You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Paris

kop77

3 hours ago, an tha said:

I think mine are coming to an end.

The cost is getting higher and higher all the time, and it is starting to get to me (i can afford it, but i am becoming increasingly uneasy about the cost) The amount of time and energy that goes into getting tickets is actually pretty draining too - especially way club goes about it all.

The matchday experience is OK mostly, but i am a bit jaded with a lot of the modern experience frankly....and i'm not getting any younger.

Think at my peak I was going to all the homes and about 10 aways..spent about a grand for Athens and it got to the point where I just couldn't afford it anymore.

Mate does the euro aways and that and I reckon this season has cost him over 4k

Even if I had it I don't think I could justify that. 

It is gutting though missing days like the cup final.

1 hour ago, g0lanb said:

Just booked the flight to Paris. Any chance anybody here knows what's the best and cheapest way to get a ticket?

Not that it’ll help you, but all the best and cheapest ways to get a ticket will have been well taken by now.

Unless you’ve got a couple of thousand quid to pay a tout, then you’ll be lucky to pick up a ticket in Paris.

11 hours ago, an tha said:

I think mine are coming to an end.

The cost is getting higher and higher all the time, and it is starting to get to me (i can afford it, but i am becoming increasingly uneasy about the cost) The amount of time and energy that goes into getting tickets is actually pretty draining too - especially way club goes about it all.

The matchday experience is OK mostly, but i am a bit jaded with a lot of the modern experience frankly....and i'm not getting any younger.

Comes to us all eventually, time to pass the baton over. Never did midweek European aways and it amazes me how people with families can do it. Not sure if they have family holidays. Admire the commitment but family is much more important. Don't know how my missus coped with three kids as I went to away games.

8 hours ago, Arniepie said:

Think at my peak I was going to all the homes and about 10 aways..spent about a grand for Athens and it got to the point where I just couldn't afford it anymore.

Mate does the euro aways and that and I reckon this season has cost him over 4k

Even if I had it I don't think I could justify that. 

It is gutting though missing days like the cup final.

It's probably worse when you were once able to attend European aways rather than never being able to afford them,which helps. I have to admit that the idea of travelling several hours on a plane just to be herded on and off like a glorified 'football special' has never appealed to me. I'd like to spend a couple of nights doing some sightseeing too. 

3 hours ago, DalyanPete said:

Comes to us all eventually, time to pass the baton over. Never did midweek European aways and it amazes me how people with families can do it. Not sure if they have family holidays. Admire the commitment but family is much more important. Don't know how my missus coped with three kids as I went to away games.

I'm self employed and I am nearly always away through the week with work, so I used to get to aways after I had kids. I didn't have set holidays, I had enough money to do it and nobody really missed me. I used to go to every one (well nearly), but after we lost our way because of H&G and missed lots of europe, I never quite got back into the habit of going all the time and realised just how much I was fucking up my work by basically never working, so I would just pick odd games and I could normally get a ticket off someone. 

I used to know loads of fellas who had families and went to every game. I don't know how they navigated the time off, but lots of them would do it on a proper budget, often sleeping in airports, so having 2 nights away to keep the flight costs down, but not booking hotels. Or booking hotels miles away from the city we were staying in. The trip was just about football for them, which did not resonate with me at all. Going to the match has always been as much about my mates as it has the reds, so the mini holiday aspect of a euro away was the big part and certainly is this week. 

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, VladimirIlyich said:

It's probably worse when you were once able to attend European aways rather than never being able to afford them,which helps. I have to admit that the idea of travelling several hours on a plane just to be herded on and off like a glorified 'football special' has never appealed to me. I'd like to spend a couple of nights doing some sightseeing too. 

If you go on day trips, it is shite. But making your own way and having a mini break is fucking great - 2 nights. I've had some of the happiest times of my life following the reds abroad and lots of it had little or nothing to do with football and I've certainly seen some wonderful places I would never have thought of going to. As much as houllier and Rafa brought some great results for us, it was fucking painful to watch at times - I can't imagine a day trip to be dealt that 90 mins.  

• Upvote 1

32 minutes ago, Barrington Womble said:

I'm self employed and I am nearly always away through the week with work, so I used to get to aways after I had kids. I didn't have set holidays, I had enough money to do it and nobody really missed me. I used to go to every one (well nearly), but after we lost our way because of H&G and missed lots of europe, I never quite got back into the habit of going all the time and realised just how much a was fucking up my work by basically never working, so I would just pick odd games and I could normally get a ticket off someone. 

I used to know loads of fellas who had families and went to every game. I don't know how they navigated the time off, but lots of them would do it on a proper budget, often sleeping in airports, so having 2 nights away to keep the flight costs down, but not booking hotels. Or booking hotels miles away from the city we were staying in. The trip was just about football for them, which did not resonate with me at all. Going to the match has always been as much about my mates as it has the reds, so the mini holiday aspect of a euro away was the big part and certainly is this week. 

Pretty much with you on all of that mate. Once you lose the habit it's hard to pickup again and usually the cash has gone on something else.

Fair play to anyone who can give that commitment. I stopped the aways during the Souness era as I thought the style of play was boring. I would imagine the last few years have been great days out.

• Upvote 1

There’s a very nice place to go if you want something different, Rosa bonheur, à la porte jaune, in the Bois de Vincennes. It’s 10 mn ride from nation.

It’s a bar on a lake, it’s outdoor and it looks like a small square in the village. Very peaceful.