You are viewing this page as a guest. That means you are either a member who has not logged in, or you have not yet registered with us. Signing up for an account only takes a minute and it means you will no longer see this annoying box! It will also allow you to get involved with our friendly(ish!) community and take part in the discussions on our forums. And because we're feeling generous, if you sign up for a free account we will give you a month's free trial access to our subscriber only content with no obligation to commit. Register an account and then send a private message to @dave u and he'll hook you up with a subscription.

Liverpool 3 Benfica 3 (Apr 13 2022)

tlw content

dave_usher.jpg

Report by
Dave Usher

I don’t really have any particularly strong opinions on this one. In the micro it’s not good. A home draw to follow up the defeat we had to Inter in the last round is something of a concern. Giving away three goals is bad and what makes it worse is it could easily have been more. Then you zoom out to look at the macro and it’s a much brighter picture.

We qualified for the semi finals with a bit to spare despite resting more or the less the entire starting line up. We didn’t win the game, but then we didn’t need to. We just needed to win the tie, which we did, comfortably. While it didn’t look good seeing Benfica repeatedly get in behind our high line, would that have happened if we’d have been at full throttle, let alone fielded our best team? Unlikely.

We’re at the business end of the season and every result counts. If we can catch a breather, rest players and not fully exert those who do play while still being able to achieve the result we need, then that’s cause for celebration, not concern. We did what we needed to do and we did it with the minimum of effort. I can’t criticise that, especially as it’s how I’ve lived my whole life. 

I’m not completely dismissing the more worrying elements of the performance but I’m not wasting too much energy worrying about them either, especially as it wasn’t the line up that we’ll be counting on for the next couple of months. I thought overall we played pretty well and we controlled virtually all of the game. We created chances, scored goals, and played some lovely football.

We also looked wide open and could have conceded more than three. That points towards defensive frailty, but I don’t think it was the back four who were culpable for it really. We play a high line and the defence did what we always do, but when you do that with no real pressure on the ball you can come unstuck. And we did. Often.

That’s always going to happen if we aren’t playing at full throttle, and in a game like this we’d have been stupid to play at full throttle. So while there is a nagging concern that teams might finally be figuring out how to stay onside and get in behind us, it’s hard to judge that in a game like this.

This is just a teaser, click here to view the full report

Please note that Match Reports are only available to website subscribers. Subscriptions cost just £3 a month (you need to register first) and can be purchased here. 

• Upvote 2

• dave u pinned this topic
  • dave u unpinned this topic