You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Man City 2 Liverpool 3 (Apr 16 2022)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

My confidence against City has taken a real battering over recent seasons. I went from being bullish to the point of telling the world that City are terrified of us, to fretting that they’ve got our number and that we need to change what we do in order to match them. 

I felt differently going into this one though and I was confident. Not my usual notorious over confidence, but I did think we’d win when I saw City’s starting eleven. Even before that I was talking myself into us winning.

I started to feel confident in midweek really after seeing what they had to go through in Madrid. Our lads either had their feet up or their slippers on, while City were going to war against the most horrible team in world football. To go through what they did and then have to deal with a fresh and fired up Liverpool… I honestly don’t think that’s possible. And then when I saw the team Guardiola had picked, that’s when I felt that they were there for the taking.

Not because it was a really weak line up. Clearly it wasn’t. That team would win against most opponents. We’re not most opponents though. To face us without Ederson, Walker, Laporte, Dias, Rodri and De Bruyne, yeah that’s a seriously tall order, despite the quality they still had. Especially given how fired up and rabid our lads were obviously going to be.

That said, 3-0 at half time was much more than I was expecting. The way the game went wasn’t surprising to me, I thought we’d be on the front foot and would be fresher than them, but scoring three unanswered goals was not something I’d have predicted. We were good value for it though.

Without the ball we were incredible in that first half. With it we were pretty good too but I think we can do better. I’m not we can do any better without the ball though as we just smothered them. 

I’m not sure why City tried to play out from the back as much as they did. I thought they’d learnt that lesson years ago as they’ve really toned that down since. Maybe it was due to the changes they made and they wanted to keep the ball more to conserve energy. 

Whatever the reason I’m glad they did it, because they were just laying down a trail of chum in the water for our hungry sharks. 

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full article

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £3 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic

Great report Dave. Have to say I dont see the 2nd half many others do. I think we were on the back foot right from when city scored within a minute of the restart. The words 'keep it tight and dont give away an early goal' just didnt seem to register with the player who'd been brilliant in the first half.

I know city didnt score again until the 91st minute, in part due to Alli's saves and a great block by Virgil and I thought we were really stretched. I dont mind admitting from being very comfortable after 45 minutes to my arse letting go in the 91st.

Said before, Im concerned at the goal we're now shipping even if city are as good as us.

Great report Dave. This is the team/manager of our lives, make no mistake. I thought the 87-88 team (5-0 Forest) were the best but this lot are on another level. Thiago, oh my god what a player! Trent, the guy who ‘can’t defend’ - what a pile of balls! If Salah can throw the switch then who knows where this will end up…

Great job sir.

How on earth we ended up with three yellow cards to their two, I'll never know.

We left immediately after the final whistle (sorry and all) and saw a minor scuffle halfway down the Wembley Way, caused by their lot being more than a little provocative. They were bolstered, no doubt, by their fans outnumbering ours by about 10 to 1; so many of them had left early. That's the only time they outnumbered us. There were huge numbers of empty seats in their end. A whole section of unsold seats were hidden by an enormous Man City flag. 

Anyone know what the fuck was that golden Blue Peter-esque ship doing going back and forth in their end? 

• Upvote 1

Great report, Dave. Agree with most of it. We certainly controlled majority of the 2nd half. They created chances in that half but so did we. 3-2 flattered them. Thought we also did well to take the sting out of any momentum they could have gotten from their first goal.

Which is probably why Pep didn't bother throwing on any subs for most of the game. He knew that at 3-1, we were mostly in charge of that game. The only sub he made was Mahrez for Jesus due to injury. It's great that even in the periods when we were outplayed by them in the first two games, we never got blown away like they did by us on Saturday.

Which is why I previously stated that Pep hasn't really figured us out per se. It's now 2 wins each and 3 draws from 7 games in the past 3 seasons. If City had racked up 4 or 5 wins from those 7 games against us, then I would have truly believed they had our number.

• Upvote 2

You make a great point there, Dave, should we overcome Villareal....  

It is ridiculous to think we could make all 3 Cup finals and top 2 in the League.

I do actually fear we'll only finish with one trophy - which would be an absolute travesty - but what an unbelievable performance, regardless.

And all this, against and in the face of the most financially privileged, unfairly advantaged team in the history of the game... which does, unfortunately, make it very very difficult to enjoy.

Maybe this is a little what it felt like for everyone else in the 70s/80s, when we were "invincible"... but back then, no one came near to living anywhere near with us as consistently and sustainably as we are with City.

Amazing.

Great article but I do slightly disagree with the point on Naby. I love Hendo and until about now he'd have been nailed on as one of the three, but I think Naby is now in the conversation as he is giving us something Hendo isn't. He's half a yard sharper to the ball which is crucial with our press, he's using it slightly better and more positively, and he's been superb with it in tight spaces, which makes a crucial difference against city's press.

