You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Has lockdown fucked people up?

Section_31

Didn't want it to get lost in the Covid thread mess, but found this article interesting. This is something we've seen in footy matches too.  I noticed immediately post lockdown people seemed a bit.... boisterous, but it tapered off.

There's young kids coming through in the Mrs's school through who literally communicate in grunts. 

Interesting times ahead. 

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2022/apr/21/forgotten-how-to-behave-comics-say-audiences-more-abusive-post-lockdown

• Upvote 1

I think British society has gradually become more and more racist since Brexit and certainly since ISIS were causing shit a few years before. I don't think that article really demonstrates anything that can be blamed on lockdowns except maybe a few dickheads have forgotten how to handle their drink when they're out. 

Hecklers (even racist ones) are nothing new. 

I do think the division in the country is making people more partizan though and that of course includes Anti/Pro masks, lockdowns, vaccines. Society is more divided than I can remember in my lifetime. 

• Upvote 1

8 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

Didn't want it to get lost in the Covid thread mess, but found this article interesting. This is something we've seen in footy matches too.  I noticed immediately post lockdown people seemed a bit.... boisterous, but it tapered off.

There's young kids coming through in the Mrs's school through who literally communicate in grunts. 

Interesting times ahead. 

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2022/apr/21/forgotten-how-to-behave-comics-say-audiences-more-abusive-post-lockdown

I think it's more than just lockdown, although that has to be a factor. An increasingly polarised social media with its shouty echo chambers, the media's lurch to the right, Farage and his "ignored voices" rhetoric pre and post Brexit etc. The list goes on, but ultimately, cunts have been emboldened to feel that everyone needs to hear their cunt opinions because they will not be silenced or whatever. Cunts.

I’m certainly changed; whether those changes turn out to be permanent only time will tell.

I have lost all interest in meeting in a big group, socially or at work. I’ve never been a big group person but would go along because I was invited. Having not been allowed to do that has been such a pleasure and now that those invitations are out there again I’ve realised I don’t need them in my life and just choose to say no.

I’ve also not been out of the UK in all that time and haven’t actually missed that and more importantly can’t justify flying in environmental grounds just for my own pleasure when there are so many beautiful parts of these islands to visit 

• Upvote 6

7 minutes ago, Champ said:

I’m certainly changed; whether those changes turn out to be permanent only time will tell.

I have lost all interest in meeting in a big group, socially or at work. I’ve never been a big group person but would go along because I was invited. Having not been allowed to do that has been such a pleasure and now that those invitations are out there again I’ve realised I don’t need them in my life and just choose to say no.

I’ve also not been out of the UK in all that time and haven’t actually missed that and more importantly can’t justify flying in environmental grounds just for my own pleasure when there are so many beautiful parts of these islands to visit 

Sounds like they're positive changes for you mate? 

22 minutes ago, Section_31 said:

I read something about this recently. They literally don't know how to talk because they haven't seen how human mouths make sounds. It's unbelievably sad.

2 minutes ago, Bjornebye said:

Sounds like they're positive changes for you mate? 

Definitely. 

I was reading about a survey where a large percentage of respondents spoke about their friendship group being smaller than before. I think it’s shown us who we want to spend our time with

• Upvote 1

My life has completely changed. I'm almost not seeing people in real life anymore and it almost seems like a special event when I do.

My visits to my sister in the care home are dictated by if its under lockdown or not and there was a 7 month period where we were unable to see each other. I nursed my Mother through first lockdown. She was basically released from hospital after 6 weeks when we had the first cases here. I remember walking through Stoke Mandeville hospital and seeing posters advising people if they have just come back from China or Italy in the early days of the Pandemic. Mum passed in July 2020 (unrelated illness) and I had effectively moved into her bungalow to care for her in the last few months as she was in no condition to look after herself.  I had spent 2016-18 caring for my sister and then 18-20 for my Mum and my life was full of those demands so when those demands dropped off, life felt extraordinarily strange.

I took over my Mums property from the local authority as we shared dogs that lived there and the local authority werent too interested in moving people in the main throes of the Pandemic. I have been able to address issues with my own life that had taken a back seat during the intervening four years. 

I still work from home, Im working on my part time degree, where I have been able to do two complete years almost uninterrupted, and two thirds of the way to my qualification, which looked a milliom miles off before.

The world frustrates me with the politics and how expensive everything is, but Im in my little space with my dog (I did lose one along the way) and can switch off from it.

I do sometimes feel Im a little too comfortable being at home and havent quite got to getting out and about as I did before. Perhaps that will come in time.

• Upvote 8

Surely the 'Where's Romesh ? ' shout was just a riff on the earlier incident, and I think a lecture on racism from Nish for that is a bit precious. Comedians have had far worse hurled at them forever so not seeing anything in that article specifically pointing at lockdown. As alluded to by Champ I think there have been many small changes, positive and negative, that are interesting and may expand going forward. I am also far less sociable than I was pre-lockdown and don't miss it at all.

2 hours ago, Section_31 said:

Interesting times ahead. 

There’s a national crisis of mental health and behaviour deterioration in pupils in schools post-lockdown. Also loads more staff absence from mental health issues. 

• Upvote 1

Absolutely, yes.

On a personal level, I've probably become more of an introvert, if that was even possible. Very little socializing, no travel, can't even be bothered to go grocery shopping. Also much more frustrated and angry in certain situations, like I'll mention now...

As an instructor teaching young adults, I am horrified at how (in general) the last two years have destroyed a generation of their basic skills and responsibilities. I'm not sure what most 18 - 19 years old were doing the last couple of years, but it wasn't homework. At that age, kids need to concentrate and focus, but I don't think they had anyone pushing them.

Now at college, I can't seem to get through to them at all. Deadlines are mere suggestions. Putting in the proper effort seems too much work for many of them. I can hardly get 40% of them to attend class regularly !

As S31 said, interesting times ahead. I fear for the future more than ever.

The biggest sufferers from lockdown are young children.

From speech delay issues, to starting pre school without basic skills, to communication issues, to things like sharing/waiting turn etc etc etc....

There is a big, big problem there...

As for grown adults acting like twats in audiences etc thst is simply down to them being twats.

• Upvote 1

Lockdown was always going to have some impact further down the line but the impact of not locking down would have been a lot worse IMO. It’s not like we were completely locked indoors and unable to move for months on end either. 

Neither situation was fun, ideal or wanted but the decision to lockdown saved lives. Thousands and thousands of lives. 

The whole situation was (and still is because no matter how much anyone tries to say it’s gone away, it hasn’t) a horrible period in history. 

• Upvote 1

I honestly don't know what the main drivers are. I think as a society we've debased ourselves since Brexit, egged on by the media and talking heads like Farage and now Johnson.

It's like when a parent swears in front of their kids and the kid thinks it's okay. 

Our social norms have been upturned and many of the most negative have been reinforced. 

Nothing seems unacceptable anymore, especially when it's anonymous such as when online or part of a crowd.

As Neko says though there is something going on with young people too. Maybe it's because they're the first born into a world where you don't play out and only define yourselves by filtered online images, I don't know. Me and the Mrs have both noticed with work experience people in our respective jobs a massive deterioration in the last five years or so. 

3 hours ago, Strontium said:

I read something about this recently. They literally don't know how to talk because they haven't seen how human mouths make sounds. It's unbelievably sad.

Ha ha ha. I mean I know a blind person and it so sad they couldn’t speak.  Fuck off. 

• Upvote 1