You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Has lockdown fucked people up?

Section_31

Some reaches on here. Kids have been slown down for years through lack of computer games and being hooked on iPads etc instead of playing out. People are acting like lockdown was far more drastic than it was. Intermittent times where you couldn’t go to a bar/restaurant but shops were still open. As for masks, were people wearing masks in-doors? Do kids normally pay attention to strangers talking? Did parents and siblings stop interacting with their children? No. 

Lockdown was by no means perfect for anyone but it was a valid solution to a far more dangerous problem. I suspect a few using it as an excuse for societal issues likely have more of an “I told you so” agenda rather than a realistic view of reality. 

13 hours ago, Strontium said:

I read something about this recently. They literally don't know how to talk because they haven't seen how human mouths make sounds. It's unbelievably sad.

I saw that too. It sounded unbelievably overplayed. As Howie said, were families wearing masks at home? I don’t think so

To Sections original question almost definitely yes, I see far more of peoples online personas and bizarre behavior being acted out, I get the impression a lot of people have lost a bit of the capacity to socially engage and the psychological effect has certainly caused a toll.

Because I was commuting and working during the entire period I know feel extremely lucky not to have gone through that isolating period, things were tough in the hospitals, but at least they gave me something active to do, instead of being stuck in the same four walls for ages at a time, which I only experienced when my wife contracted Covid later in the pandemic.

5 minutes ago, Moctezuma said:

To Sections original question almost definitely yes, I see far more of peoples online personas and bizarre behavior being acted out, I get the impression a lot of people have lost a bit of the capacity to socially engage and the psychological effect has certainly caused a toll.

Because I was commuting and working during the entire period I know feel extremely lucky not to have gone through that isolating period, things were tough in the hospitals, but at least they gave me something active to do, instead of being stuck in the same four walls for ages at a time, which I only experienced when my wife contracted Covid later in the pandemic.

I think the psychological effect of a global pandemic that wiped out millions in a short space of time (Including peoples loved ones either dying or getting poorly) has had far more of an effect than things like lockdown/masks etc. 

Although all thrown in together of course the impact is terrible. It could have easily been a lot worse. 

49 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Some reaches on here. Kids have been slown down for years through lack of computer games and being hooked on iPads etc instead of playing out. People are acting like lockdown was far more drastic than it was. Intermittent times where you couldn’t go to a bar/restaurant but shops were still open. As for masks, were people wearing masks in-doors? Do kids normally pay attention to strangers talking? Did parents and siblings stop interacting with their children? No. 

Lockdown was by no means perfect for anyone but it was a valid solution to a far more dangerous problem. I suspect a few using it as an excuse for societal issues likely have more of an “I told you so” agenda rather than a realistic view of reality. 

Stig kids aren't one catch all group. There are loads of different categories hugely affected by lockdown in different ways. Kids at nursery age (3-4) would have been developing with kids their own age but instead where stuck in a house with adults. Kids going from primary to secondary education and having the first year taken from them, same with those going to third level. Even kids playing sport, those with hopes of a professional career that where 13 or 14 missed the most important year of their development. 

The thread isn't about whether it was right or wrong, it's about the facts, has it fucked people up. For the kids above we will never know but it will be nice to remember that tomorrow's weirdos were lockdown kids.

• Upvote 1

20 minutes ago, No2 said:

Stig kids aren't one catch all group. There are loads of different categories hugely affected by lockdown in different ways. Kids at nursery age (3-4) would have been developing with kids their own age but instead where stuck in a house with adults. Kids going from primary to secondary education and having the first year taken from them, same with those going to third level. Even kids playing sport, those with hopes of a professional career that where 13 or 14 missed the most important year of their development. 

The thread isn't about whether it was right or wrong, it's about the facts, has it fucked people up. For the kids above we will never know but it will be nice to remember that tomorrow's weirdos were lockdown kids.

Mate, agreed that's the age group most likely to have been effected by lack of interaction with others because it's such an important development age. Absolutely.

I just don't think 'lockdown' has had the impact on wider society that some are suggesting. We will only know in the coming years of course but people were still cunts before the pandemic. 

Todays weirdos are were playstation/xbox kids. 

I know the title says, “lockdown” but I think you’re over fixating on that word. I took it to mean the entirety of what we’ve been through due to Covid: death, illness, fear, job loss, financial hardship, insularity, overuse of social media, education gaps, etc. There isn’t one element of Covid to blame for what’s happening; it’s all of it. 

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Paul said:

I know the title says, “lockdown” but I think you’re over fixating on that word. I took it to mean the entirety of what we’ve been through due to Covid: death, illness, fear, job loss, financial hardship, insularity, overuse of social media, education gaps, etc. There isn’t one element of Covid to blame for what’s happening; it’s all of it. 

Good post here, agreed.

Still waiting for @Rico1304 to weigh in on why his kids will have it "better" than he did.

My opinion on the state of the average 18-20 year old college student can be backed up with some shocking statistics, as I'm responsible for admissions and managing our program.

Before pandemic the failure / dropout rate was around 10% (it's a tough program). This last year it was 23%.

Average marks for students dropped about 5% (that's a lot). You could tell that many of them were just not prepared at all. Not entirely their fault, of course.

It is/was an unfortunate blip, not a generational trend. Our students are usually like a well trained group of Marines. This year more like Russian conscripts.

22 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Medical advances alone.  Anything else?

Well, you need medical insurance for one. Do you think folks should really be excited to live longer if their quality of life is shit?

"Don't worry about having to work 50 hours a week to barely pay for food, housing and transportation - the doc is going to see to it that you get to do it for 10 years longer. It's great innit!"

That's the best you have? Cuz that is lame.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Well, you need medical insurance for one. Do you think folks should really be excited to live longer if their quality of life is shit?

"Don't worry about having to work 50 hours a week to barely pay for food, housing and transportation - the doc is going to see to it that you get to do it for 10 years longer. It's great innit!"

Lame as fuck.

Not to mention no one fucking wants to give anyone a job past the age of around 45.

So we live till 90... 45 years unemployed, roofless, hungry, skint etc...

Hurrah.

4 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

We don't need medical insurance in this country Howie. 

10 minutes ago, s(k)aturation said:

Lame as fuck.

Not to mention no one fucking wants to give anyone a job past the age of around 45.

So we live till 90... 45 years unemployed, roofless, hungry, skint etc...

Hurrah.

Is is fuck. Having fewer things that will kill you, or seriously impact your life makes it better.  Say they crack brain chemistry and depression is a thing of the past

16 minutes ago, TheHowieLama said:

Fucking nonsense.  Complete shite. 

All those cunts dying of say, diabetes, 80 years would suggest that medical advances are pretty important. 

3 minutes ago, Rico1304 said:

Am I really hearing that medical advances aren’t a good thing just so that a few moaning bastards can claim the world is going to hell in a handcart? 

You usually hear what you want to, n'est-ce pas?

Long may it continue.

It's a free country etc...

Rico is 49, I fail to see how kids haven't got it better in 2022 that they did in 1973. 

Is it perfect? No. Have there been amazing advances in medicines, technology, opportunity and life expectancy? yes. How it even up for debate? 

It's by no means perfect but fucking hell. Suppose the music was better back then.