• Upvote 1

Great report. Can't agree on Oliver, though. I thought he was awful, for the Fernandinho non-decisions if nothing else. He also could easily have booked the rat a couple of times in the first half, yet who gets the first booking?! It's somewhere between a mystery and a scandal that we picked up more bookings than them.

As much as everyone (media-wise) has been banging on about our supposed defensive issues, I'm more concerned about our wastefulness at the other end. We should have had at least another 4 or 5 across two legs against Benfica and we should have picked this lot off in the 2nd half on Saturday. Mo is the main problem, but we could be doing better at turning good attacks into clear chances, and converting the clear chances we do create. (I guess I could just settle for averaging three goals a game!)

There are a lot of teams out there who wish they had our 'problems'! 

• Upvote 4

5 hours ago, etho said:

Great article but I do slightly disagree with the point on Naby. I love Hendo and until about now he'd have been nailed on as one of the three, but I think Naby is now in the conversation as he is giving us something Hendo isn't. He's half a yard sharper to the ball which is crucial with our press, he's using it slightly better and more positively, and he's been superb with it in tight spaces, which makes a crucial difference against city's press.

Agreed. I would have been shocked to see us field the same midfield against City twice. Fabinho took a lot of flak last time out, but Hendo rarely gave him an out ball all afternoon last time. 

To the bolded part, he's just a much better presser and ball-winner than (at least the current version of) Hendo. I mentioned this in another thread, but playing against the top sides (Chelsea, City, Madrid) we either need to replace Hendo or bring in Bobby to gain control of the midfield. Hendo is just too passive in his pressing, he literally never wins the ball against the very best midfielders, and if we want to set the press from the front, we need everyone to be a real threat to the opposition. I know Hendo looks busy, but he never really gets close enough to the opposition player with the ball for fear of being gone past. Keita's way of playing is much more volatile, giving us different issues than when Hendo is playing. Hendo plays it safe, Keita goes for the ball. It will give us a better press overall, and more chances created, but as Keita isn't perfect in his execution of it, he will also give the opposition a couple more chances to get behind our midfield whenever he misses his attempt to nick the ball. For us to play Klopp football though, I'll take Keita over Henderson against the top sides. Against the mid-table sides, our pressing doesn't need to be perfect, as they will relent the ball much more easily. We'll cope fine against Utd for example with less aggressive press. It's a bit easier making Pogba and McTominay lose the ball in possession than Kovacic, Mount, Foden, Silva, Kroos and Modric.

I'm sure Klopp will defend Hendo to the hilt for his leadership, enthusiasm, his verbal qualities, his attitude etc. On the field against the top sides though, I think Hendo's on the verge of being replaced with Keita. I'll give Hendo this though, he's been through tough periods before and come out of them stronger. Might be age, might be recurring injuries, he's had a rough few months on the field in my opinion. I sincerely hope he'll get to lift a couple more trophies this season, and I hope he stays on as club captain as he's guaranteed to be a great influence in the dressing room and on the training pitch. I just don't want him to start the most important games BECAUSE he's the club captain (I don't think Klopp does that, either). We've had captains on the wane before, and with such a strong leadership culture in the squad, I don't think it matters that much that the 1st captain is playing, as long as van Dijk is there, or even Trent/Robbo.

Anyway, nice to have you back on the reports and pod, Dave! 

• Upvote 6

11 hours ago, s(k)aturation said:

I do actually fear we'll only finish with one trophy - which would be an absolute travesty - but what an unbelievable performance, regardless.

I've a feeling this is what will happen, shades of Leverkusen in 2002 (they didn't have a league cup to ease the pain though).

I'm absolutely not ready to be putting Keita ahead of Hendo. He hasn't done anywhere near enough yet for me.

That said, enough people are suggesting it to make me consider that I might not be seeing something because I don't want to. Maybe I've got Hendo blinkers on.

I fully expect a fired up Hendo to absolutely fucking rip United a new one tomorrow, but if not then maybe I need to rethink my position.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, dave u said:

I'm absolutely not ready to be putting Keita ahead of Hendo. He hasn't done anywhere near enough yet for me.

That said, enough people are suggesting it to make me consider that I might not be seeing something because I don't want to. Maybe I've got Hendo blinkers on.

I fully expect a fired up Hendo to absolutely fucking rip United a new one tomorrow, but if not then maybe I need to rethink my position.

I've always backed Hendo but he doesn't look right lately. A bit slower to the ball and more reluctant to put a tackle in. Maybe he's nursing an injury. Hopefully it's just a patch of poor form because we need him firing for the run-in. 

