched by the police to get through - one of them almost got my mates phone but he managed to grab him. Once up at the ground, local kids were trying to climb in and they just shut all the gates. It was fucking chaos. I've been in worse situations, including in France, but it was up there. 

When we left the match the path to the station as you first come out is a little like Wembley way, with something underneath. As we walked through the police just started throwing canisters of tear gas at us from below onto the top road as we walked out. It was all peaceful. Then loads of police just blocked the path going through a tunnel to the station. It was chaos. 

If what @arnaud says is right and they've hired "private" police, it would seem more likely they've just hired thugs. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind that the police were trying to get us to start a riot and as time passed their tactics got more indiscriminate to try and force the issue. My personal feeling is they should be banned by uefa for any future events. But that clearly won't happen. The French ministry are already out there this morning blaming ticketless fans. Utter fucking scum. 

Oberkampf on Friday night was brilliant 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

What have PSG to do with it?

The French will want a liaison with UEFA and in the PSG chair they have somebody close to both French football and UEFA. They won’t want Paris being frozen out as a major football venue.

4 minutes ago, Anubis said:

The French will want a liaison with UEFA and in the PSG chair they have somebody close to both French football and UEFA. They won’t want Paris being frozen out as a major football venue.

I don't see why the chairman of PSG would care though. It doesn't help them. I realise the French don't want to be frozen out, I just don't think it changes what happens with anyone at psg. And it's way easier for uefa to pass the blame onto the French (and Spanish for the uefa cup debacle) than it is accepting responsibility themselves. 

The damage has already been done, the dye cast. Most of the original lies seem already to have been debunked, what’s left seems to be a heavily spun version of the facts or more untruths that are likely to be proven so in the coming days. 

There’s a huge community out there that don’t care about this. They want Liverpool fans to be to blame so that is how it will be. Some might be swayed by these minor inconveniences called; ‘facts’ and ‘truth’, but many more will remain stoic in their commitment to those beliefs they’ve held for decades. 

Individuals and organisations take responsibility for what happened in Paris and the lies told since. There are others who’s agendas against Liverpool, and the platforms from which they’ve been able give voice to their bias, have made these lies an easier sell. Particularly to a receptive audience in the UK. 

I’m not a Scouser, never lived in Liverpool, but it’s plane as day that this shit against the people of a city I care much about has been going on for decades. It might not be covered by law but it’s discrimination, the kind that’s acceptable, fuelled, and celebrated. 

Fuck them all. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Barrington Womble said:

And so the Hillsborough style lies continue. Fuck off you french cunt. 

IMG_20220530_134125_324.jpg

As somebody pointed out on 5 Live, the sporting authorities in charge of the events are responsible for the organisation of security, etc. Clearly the rugby authorities and the Olympic authorities are much better at it than UEFA.

10 minutes ago, Anubis said:

As somebody pointed out on 5 Live, the sporting authorities in charge of the events are responsible for the organisation of security, etc. Clearly the rugby authorities and the Olympic authorities are much better at it than UEFA.

My bet is uefa outsource the lot to the people who run the stadium. 

4 hours ago, YorkshireRed said:

The damage has already been done, the dye cast. Most of the original lies seem already to have been debunked, what’s left seems to be a heavily spun version of the facts or more untruths that are likely to be proven so in the coming days. 

There’s a huge community out there that don’t care about this. They want Liverpool fans to be to blame so that is how it will be. Some might be swayed by these minor inconveniences called; ‘facts’ and ‘truth’, but many more will remain stoic in their commitment to those beliefs they’ve held for decades. 

Individuals and organisations take responsibility for what happened in Paris and the lies told since. There are others who’s agendas against Liverpool, and the platforms from which they’ve been able give voice to their bias, have made these lies an easier sell. Particularly to a receptive audience in the UK. 

I’m not a Scouser, never lived in Liverpool, but it’s plane as day that this shit against the people of a city I care much about has been going on for decades. It might not be covered by law but it’s discrimination, the kind that’s acceptable, fuelled, and celebrated. 

Fuck them all. 

You are never going to  people like that minds and I wouldn't even bother 

• Upvote 1