You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 2 Everton 0 (Apr 24 2022)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

Well that was harder work than I expected it to be, but when you’ve got Divock Origi you’ve got nothing to worry about. Especially against Everton. He’s the bogeyman to them. They wake up in a cold sweat screaming his name in terror every time derby week comes around.

I half jokingly suggested on the last couple of podcasts that we should be starting him against Everton. I’m not going to now say that it was a mistake not doing so, because the players we’re selecting ahead of him are world class and you can totally understand why Klopp went with them. In fact I’d be far more inclined to give Klopp credit for the fact he wasted little time in getting him on to win the game for us.

The game absolutely changed with the arrival of Origi and Diaz, and we further strengthened our grip on it when Henderson was belatedly introduced too. Now that was someone who definitely should have started, but I’ll get to that in a bit. It was fitting that the goal that made the game safe was fashioned by the three lads who came on.

It’s easy to say things might have been different had they all started but that’s just hindsight talking. The first half was awful, both as a spectacle and in how we played. Everton did what they had to and for that I offer no criticism. Tactically anyway. The rampant cheating is another matter, but in terms of them setting up with everyone behind the ball and just hoping to sneak the odd counter attack, well that’s exactly how they should be playing because what else can they do?

There are two reasons for that. One, depending on your allegiance, we’re either the best or the second best team in the world. Secondly, Everton are proper fucking shit. I’m not saying that in general terms, the way we always would even when they were finishing sixth or seventh under Moyes. They are genuinely proper shit right now. They’re in the bottom three and they deserve to be there. Because they’re genuinely awful. 

So for them to come here and try to engage in a football match was only going to end in them getting the kind of spanking they’ve had regularly in recent seasons. Lampard played under Mourinho so he knows all about parking the bus. They did it pretty well I thought. Yes, we were really poor, but you have to acknowledge that they made it difficult for us and handled us well.

Of course they did that with a flat back nine and Richarlison was the only player within snarling distance of our defenders, but as I say, what else can you expect them to do? They went into the game having dropped into the bottom three so there were as desperate as it gets. A point would have been a massive win for them.

At half time they will have been delighted with how it went. From a football perspective they’d restricted us to virtually nothing. A Mané shot just over and a Jota effort that went wide were just about all we had to show for a dire 45 minutes. The bigger concern for me was the way frustration had set in with the crowd and our players.

Everton’s diving, time wasting and general shithousing really rattled us. I compared it on the post match pod to being “like playing Atletico Madrid only without the good players”. This was straight out of the Simeone playbook. Constant dives, feigning injury, kicking off at the ref over every single decision, rampant time wasting, trying to start little skirmishes all over the park. And it worked as we got sucked right in to it.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £3 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic

Cheers for the report Dave.

Especially after all you’ve been through.

Their shithousing tactics are a good warm up for Villarreal. They may not play the low block, but they have proper footballers and tactically astute players (better than Everton anyways) and they are well versed in being dirty, snide, diving cheating cunts. Lo Celso and Moreno especially. I hope we learn from Sunday.

As for the game, we found a way to win even if we weren’t at our best. The Mentality of these lads shone through. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, RedSand said:

Cheers for the report Dave.

Especially after all you’ve been through.

Their shithousing tactics are a good warm up for Villarreal. They may not play the low block, but they have proper footballers and tactically astute players (better than Everton anyways) and they are well versed in being dirty, snide, diving cheating cunts. Lo Celso and Moreno especially. I hope we learn from Sunday.

As for the game, we found a way to win even if we weren’t at our best. The Mentality of these lads shone through. 

I thought both of the Moreno’s are out?

• Upvote 1

Great report Dave I 100% agree with you with wanting Everton to go down I was beside myself with rage when United allowed them to beat them but having them in that bottom 3 has me excited.

While I loved Mane and Divock's last minute goals against them and the absolute destruction in 2014 I still feel rage when I think about that cunt Funes Mori kissing the Everton badge after ending Origi's season.

Honestly tho last year was when I decided I need them gone ending VVD's season, Thiago missing half the season and VAR reversing the last minute winner had me more pissed off than the loss against them ever could.

With Rafa there I could not honestly hate them but with Lampard I will be partying if they go down and I never have to think about them again.

Also Robbo's goal is the loudest I've screamed since Gini's goal against Middlesbrough 

• Upvote 1

There were some proper stand-out moments, but for me it's a three-horse race:

Robbo scoring. Kop end. Derby game. 

Alisson's fantastic troll on Prickford. 

The venom with which we sang Rafa, Rafael. 

Great report Davo. 

• Upvote 2

First half was a farce, mainly because Stuart Atwell is hopelessly out of his depth and his weak officiating gave them free rein to stop the game every few minutes. 

The way he allowed them to surround him with every decision,  then chat constantly to them again and again and then give TWO minutes added time? 

I guess we have to be thankful he didn't totally let them spoil the game by falling for Gordon's diving but a stronger ref would have stopped their shithousery much earlier 

• Upvote 6

Spot on report as ever.

Gordon has been sussed by the officials regarding his diving, and I doubt he has much more in his locker to offer, a diving Cadamarteri as it were, and I just hope the galling protestations from our blue “friends” doesn’t result in an official incorrectly awarding them a penalty in one of their remaining games that further cheats those clubs around them who have tried to remain financially legal, while they have been allowed to spend without seemingly being censured for it.

The result was everything of course, as it will be in the next 8 or 9 games and as long as we win them all, we’ll have at least 3 trophies to celebrate.

Exceptional times for an exceptional team.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, beejay said:

First half was a farce, mainly because Stuart Atwell is hopelessly out of his depth and his weak officiating gave them free rein to stop the game every few minutes. 

The way he allowed them to surround him with every decision,  then chat constantly to them again and again and then give TWO minutes added time? 

I guess we have to be thankful he didn't totally let them spoil the game by falling for Gordon's diving but a stronger ref would have stopped their shithousery much earlier 

I remember Atwell trotting up to Villa's goalie early in the second half of the league game at Anfield to inform him to hurry up, thus wasting another few seconds and effectively signalling that he could carry on time-wasting because the next time would be the yellow card. Maybe. All partisanship aside, you have to wonder what game referees grew up playing/watching that they can't see the extent to which they are being played. 

• Upvote 2

Great report Dave - really enjoyed it.

I grew up own the 1960s and often went to watch Everton when the Reds were away. Those were the days of 'The School of Soccer Science' - and I have a bit of a soft spot for them - but, maybe it's really just nostalgia for my youth.

But they are not that sort of club any more. Maybe I will live long enough to see the current bums (did I mean currant buns?) in the National League....

• Upvote 1

• dave u unpinned this topic

Quite telling that a 2-0 win against the blueshite is on page 2 four days after the result with the total posts less than 20.

everton have truly returned home.