21 hours ago, lebron said:

Agreed. I would have been shocked to see us field the same midfield against City twice. Fabinho took a lot of flak last time out, but Hendo rarely gave him an out ball all afternoon last time. 

To the bolded part, he's just a much better presser and ball-winner than (at least the current version of) Hendo. I mentioned this in another thread, but playing against the top sides (Chelsea, City, Madrid) we either need to replace Hendo or bring in Bobby to gain control of the midfield. Hendo is just too passive in his pressing, he literally never wins the ball against the very best midfielders, and if we want to set the press from the front, we need everyone to be a real threat to the opposition. I know Hendo looks busy, but he never really gets close enough to the opposition player with the ball for fear of being gone past. Keita's way of playing is much more volatile, giving us different issues than when Hendo is playing. Hendo plays it safe, Keita goes for the ball. It will give us a better press overall, and more chances created, but as Keita isn't perfect in his execution of it, he will also give the opposition a couple more chances to get behind our midfield whenever he misses his attempt to nick the ball. For us to play Klopp football though, I'll take Keita over Henderson against the top sides. Against the mid-table sides, our pressing doesn't need to be perfect, as they will relent the ball much more easily. We'll cope fine against Utd for example with less aggressive press. It's a bit easier making Pogba and McTominay lose the ball in possession than Kovacic, Mount, Foden, Silva, Kroos and Modric.

I'm sure Klopp will defend Hendo to the hilt for his leadership, enthusiasm, his verbal qualities, his attitude etc. On the field against the top sides though, I think Hendo's on the verge of being replaced with Keita. I'll give Hendo this though, he's been through tough periods before and come out of them stronger. Might be age, might be recurring injuries, he's had a rough few months on the field in my opinion. I sincerely hope he'll get to lift a couple more trophies this season, and I hope he stays on as club captain as he's guaranteed to be a great influence in the dressing room and on the training pitch. I just don't want him to start the most important games BECAUSE he's the club captain (I don't think Klopp does that, either). We've had captains on the wane before, and with such a strong leadership culture in the squad, I don't think it matters that much that the 1st captain is playing, as long as van Dijk is there, or even Trent/Robbo.

Anyway, nice to have you back on the reports and pod, Dave! 

I agree with the looking busy part. 

He does plenty of running and chasing the ball but their players had plenty of time to get a pass away by the time he gets to them and by then he's also out of position with a load of space behind him. 

Thiago just seems to have a knack for being in the right place, he won the ball back a lot because he was already near to their player receiving the ball so he was on to them quickly without exerting himself too much. 

Can't fault Hendos effort, but he needs to be more intelligent with his positioning and knowing when to press and when to mark their outs. 

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, dave u said:

Nah, I agree with you, Dave. Keita hasnt done nearly enough to consider replacing Hendo. I find it strange people are overlooking Keitalosing possession and wildly firing shots miles wide. I dont subscribe this this view some are spouting about Henderson being a 'coward'?!

Fucking hell, I may not think a player is good enough but calling one of the manager's most trusted players a coward? Have a word with yourselves.

When Jurgen decides and sees Hendo isnt worth a regular place in the team, he'll act on it. Like I keep saying, everyone in the Liverpool team can pass sideways and backwards. Except Hendo. Then the usual detractor is droning on and on about him.

I thought Henderson's only poor moment during the game was when he just didnt seemalert to snuff out one of city's attacks not long after he came on.Not sure if it was the lead up to their 2nd goal or just an attack.

19 hours ago, stringvest said:

I don’t believe Henderson has a dominant performance in him, I certainly haven’t seen one in years. If he plays and produces a match winning performance I’ll be genuinely over the moon, but I shall not hold my breath for it. 

Years???

Goodison this season he was ridiculously dominant. One of the best individual displays we've seen all season.

• Upvote 3

• dave u unpinned this topic
44 minutes ago, dave u said:

Years???

Goodison this season he was ridiculously dominant. One of the best individual displays we've seen all season.

It must have been one of the (few) games I’ve missed as I genuinely don’t remember any dominant performances.   Anyway, if he puts one in tonight and we win we’ll all be happy.  

4 hours ago, dave u said:

Years???

Not sure what everyone else are saying about Hendo, but being dominant against Everton just about proves my point that he still has a part to play. Just not in the games against high quality, press resistant midfielders.

He can still alter the tempo in a game with his drive, enthusiasm and verbal contributions. Playing him tonight is  obvious for example. I just don't want to see him in the games against Chelsea, Real, City, and I'm also not thrilled with him against really poor teams that defend super-low. While I don't agree with the term coward, his passing and lack of take-ons/shots in those games are certainly on the bland side of what I want from my number 8's...