You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Villarreal (A) - UCL Semi Final 2nd leg, Tue 3rd May 2022 (8:00pm)

Trumo

Just now, J-V said:

Couldn't hear fuck all on my stream for his interview

He was sound.

Their fans didn't fancy the second half.... did they?! Even before we scored they were nowhere near like the first half. 

The BT Sports lads going with the overly simplistic angle that Diaz changed the game and has to start the final, ignoring the fact that those who were most awful in the first half turned their game around significantly after the break - Trent, Robbo, Keita, Thiago. Diaz is excellent, we know that, and he may well start the final, but it's lazy punditry for me. 

• Upvote 1

Another game where we didn’t start playing until the second half! At least Villarreal have given us a lesson to be at it from the first whistle, especially at this time of the season when you’re likely to play a team better than Villarreal that might well have been out of sight. 
A few redeemed themselves in that second half, (and they needed to!) but Alisson, Konate and Mane were the only players who looked at it in the first half, even Virgil was iffy and I do wonder sometimes if he’s not as vocal or commanding as he should be when he has the armband? A team as good as ours shouldn’t have to rely on a team talk at half time to sort things out, they should be sorting it on the pitch way before then or they could be dead and buried and that’s where the captain should be leading.

Diaz definitely made a difference when he came on (what a signing by the way!) but Villarreal not being as dynamic also helped, but I felt they wouldn’t keep that level of press up because they probably don’t play that way usually, and because of both of those factors, we took command in the second half and saw it through in the manner we all thought we would.

So, hopefully this helps us with so much at stake at this point, giving the players that belief that we are never beaten, that everything is possible.

Allez, Allez!!

1 hour ago, El Rojo said:

2 in 3 with Rafa too. Our tournament.

Read earlier that this year is the 25th time that Liverpool have entered the European cup/champions league and have reached the final 10 times. Some record

Emery should have spent half time watering the pitch and just told his side "more of the same, boys" as they came back out.

Fantastic response by LFC, but what did he think he'd win by allowing them to control the ball?

The initial lack of control reminded me a bit of the first half of the 2-2 vs City.

Hopefully Klopp comes up with the answer; if it's City in the final I can see more of the same (pressure).

Was sitting rather self-satisfied and smug late in the game... and cast my mind back to the doom and gloom in the first few months of last year.

And this crazy thought emerged, that we might not be anywhere near Paris, if it weren't for a last minute goal scored against a relegated team.  

By our goalkeeper.

Funny old world.

• Upvote 8

2 hours ago, Caramac said:

6je1Hsn.gif

Yhsg0q6.gif

QoNuqiK.gif

When Fab gets that ball and glances across the line, he puts the keeper in two minds and makes sure he's not fully prepared for the shot. Everyone's saying (probably correctly) that the keeper is shit, but I reckon Fab stitched him up expertly there.