You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Villarreal (H) - UCL Semi Final 1st leg, Wed 27th Apr 2022 (8:00pm)

Trumo

26 minutes ago, VERBAL DIARRHEA said:

Rest no one.

We’ve 3/4 positions we can rotate without any real loss of quality though. Konate, Keita and Firmino/Diaz/Origi could figure in most games for us without it being a real risk. Tsimikas probably has a shout too. 

I'd be starting Konate, Hendo and Diaz so there's three changes from Sunday. The last two are probably in our best side anyway and playing Matip every three days is asking for trouble.

I also think Kostas should be getting more game time as he's never let us down. If he doesn't start we should be looking to give him the last 30 minutes at least. 

The only other changes I'd be thinking about are giving Thiago and Trent a rest - but maybe best dealt with by using the bench.  

• Upvote 4

2 minutes ago, aws said:

I'd be starting Konate, Hendo and Diaz so there's three changes from Sunday. The last two are probably in our best side anyway and playing Matip every three days is asking for trouble.

I also think Kostas should be getting more game time as he's never let us down. If he doesn't start we should be looking to give him the last 30 minutes at least. 

The only other changes I'd be thinking about are giving Thiago and Trent a rest - but maybe best dealt with by using the bench.  

In like-for-like terms, Thiago and Trent are currently irreplaceable for us. Don’t want them getting muscle strains at this stage either though. 

• Upvote 1

Please let's just beat these by 3 or 4, and make things easier for ourselves in the second leg.

Conversely, please let those blue cunts get beaten by a couple. Just enough that they've a chance in the second leg, only to be beaten in that too!

32 minutes ago, El Rojo said:

We’ve 3/4 positions we can rotate without any real loss of quality though. Konate, Keita and Firmino/Diaz/Origi could figure in most games for us without it being a real risk. Tsimikas probably has a shout too. 

We can but we should play the best option, they are very good on the break and should have been out of sight after the first leg v Bayern.

59 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Reading that we get an extra £14m for reaching the final with another potential £5m for the ultimate winners. We will be going full strength. 

I think it's even more if we play Madrid. 

The TV money gets split between clubs from the same country, so another reason to want the blue mancs knocked out. 

Play the strongest side possible, which means Diaz, and sometimes Hendo and Konaté. That’s a bit of rotation as well as AWS said.

Thiago selection vs Everton shows that Jurgen doesn’t fancy much rotation with some players when it really matters : Alisson, Trent, VVD, Robbo, Fab, Thiago, Mané, Salah … and probably Diaz if he keeps playing so well.

4 hours ago, VladimirIlyich said:

This is a tough game and I'm sure nobody will be underestimating Villareal at the club. Nil nil games are not uncommon at this stage and given the lack of away goals rule I am not sure Villareal will be that keen to chase one. I think scrapping that rule is shite though and has done nothing positive for Euro games.

That’s a good point on the away goal rule. I’m not sure what’ll it’ll mean for either sides game plan.

Obvious to say but I think it’s down to us tomorrow. Crowd pumping, fast start, unsettle them… hopefully the goals will come.

I watched their game v Bayern, they played well. It was like our performances v Juventus and Chelsea in 2005. It’s easy to say Bayern were poor but I’d say Villarreal made them play poorly.

Is Gerard Moreno fit? They have Danjuma who did precisely fuck all at Bournemouth knocking them in, 

6 hours ago, sir roger said:

Spanish guy on the BBC website saying that everybody goes  on about Villareal only having 50,000 people living there as if it is a fairy tale but it is a bit of a fallacy as they have the 4th biggest player payroll in La Liga.

Their president is a billionaire. His family own Mercadona, who are basically the Spanish Tesco.

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, sir roger said:

Reading that we get an extra £14m for reaching the final with another potential £5m for the ultimate winners. We will be going full strength. 

Reading that we get to have a massive day out in Paris if we get to the final and another potential big eared trophy for the ultimate winners.

We will be putting out the team Klopp feels is best with every intent to win it.

26 minutes ago, Bob Spunkmouse said:

Reading that we get to have a massive day out in Paris if we get to the final and another potential big eared trophy for the ultimate winners.

We will be putting out the team Klopp feels is best with every intent to win it.

Was more a comment regarding posters seemingly undervaluing this match and wanting to rest players for a CL semi final to be fresh for Newcastle.

• Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, sir roger said:

Was more a comment regarding posters seemingly undervaluing this match and wanting to rest players for a CL semi final to be fresh for Newcastle.

I was just having a jest mate

• Upvote 1

16 hours ago, Scott_M said:

That’s a good point on the away goal rule. I’m not sure what’ll it’ll mean for either sides game plan.

Obvious to say but I think it’s down to us tomorrow. Crowd pumping, fast start, unsettle them… hopefully the goals will come.

I watched their game v Bayern, they played well. It was like our performances v Juventus and Chelsea in 2005. It’s easy to say Bayern were poor but I’d say Villarreal made them play poorly.

Is Gerard Moreno fit? They have Danjuma who did precisely fuck all at Bournemouth knocking them in, 

Moreno had a hamstring injury a week ago and was due to miss this game but haven't heard anything about him being back. 

Helped them that they never played at all at the weekend.